TL Vs. Accord V6EX

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2001, 02:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post TL Vs. Accord V6EX

ok. all kidding aside, how are we really different than the accords? I personally think it's a superior upgrade, but many people do not. it's like we're the middle child. like the accord who wanted to be an ls 430 and a 540i...

------------------
Some Say "TL Type S," Navi, Spoiler, Side Cuts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1700x Fogs custom cut into side holes, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter, Comptech Sways making me ride on rails...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...026&Auth=false
Old 01-20-2001, 09:51 AM
Pro

I think some people would just only recognize Mercedes, BMW and Lexus as luxury cars too. very superficial, and some of it based on incredible marketing, or lack of such in the case of Acura. The TL is definitely a luxury edition car built on the Honda Midsize platform which of course we share with the Accord. The new accord comes with quite a few of what our TL's come with, but its still an Accord. As wonderful a car the Accord is, the TL has been set up with upgrades unavailable in the Honda to set it apart. Most are subtle, so the masses may not be able to discern the difference. I personally like the slight differences, such as rear seat vents for heat and air, heated seats and mirrors, more powerful engine, and of course the sportshift. I also like the look better that the Accord, better image to me.
Acura could improve the image of the cars if they could set themselves aprt more from Honda by improving the quality of their dealerships experience for clients, eliminate the integra or move that to the honda lineup, absorb the S2000 into their lineup, and mayeb make a few bolder moves into the performance and luxury markets by maintaining a type-s lineup. Just my opinion.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by yu888 on January 20, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 01-20-2001, 10:43 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, here is the reason why I got my TL and not the Accord.

1. The more powerful engine
2. The 5-speed trany
3. Better styling
4. I don't think the Accord have TCS
5. I am still very young, and don't wanna get a Accord and look just like another ricer
Old 01-20-2001, 10:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

In 2001 TCS in Accord in V6 class & 6-disc cd changer.Why I chose TL than Accord V6 coupe.Is
1.auto dimming inside rearview mirrors
2.HID Xenon high light
3.no power seat in passage side
4.5 speed sportshif
5.More power.

------------------
2000 3.2TL w/o nav
stock spoiler
Bosch 4+ platinum spark plug
25% Tint/Mud guards/
acura-tl.com sticker at front windshield
Old 01-20-2001, 12:27 PM
Pro

accords are in a class w/ ford taurus, mitsu galant, and "regular family cars" like that.

TL's are more "entry-level luxury cars" like lexus ES300, Infiniti I30, mitsu diamante, and for younger people like us an alternative to BMW 3 series and lexus is300.

Accords are great cars, when my mom was shopping for a car a couple of years ago I insisted she get an accord. She never regretted it.
Now that I'm shopping I'd like something more sporty, luxurious, better looking, & faster
enter the TL.

------------------
- Nick, shopping for an 01 or 02, w/ or w/out nav
Old 01-20-2001, 01:08 PM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember guys? My wife had a 98 Accord V6 Coupe. IMO, the worst car I ever bought. Now I'm not saying that it's the worst car, just worst one I bought. I'm sure it's better than a Civic or Corolla. The TL is a lot smoother and quieter. However, the Accord had more leg room in the rear, could this be cuz we had bigger trunk?

------------------
2000 TL Taffeta White
Factory Body Kit and Spoiler
18' DAZZ MATIZ
Tenzo 700X Fogs
Custom Mesh Grille
Custom Mesh Bumper Center
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI
Greddy CatBack Exhaust
Inspire Tails
Inspire Steering Wheel
Burlwood Knob
Apexi V-AFC
Old 01-20-2001, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by AC:
Remember guys? My wife had a 98 Accord V6 Coupe. IMO, the worst car I ever bought. Now I'm not saying that it's the worst car, just worst one I bought. I'm sure it's better than a Civic or Corolla. The TL is a lot smoother and quieter. However, the Accord had more leg room in the rear, could this be cuz we had bigger trunk?

Iam not sure AC but the head room I think is less in the TL I had all the specs for the TL & Accord EX V6 I would be over on Edmunds fussing with those guys about each car. The head room is less because the TL roof is raked more for style.
I would read all the Consumer & Car reviws from some newspapers about the TL vs Accord EX V6. One review said that many people think that the TL is an overpriced Accord.
The review also said that the Toyota Camry was closer to a Lexus ES300 Than A TL to an Accord.

Old 01-20-2001, 01:27 PM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by FTM-1:
Originally posted by AC:

Iam not sure AC but the head room I think is less in the TL I had all the specs for the TL & Accord EX V6 I would be over on Edmunds fussing with those guys about each car. The head room is less because the TL roof is raked more for style.
I would read all the Consumer & Car reviws from some newspapers about the TL vs Accord EX V6. One review said that many people think that the TL is an overpriced Accord.
The review also said that the Toyota Camry was closer to a Lexus ES300 Than A TL to an Accord.

Not knocking anyone with the Accord, but if they drove both the TL and Accord and realize that it is only like$3000 difference most would cough it up, IMO. Of course there are those cheap bastards that $3000 is not worth the upgrade, but not everyone is financially independent so I really can't say.

------------------
2000 TL Taffeta White
Factory Body Kit and Spoiler
18' DAZZ MATIZ
Tenzo 700X Fogs
Custom Mesh Grille
Custom Mesh Bumper Center
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI
Greddy CatBack Exhaust
Inspire Tails
Inspire Steering Wheel
Burlwood Knob
Apexi V-AFC
Old 01-20-2001, 02:32 PM
Cruisin'

My family owns both, 2000 TL and 2001 Accord EX V6, and the TL was well worth the extra price. You just sit in the TL, and u can see the difference, it is much better, but Im not dissing the Accord, its nice as well!
Old 01-20-2001, 02:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't knock the Accord at all but when I went to purchase a new car I wanted one I cold be happy with for at least 5yrs.
I owned the 90 & 94 Accords & was happy when I purchased them as new cars. I got the TL for the extra luxury, sport,power the gadets, style all of what the top of the line Accord could not offer.
Old 01-20-2001, 03:13 PM
Pro

I asked myself the same question when I was deciding which car to get but you know what there are some things that are not mentioned in specs.

For example the leather in the Accord looks really really cheap compared to the TL. I am sure it's a lower grade leather. Yeah, the specs will tell you both models come with leather interior BUT they are not equal. Same when comparing a Mercedes to Acura. Materials used are different.

There are also other things which sets the TL apart from the Accord such as the suspension is set up and the much better sound insulation. So as with all things in life you get what you pay for ...but only pay for what you need.
Old 01-21-2001, 08:55 PM

I've been looking at cars for two weeks. I consider the TL a luxury sports sedan. I test drove the Lexus ES300 and that car is a pig compared to the TL. The Accord is nice and a very good bargain but it doesn't have the fit and finish of the TL and after buying my S2000 I fell in love with Xenon headlights. I just can't wait to bring the TL home tomorrow, finally a car for the wife that I will love to drive as well
Old 01-21-2001, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Don't forget the TL is based on a stretched Accord chassis. TL's chassis is 2" longer. There are a number of options on the TL that you can't get on the Accord:
TCS
Heated seats
Bose system
etcetc..
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 01-21-2001, 09:54 PM
Pro

The 2001 Accord EX V6 has TCS standard. The 2000 and earlier Accords did not have it standard. The Accord also has got the 6-disc in-dash CD-changer like the 3.2CL/CL-s while the TL has a single CD player. The rear seats in the TL are fixed (with a ski pass-through) while the Accord can drop the rear seats down for more cargo space, the rear seat legroom is better in the Accord. The Accord also gets slightly better city mileage (20mpg vs 19mpg).

It is also true that the TL is longer (192.9" vs 188.8"), has a longer wheelbase (108.1" vs 106.9"), shares not a single body panel with the Accord Sedan , sits lower etc..etc...etc... Lots of differences like HID lights, Navigation system, front and rear suspensions of the TL mounted on isolating sub-frames unlike the Accord, auto-dimming rear-view mirror, heated front seats and heated outside mirrors, rear A/C vents in the TL, larger capacity Alternator in the TL, larger brakes/rotors, larger alloy wheels (16" vs 15"), higher axle ratio (4.43 vs 4.2), larger stabilizer bars in the TL when compared to the Accord, slightly larger fuel tank in the TL, better highway mileage in the TL vs the Accord (29mpg vs 28mpg), 2 power accessory outlets vs 1 in the Accord and myriad other subtle and not-so-subtle differences in addition to the engine being larger with more HP and Torque, the transmission being a class exclusive 5-speed sportshift automatic vs the regular 4-speed of the Accord etc...whether it is worth $3000 or whatever more, is upto the purchaser...also, IMHO, if you are purchasing the 2001 TL without the NAV, I would advice to save some more money and spring for the Accord EX V6...which will fetch you 80% of the TL (for 80% of the TL's cost) (basically, you get what you pay for)...just my 2c

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 01-21-2001, 10:21 PM

I'm not getting the Nav system, I don't see that as a reason to drop down to the Accord I can drive anywhere in Florida without the help of gps. I wouldn't buy any vehicle with the nav option, I just don't need it.

------------------
Honda S2000
Silver/Black

2001 TL (Tomorrow)
Haven't chosen the color yet)
Old 01-22-2001, 04:33 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Well the same reason I bought an LX instead of an EX apply for a TL as well.
- I don't like leather! Getting burned in the summers down south really sucks! I don't like sliding on my seat while ripping up the twisties... I don't like having cracked seats after a few years because of the sunlight.
- I don't like climate control! I want to control my AC. I don't want it blasting me with hot or cold air when I start my car up. I'm a control freak. I'll adjust the fan and temperature as I see fit.
- I don't like sunroof/moonroofs. Unless your trying to pump your stereo while cruising down the strip to get attention, it doesn't do anything for me that rolling down my rear windows wouldn't do.
- I need a back see that folds down. I often attend LAN parties where folding tables are needed and the only way you are gonna fit one in your car is if the entire back seat folds down,

Now having said that I will say this:
- I love the body styling of the TL compared to the Accord. In fact the Accord was my second to least favorite body style when I went car shopping (Camry was the worst). The Galant has excellent exterior styling in my opinion but the interior build quality is absoultely horrible.
- The Engine! Man, what I wouldn't give for the 3.2L engine of the TL in my Accord.
- The 5 speed transmission. See above.

Price wasn't a concern for me when I bought my car, but I wanted the best bang for the buck that I could still mod, and the LX V6 Sedan is what did it for me. I could have spent $50k on a car and paid cash but my income isn't such that I could easily afford the car insurance for a car like that. You should have seen the salesperson's face when a 22 old year "kid" whipped out the check book to pay for his first new car.

------------------
Brian =B-)
2000 Accord LX V6 Sedan White - 3,310 lbs w/ driver - 170HP & 160ft/lbs
- Koni Yellows & Eibach Pro-Kit (1.5" drop)
- Red AEM Short RAM Intake (8-10hp & 5-6 ft/lbs gain on a DynoJet)
- Red AEM Tru Power Pulleys (10hp @ 5,600rpms & 11ft/lbs @ 4,600rpms gain on a DynoJet)
- 15.45 @ 88.8mph (Track) [with AEM intake/pulleys] 0-60mph 7.2 sec (G-Tech) [with intake/pulleys]
Old 01-22-2001, 05:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well said Bnut, in the Accord point of view (at least yours).

In my case, I like the stuff that you don't like, Leather Seats, Sunroof, climate control...so thats why I got the TL.

------------------
'00 White Diamond Perl w/Nav
Wings West Spoiler
Comptech Exaust
Rear Comptech Sway bar
Old 01-23-2001, 02:49 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

As I mature I'm sure I'll see the necessity for all the things my current Accord LX currently lacks and buy a car that has all those goodies.

------------------
Brian =B-)
2000 Accord LX V6 Sedan White - 3,310 lbs w/ driver - 170HP & 160ft/lbs
- Koni Yellows & Eibach Pro-Kit (1.5" drop)
- Red AEM Short RAM Intake (8-10hp & 5-6 ft/lbs gain on a DynoJet)
- Red AEM Tru Power Pulleys (10hp @ 5,600rpms & 11ft/lbs @ 4,600rpms gain on a DynoJet)
- 15.45 @ 88.8mph (Track) [with AEM intake/pulleys] 0-60mph 7.2 sec (G-Tech) [with intake/pulleys]
Old 01-23-2001, 02:59 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Cool

I had an Accord LX before. And when I was looking, I tested the new Accord V6, the features are what you would expect. For me, the engine is what did it, I could feel the power of my TL compared to the Accord. One last thing that I considered what how many of each of these cars were out there. Everybody and their uncle owns and Accord, but how many people you know have a TL? I love my TL, it gives me a sense of confidence for someone my age... borderlining on arrogance. When people see me driving my car and I happen to catch them looking, they have this "Look at this young guy driving that TL, is he selling drugs or something" on their face... its really cool!
Old 01-23-2001, 03:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by AC:

Not knocking anyone with the Accord, but if they drove both the TL and Accord and realize that it is only like$3000 difference most would cough it up, IMO. Of course there are those cheap bastards that $3000 is not worth the upgrade, but not everyone is financially independent so I really can't say.
I'd have to disagree on the $3000 difference, a friend of mine bought his TL for cash the price was $27200, he was also quoted $21500 for the top of the line EX-V6 and that is more of a $5700 difference.
I have no idea why he still got the TL but for almost $6K Accord is well worth it.

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-23-2001, 03:17 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Don't forget the issue of prestige and exclusivity the Acura name plate over the Honda name plate. Honda deliberately engineers and markets Acura to be an upscale division and gets all the new techs such as VSA, and coming-up i-VTEC. People with extra disposable income will tend to buy Acura over Honda (or Lexus over Toyota, or Infinity over Nissan, or Audi over Volks, or even Cadillac over other GM) for a comparable car just to differentiate themselves from the ordinary. This cannot be expressed in dollar terms.