TL or VW PASSAT GLX ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2000, 03:04 PM

Post TL or VW PASSAT GLX ???

Hi,

I'm interested in buying a new car and would like to hear your opinions.

I was pretty much settled on VW PASSAT GLX with manual transmission, but somehow I started thinking about the TL. Now the more I think about it the more I like the TL.

Here are some major reasons why I wanted PASSAT:
- I'm European and wanted European car.
- It is the only car in its price and size category that is being offered with Manual transmission.
- The interior is simple, yet beautiful.
- It's quiet, smooth and quick.
- The interior is large and has the folding rear seat.
- I like the way it handles. Not too soft, not too hard.
- Excellent crash tests.

Here are some reasons why I would choose ACURA over PASSAT:
- I like thy styling better. It seems more athletic.
- Better warranty.
- It might be a bit quicker since it has extra 35HP.
- Better resale value due to ACURA name.
- The reliability seems better.
- Navigation might be a nice thing.
- CD player is already build in.

I really can't think of anything that I wouldn't like about the ACURA.

Maybe you can help me. Here are some questions I have:

1. Have some of you thought about purchasing the PASSAT? If so, why did you end up buying ACURA?

2. Did you have to pay MSRP price or were you able to negotiate?

3. Are you happy with the Audio system?

4. Are you happy with the Navigation system?

5. What other cars would you compare TL with, in terms of performance and handling?

6. Do you actually use the manual gear shifts? Are you happy with it?

7. Please provide any other information that would help me decide.

Thank You very much, Pavel.
Old 11-15-2000, 03:10 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
My wife was recently in the market for a new car. Her choices were Passat, A4 and 325i. She said if I didn't have to TL already, she would have gotten one or the Accord V6. Well, she ended up getting the MDX

The TL is nice, the sportshift is awesome. Unless I am on the phone, I use the sportshift all the time. Mine never had a problem with squeaks. If you like soft suspension, you will like the TL. If you like performance driving, all it takes is a set of lowering springs and some better tires.

Get the TL.

------------------
Honda-Acura.net TL Forum Moderator.

1999 Silver with factory body kit, spoiler and burlwood instrument cluster and shift knob. Joshua Tree Wood dash kit. Hella air horns. Tint all around. Razo competition pedals. MOMO Sport 18"X7.5" with 225/40ZR Pirelli P7000SS. Weapon-R intake. Comptech springs, exhaust and headers. Inspire Tailights, homemade ram-air and Polarg M-12 front turn signals. Comptech front and rear sway bar. Axxis Metal Master front and rear pads.

My AcuraTL Homepage

NEW: '01 Acura MDX Silver Premium

Old 11-15-2000, 03:30 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by PK:
[B]Hi,

I'm interested in buying a new car and would like to hear your opinions.

I was pretty much settled on VW PASSAT GLX with manual transmission, but somehow I started thinking about the TL. Now the more I think about it the more I like the TL.

Here are some major reasons why I wanted PASSAT:
- I'm European and wanted European car.
- It is the only car in its price and size category that is being offered with Manual transmission.
- The interior is simple, yet beautiful.
- It's quiet, smooth and quick.
- The interior is large and has the folding rear seat.
- I like the way it handles. Not too soft, not too hard.
- Excellent crash tests.

Here are some reasons why I would choose ACURA over PASSAT:
- I like thy styling better. It seems more athletic.
- Better warranty.
- It might be a bit quicker since it has extra 35HP.
- Better resale value due to ACURA name.
- The reliability seems better.
- Navigation might be a nice thing.
- CD player is already build in.

I really can't think of anything that I wouldn't like about the ACURA.

Maybe you can help me. Here are some questions I have:
1. Have some of you thought about purchasing the PASSAT? If so, why did you end up buying ACURA?
Quality

Got them much lower then MSRP

I'm a audiophile so I replaced it.
YES!!

5. What other cars would you compare TL with, in terms of performance and handling?
I shopped a ES300,528i,IS300, C280
Everytime I feel like the sport feel and it rocks.
The TL IMHO is the best value for your money and thats why I bought it.!

------------------
2000 Laguana Green / NAVI, 35% Mirror Tint all over,2 x JL12W6s, Pioneer Premier P920R, MB Quarts Coaxial, PPI 2600.2 and 4400.2 , Pioneer 620 6Disc
My Acura
Old 11-15-2000, 03:36 PM
Banned

Well... I was considering Passat as well but chose Acura for reliability alone... and here are some points for and against Passat:
I'm European and wanted European car.
Yeah right...
It is the only car in its price and size category that is being offered with Manual transmission.
Probably the only good point... but try VW's ManuMatic it's better than Acura's....
The interior is simple, yet beautiful.
Can't get much simpler/beautiful/functional than the Acura/Honda.....
It's quiet, smooth and quick.
Same as Acura... no point here...
The interior is large and has the folding rear seat.
How many times do you use folding seat...
I like the way it handles. Not too soft, not too hard.
Test drive Acura again....
Excellent crash tests.
Same as Acura/Honda...
Navigation might be a nice thing.
Depending on where you live... does not cover all areas...
CD player is already build in.
Who cares you going to get a CD changer anyway...
Did you have to pay MSRP price or were you able to negotiate?
The price I paid for non-nav was $27100... one with navigation would run you $2K more....
Are you happy with the Audio system?
Getting a CD changer... sound is good....
What other cars would you compare TL with, in terms of performance and handling?
Maxima... I30... GS300... Passat...
Do you actually use the manual gear shifts?
In my first month I used it a lot... now very rarely... mostly in slow traffic... automatic is great!

Get the Passat.... when the new model arrives....

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 11-15-2000, 03:41 PM
Racer

I consider the Passat the only real competition to the TL, in terms of performance, luxury, and price.

I'd say they're very different flavors of the same dish; The Passat is a European take on a high-value, high-practicality sedan, and the TL is the Japanese take on the same thing.

The Passat offers a firmer ride and slightly better responsiveness, and the options of AWD and a manual transmission. It is very stylish. The TL offers a more luxurious ride, more opulence, and more features. Hmm, maybe 'different' features is more like it; The Passat GLX has 2 things I would have loved to have on the TL - memory driver's seat and rear reading lights. But the TL has Xenon lights, built-in CD player, Autostick, and the option of the nav system.

1. I drove both cars extensively, and would have taken a closer look at the Passat when it was time to buy, but my wife was worried about the VW's long-term reliability. We had owned an Acura before, and the experience was great - 1 real problem in nearly 8 years. I couldn't argue with her logic, especially since I preferred the TL to the GLX. I prefer its ingot-like solidity and composure to the more lively personality of the Passat. The TL feels more expensive to me. But it's not (keep reading):

2. We didn't get a great break on the TL (they're way too popular in MA), but it is still cheaper than a GLX, especially one with 4Motion (we didn't get the Acura navigation system...)

3. I'm happy with the stereo, after rolling the treble off a tiny bit. It's pleasant, and not fatiguing to listen to over a long trip. Others will disagree, and I won't argue with them, especially if they say the system needs seperate tweeters. But I save my audiophile impulses for my home system (tubes and Class A, man!).

4. I can't personally comment on the navigation system. It's very well-reviewed, and those who have it love it. But I've got no problem using maps the 5% of the time I don't know where I'm going. And I don't understand why half of the climate controls are buttons, and half are touch-screen controls...

5. Accord EX, Passat GLS V6 and GLX, BMW 323i (sedan and wagon), Lexus ES300, Lincoln LS, used BMW 528i. I think that's it. The TL was obviously worth $4-5k more than the Accord - no contest. The 3-series was too small in back (we've got a growing 7-year-old.) The Lexus is overpriced and boring (although really, really lovely...), the Lincoln is a Ford, and I just had a horrible experience with a Contour . It's also small inside and underpowered. The 5-series was too expensive. And the Passat; well, I liked the TL more.

I hope this helped. Good luck!

------------------
David

Black-on-Black non-NAV 2000
Old 11-15-2000, 09:06 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
when i was in the marked for a car i was deciding between the 99 cl i got and the passat. If i could of taken it back i would of gotten the passat. 1.8T though because the CL lacks from an ability to tune. Throw a chip in the passat and your at 190+Hp's and 250+ lb.ft. All for 400$. But if you want an automatic and a little bit more luxury definately get the.

if i could now, i'd get a 4motion passat 1.8T
Old 11-15-2000, 09:48 PM
Pro

Here are 10 reasons why you should buy ACURA TL:

1. Acura is ranked #1 for quality and
durability

2. TL is quicker

3. TL is larger inside and out

4. Runs cleaner

5. Great value

6. awesome performer (ranked #1 in all
automobile magezines car comparison for
the year 2000)

7. great on gas

8. great resale value

9. lasting styling

10. People like us to help you with when
ever you have a question or concern.

Old 11-15-2000, 11:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

doesnt the passat compare to the accord? i feel the tl is in a higher class. the wise choice is the tl. id say, if you really want the manual, do the passat
Old 11-15-2000, 11:40 PM
Drifting

European cars aren't neccesary to be better.
you can get a Maxima with manual transmission.
the interior in the TL is more beautiful, and more luxurious.
the TL is very quiet, very smooth and very smooth.
the TL's bigger than Passat.
the TL handles great, and if you don't like the stock handling, get a new set of springs.
the TL has excellent crash test, too.
the TL's got great value, for what you pay for, it's awesome.
it is a lot quicker, read our killing stories.
navigation is great.
CD player is very nice and the sound system is awesome.

I have, I chose TL because it's bigger, faster, and better value.
you're able to megotiate, but not too much since it's hot.
I'm very happy.
I don't have NAVI...
performance and handling??? performance=Porsche Boxster manual (very close)
handling=performance sedans.
we got acura-tl.com, but there's no vw-passat.com
you're welcome.

------------------
2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Burlwood Trim and Shift Knob
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
I DONT'T HAVE A LIFE
Old 11-16-2000, 04:22 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cas i would be driving this car for about 6+ years so i'll need a car that would last.... and the acura looked better too...and navigation... etc

piad 32G out the door with navi and mud guard wheel lock and vehical protection package

no, but i'll liuve..

very...but sometimes it dopes get stupid on me...

if price were not involved
i30, e320, gs300, 528i.

yes, and yes

if you want it to last... go acura... if you want to lease it... i'm guessing the passat sort of provide more *fun* since its all wheel drive if im not mistaking , and i've herd from a friend that choose passat over Tl cas he felt the passat was more solid (whatever that ment...)

------------------
Bad ass TL...but...
Cant afford Mods.....
Old 11-16-2000, 06:36 AM
Racer

We were also thinking of buying a passat but a few things leaned us to the TL. First of all... $38 Grand (canadian) for a friggin VOLKSWAGEN??!?! The TL is cheaper than a GLX I believe, yet the TL has more features than a Passat. The TL has way more value, where else can you find Xenon lights standard in a car this price range? Honestly I don't think I can ever go back to halogen lights, if not only for the Xenon's functionality, but just it's damn cool looks. Finally, I think the Passat is an oddly styled car, not proportioned. The TL has smoother more homogeneous styling. GO FOR THE TL!!
Old 11-16-2000, 07:02 AM

I want to thank everyone for their opinions. Please keep replying to my post.

I haven't made my decision yet, but I think I'm leaning toward the TL for now. I'll probably test drive one this Saturday. That should help, since I've never driven one.

I will post my first driving experience and some more questions after that first Test Drive.

Oh, I actually have one more question. Is the SportShift in the TL same as in the Honda Prelude? My brother has it and he's very happy with it. The only thing that he doesn't like is a slight lag when up shifting.

Thank You, Pavel.
Old 11-16-2000, 07:41 AM
Banned

Lightbulb

One more thing I forgot to add before... the MAIN reason I didn't get the Passat was that my wife didn't like the styling... sometimes I still wish I would've gotten a Passat....

P.S. Get the VW but wait for the new one to come out!

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 11-16-2000, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by grishulia:
Get the VW but wait for the new one to come out!
I noticed that you answered almost all of my questions in favor of ACURA, but then you recommend the Passat. What would be the reasons for you to purchase the Passat? I know you mentioned the New Passat, but that won't be here till march or april. It's also not a new generation of a Passat, but rather just a light styling redesign.

Thank You,
Pavel.
Old 11-16-2000, 09:48 AM
Banned

Question

I can't tell you the exact reason but if not for my wife I would've taken the Passat... very close call... just a matter of taste...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 11-16-2000, 10:50 AM
Racer

VW:has a turbo
cool interior lights
bigger interior
unique design
has a turbo
real leather
auto up/down windows
solidly built
5-speed

TL:sportier design
more reliable
HID's
VTEC
cheaper aftermarket parts
acura-tl.com
there's more...just can't think after an exam.

how about waiting for the S6?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by bahreeTL on 11-16-2000 @ ]</font>
Old 11-16-2000, 01:12 PM
Racer

Pavel, are you Polish by any chance? I Am. Anyways, just to give you more things to think about, check out new Volvo S60! If I didn't have my TL, I would look it up. Volvo is like Acura when it comes to reliability. I know that from personal experience, I had 3 Volvos. 150k miles on a Volvo is nothing.

Acura: nice styling, argonomic design, ladies like it alot , resell value, engine, alot of stuff for your $, really BAD paint job, cool SS tranny, the front seat is so unconfortable,

Passat: cheaper version of Audi --> quality, good engine design, true manual, european,

S60: Quality, SAFETY, resell value, performance (246 HP high pressure turbo), european,
Hmm, I will probably get killed by TL owners, but hey, you ask it first

------------------
2000 TL Pearl White w\o nav
1991 Volvo 940 Turbo Traded

"Just Shut Up and Enjoy the Ride"
Old 11-16-2000, 04:05 PM
Racer

I think the Passat looks wrong as far as dimesions go. It's a stretched A4, and it show when you look at the seating positions, versus the width of the car. Also, the 2.8 V6, if that's what you are looking at, doesn't not have torque. 5 valves on an engine that was not terribly torquey when it was 2 valves per cylinder. It is kinda slow compared to the TL.

If you want a manual, I say 2001 Nissan Maxima SE all the way. Get the 20th anniversary package if you can, either way go for the 17" wheels.......damn those are pretty

------------------
"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." --Dark Helmet

www.distributed.net
Old 11-16-2000, 06:18 PM
Pro

Originally posted by PK:

Thank You very much, Pavel.
1. Hey , a very similar case to me again , well I've been a european (German) cars addict , so when I switched my car just 5 months ago I was thinking of switching to a Passat , well I test drove one , judging from my standard , handling,accel,cornering i give it an "okay" compare to my previous 5 series , but when I test-drove the TL , the first thing that came to my mind was the unbelievable priced of the options in the car ,navigation,heatedseats,leather,convenicence stuffs, everything was only 30k , and the ride quality isn't second to beemer , so why bother with car's nationality.

2. You can negotiate , but need a lots of patience and haggling , get around 1000-1500 off.

3. Audio is just OK ... , Subwoofer rattles when I first bought the car , rarely heard of it nowadays.

4. Navigation rocks , much much better than the sucky BMW Nav System, slightly better than Mercedes Nav System.

5. The Enemy to the teeth Lexus IS-300 !! a close competitor , Lincoln LS 3.0 L , Infiniti I-30 , can't think of anything else.

6. Well , the grade logic downshift is annoying sometimes , the computer interferes too much with the transmission , but I think it's just allright , when you feel like floor the pedal , it's really a fun toy to play with.

7. Well , in terms of value , for me Acura-TL is a clear winner to Passat , just go to acura.com website and compare their features. Passat's drive feeling has the same feeling as driving japanese car, only the interior that's so german. It has more muscle too , well i would say IMHO, again , IMHO , it's funny you should ask between Passat and TL , since TL is all the way to me.

------------------
2000 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL
Mugen Front Grille
Mugen Front Half Spoiler
Factory Kit coming up
Old 11-16-2000, 07:24 PM

I was thinking about the PASSAT...but went with the TL...I didn't like the lack of power on the PASSAT at all....try punching the PASSAT at around 35-40 MPH. There is huge hesitation in my opinion...and could be dangerous when trying to manuever in the freeways.

I was able to negotiate a good deal...figure at least $1000-$1500 off msrp.

Audio system is OK....and just OK.

Navigation system is a nice touch....it is a luxury item and not needed....it also depends on the line of work you're in and could be useful as it is smart enough to figure out and recalculate if you make wrong turns intentionally....

I drove the Lexus IS300, but the Lexus was too pricy and too small for me. I also looked at the Honda Accord, VW Jetta, Toyota Solara, BMW 328i, MB C class.

I do use the manual quite a bit...I'm really happy with it. I can swith to manual mode (minus the clutch) and have some fun while driving.

I was in your shoes...it's tough. I don't regret my decision...I'm VERY happy with my ACURA. I would suggest reading other posts on this site to get a better feel for what you're getting with the TL.

GOOD LUCK with your decision.
Old 11-16-2000, 07:49 PM

Smile

I was in same boat as you and I chose the TL after having owned a Maxima. It just dawned on me that one of my first cars was a Honda and you cannot beat Japanese quality. Also, own a Honda lawnmower. IMHO Honda is just more innovative and never had a black mark on quality (ie: old Audi's), resale also important and the Acura is simply not just a trendy car for now.
Old 11-17-2000, 01:22 PM

PK, I was actually going to buy the Passat but at the time the demand was too much for the supply! I wanted the V6 and since the engine was shared with the A4, it was too hard to find the right combination I wanted. The dealer couldn't say when or what was coming in and I couldn't wait. So I settled for the TL. The TL is a good buy but the problem is that it's built in America! Although the engine/drivetrain is exceptional, the fit and finish is terrible. For a $30,000 car the quality control should be much, much better. If I had to do it over I'd probably buy the Passat. They have much more aftermarket parts and accessories available and probably cheaper than the Acura stuff. But if you do get the TL you have to stay with this forum. This site is probably the best thing that happened to the Acura TL! If ou like to buy stuff for your car, get the Passat!
Old 11-17-2000, 01:56 PM
Rx Master

Thumbs up

first off i'd like to say that I leased the 2001 cl-s. But when i started my car shoppin, I had my I on the 2000 maxima se, audi a4, vw passat, and the eclipse spyder. I test drove all the cars except the vw. TO me the passat is a wanna be audi a6 and i personally didnt like the way it looked inside and out. I have driven in it and I didnt thin it was all that great.

As far as the other cars, the maxima was as always a great ride, but i have already owned 2 maximas so i wanted something different, and as far as the eclipse spyder, they were askin for way to much money when it 1st came out, over 3 grand over list price. The audi A4 fwas the nicest drive but it was slow in the 2.8 quatrro.

When i arrived at the acura dealership to look at the TL, i was very perplexed because as I had 1 eye on the CL-s that was in the show room, there was a kick ass white tl with navigation and the aero kit on it. I was so confused on which I wanted. The Tl is the nicest 4 door car on the market for under 30 grand and if I hadent had 2 four door cars before, I would have taken that exact car in teh showroom.

My choice, like I said was the CL-s becasue of the raw power in a luxrious ride. but between the passat and the TL, u must choose the TL, its soooooooo much nicer and u have a forum like this one that rocks.

------------------
silver CL-S no navi, spoiler, tint all around, sun visor, and eurolights fog lights, and bel 950 radar detector
Old 11-17-2000, 05:42 PM
Instructor

personally, i dont see any reason to buy a passat. for the same price, you can buy a BMW 325i. unless, you have a couple 200 lbs kids that need to sit in the back.