Too Much Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:06 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too Much Voltage

Last night I got in my car and it started fine, but my SRS, Battery, Brake and one other light I can't remember came on. Called my dad and drove home. The whole way when I was sitting at a stop light, all my dashboard lights would go off, but then as soon as I stepped on the gas they'd all come back on. I got to my house and my dad put it on the computer and everything says it checks out just fine. After trying a few things we realized that the battery was putting out more voltage than it was supposed to. It looked like what was happening was maybe the voltage regulator wasn't working properly and instead of letting things burn up, the car was turning certain systems off and causing the lights to come on when there was too much voltage. I know that in newer cars the computer regulates the voltage, but I'm not sure if that's true for my '99. I've looked around but can't seem to find out if the alternator regulates the voltage or if the computer does.

FYI - We recently replaced the alternator with a new one along with a new battery.

Any thoughts or can anyone tell me what regulates the voltage in my particular car?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:35 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, my son took me to work today so we could order a replacement alternator and replace it tomorrow. I came home this evening and went to get something out of my car and the car is completely dead. Absolutely NOTHING is working on it. It wouldn't even unlock the doors or open the trunk. Ugh! I'm so frustrated with this car. I was so happy when I bought it and I'm affraid I bought an $8000 lemon. I've had it a year and a half and I've had to replace the ignition switch, the alternator (twice as of tomorrow) and the battery. Cars are so cheap right now that I'm seriously considering just buying me a brand new Scion.