traffic camera protection?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
traffic camera protection?

Does anyone know of a product that covers your license plate (see through) and not allowing a picture to be taken?

It would seem like someone would have a clear film that would go dark or cloudy when a flash was applied from above.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
They make plastic overlays which make your plate unreadable if viewed over 15 degrees or so off center. Check out the link below (there's one on the bottom of the page).

In some states you might get ticketed because the cops will say you're obscuring your plate....

http://www.radartest.com/JOS.html
Old 01-29-2002, 12:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: traffic camera protection?

Originally posted by stevebo
Does anyone know of a product that covers your license plate (see through) and not allowing a picture to be taken?

It would seem like someone would have a clear film that would go dark or cloudy when a flash was applied from above.
I know exactly what you mean. Fresno has put up 3 camera sets with the same company that's been doing yours in San Diego. I heard that some tickets were overturned in SD because of something with the company making money off of each ticket or something. Anyhow they've been having lots of problems with the cameras in Fresno and so they keep having to postpone the 30 day warning period (prior to actual ticketing). What sucks is that not too long ago they shorted the yellow by half a second. Literally there are intersections that you can enter (while traveling the speed limit) while the light is green, and the light turn yellow then red before you can exit. I just hope they never put cameras at those intersections. I wonder if those plate covers are legal in Cali.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:35 PM

ive heard of a reflective spray paint that u spray on the plate that makes it blank out when a camera flashes near it, however every time i take pics of my car the plates blank out by themselves. BTW i thought those cameras didnt use flashes. sounds dangerous for oncoming drivers if it goes off in their face.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:19 PM
Racer

I don't think they are legal in Cali, but everyone has them. Put it on and if you get a ticket it's like a $10 fine. At least that's how much I got fined in SF for not having my front plate on and I have to figure not having a plate vs. covering your plate has to be more expensive if there is a price difference.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:32 PM
Pro

What sucks is that not too long ago they shorted the yellow by half a second. Literally there are intersections that you can enter (while traveling the speed limit) while the light is green, and the light turn yellow then red before you can exit.
I know what you mean, in BC, the new government got rid of the regular speed enforcement radar cameras but have added more red light cameras.

Since then I've particularly noticed one major intersection (Boundary & Kingsway) where the yellow light has been shorten to <1sec. WTF!
Old 01-29-2002, 03:41 PM
Racer

Camera protection

I don't know if this will work but 3M makes a great privacy screen that are used on computers. When viewed at about 20-25 degrees off center, it will turn pitch black. Other screen just blurs but the 3M one will turn black. They also make it for laptops which are thiner than for monitors. Maybe you can cut these out to fit the plate. But the 3M privacy screens costs a lot!

-Thai