TL VS. GSR= TOTALED CAR!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2001, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation TL VS. GSR= TOTALED CAR!!!!!

Just so happens i was driving by the street races. Ran into a Red GSR. I decided to race him. We get someone to flag us... He pulls on me in the first two gears, but then I caught up and started to pass on third gear. By now we were dead even. I see the end of the track, it is a 110 degree turn coming up so I slow down( I know the road, driven down it many times ). He kept on accelerating... I watched the poor guy slam on his brakes. He then lost traction (in the rear end) and tried to correct himself only to make his car spin into a 180 degree turn. The back end of his car hit the curb, hopped over it only to slam into a tree on the sidewalk. His car was TOTALED & SMOKING BADLY(on top of the curb against a tree!). I pulled over immediately! He was bleeding but able to get out of his car by himself. The poor guy was pretty mad! He borrowed my cell phone to call his friend who then came to pick him up. Basically he left his car there. I apologized to him that we ever raced as he told me that he was never racing again either(We left on good terms =]) Whoa fellas! some scary sh*t! Imagine if that was my TL wrapped around the tree? TOTALLED! OMG! I can't even imagine what that guy is goin to do or what I would do in that situation.

I've made a quick decision to go and buy the comptech sways and a new brake kit. One major reason why he lost control was because he was riding on stock height with 17" rims. Honestly, that was a pretty decent turn and a very wide street!

I also want to say that im not racing for a while... Please be careful guys! I'm fine with driving a "decent looking" car.

00 3.2 TL w/o nav
Comptech springs
AEM Cold Air Intake
AEM Pulleys
Wings West Kit
Factory Wing
Old 05-19-2001, 06:02 AM
Burning Brakes

where in LA?

------------------
Some Said, "TL Type S," Soon They Will Say, "Wannabe TL-S." Laguna METALLIC, Navi, Side Cuts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1700x Fogs custom cut into side holes, Akimoto Intake, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter, Comptech Sways making me ride on rails...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...026&Auth=false
Old 05-19-2001, 07:17 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Edr0e:
One major reason why he lost control was because he was riding on stock height with 17" rims. Honestly, that was a pretty decent turn and a very wide street!
The real reason why he was hurt was, for driving too fast for road-conditions, especially in an area which he did not seem familiar with.

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 05-19-2001, 08:07 AM
Burning Brakes

What good is racing at all if you're dead or paralyzed and you can't drive your TL anyways? Think about it, your TL with these new upgrades you are talking about is still not indestructable.

You feel bad now, however imagine if the guy was more seriously hurt and you would have to explain that to the police and live with that sort of guilt.

Old 05-19-2001, 12:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

When i hear those stories...i want to challenge EVERYBODY...into my own race. Let's see who can live the longest....who'd like to join me?
Old 05-19-2001, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by merlyn:
When i hear those stories...i want to challenge EVERYBODY...into my own race. Let's see who can live the longest....who'd like to join me?
I'm in...
Old 05-19-2001, 12:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Now guys, don't take that the wrong way. I love speed, and i've done some very stupid things...but,why do we race? So we can feel better on how we spent money...that's it. There is a small few of us that actually race for the trill of speed and adventure, i.e. to get away from it (to feel free). But please be careful guys! You don't control everything that happens around you, even on a closed-course.
Old 05-19-2001, 04:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Same sort of thing happened to me one time. I raced a Firebird Formula one time in my 3000GT (he was killing me of course, it's not a turbo). We were on a long straight shot and I was doing around 100mph or so and the kid was leaving me. I knew there was a fairly sharp curve coming up and slowed down, but I watched the kid try to hang it without touching his brakes once. He dropped two wheel of the road, spund around facing me, then hit the ditch and flipped about 6 or 7 time before landing upside down (and his t-tops were off by the way). He and his passenger were only about 16 yrs. old and his dad had just bought him the car brand new a couple of months earlier. Both ended up being very lucky and walked away with only some scrapes and bruises. Can't say that it made me stopped racing completely, but there is a limit to what I'll do and where I'll race.
Old 05-19-2001, 05:38 PM
Pro

Amen!
Old 05-19-2001, 09:03 PM
Racer

Originally posted by merlyn:
----------------------------------

Originally posted by Danny with a silver stock:
I'm in...
me too

------------------
2001 Naples Gold non/nav, Burlwood shifter, Comptech Springs & Sways, Comptech Drop in Filter on order, 02 Tails, Clifford Concept600, PIAA 1700X in basement, Inspire Switch in basement, Streeteffectz audio upgrade coming soon, Polarg M12 on order
Old 05-19-2001, 11:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

It doesn't end, does it?
www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/007932.html
Old 05-20-2001, 12:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Yea, you might want to watch out for those curves....
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator
'66 Mustang Fastback
'99 Mazda Miata
'99 Acura TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech Springs and Sways, CL Type S wheels wrapped with 225/45/17 Dunlop SP9000's, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, Gutter Guard Grille, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?