TL (type s) upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 09:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL (type s) upgrades

Et all,
Infrequent viewer, so pardon if following has already been discussed by our Acura meachanics. I owe a 00TL with Comptech headers/exhaust/springs & AEM shortram. I want more hp...but still pass smog.

Can you install type S camshafts onto my non-S heads ? (anyone know the spec lift/dur diff ?)

Can you install just the type S intake manifold onto my engine w/o changing throttle body ?

Can you just install a type S throttle body and use my stock ECU/harness, etc.. ?

Anyone hear of doing a valve job (port match int/exh) and shaving .020 - .030 off for more compresssion on non S heads ? (piston/val clearance with type S cams ?)

tx in advance.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:10 AM
Burning Brakes

i dont know the answers to ur questions, but wouldn't it b cheaper if u jus took off ur mods and traded it in for a type-S?
Old 08-01-2002, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by WiLz
i dont know the answers to ur questions, but wouldn't it b cheaper if u jus took off ur mods and traded it in for a type-S?
I'm with him
Old 08-01-2002, 02:08 PM
Advanced

I agree with the content, but couldn't quite figure out what wilz was trying to say.

I hate it when someone takes the keys off my keyboard. I feel your pain, wilz
Old 08-01-2002, 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Birch
I agree with the content, but couldn't quite figure out what wilz was trying to say.

I hate it when someone takes the keys off my keyboard. I feel your pain, wilz
haha sorry too much aim and icq...but as long as u can undertand the contents :thefinger
Old 08-01-2002, 03:28 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: TL (type s) upgrades

Originally posted by RichWDP
Et all,
Infrequent viewer, so pardon if following has already been discussed by our Acura meachanics. I owe a 00TL with Comptech headers/exhaust/springs & AEM shortram. I want more hp...but still pass smog.

Can you install type S camshafts onto my non-S heads ? (anyone know the spec lift/dur diff ?)

Can you install just the type S intake manifold onto my engine w/o changing throttle body ?

Can you just install a type S throttle body and use my stock ECU/harness, etc.. ?

Anyone hear of doing a valve job (port match int/exh) and shaving .020 - .030 off for more compresssion on non S heads ? (piston/val clearance with type S cams ?)

tx in advance.
Humm. camshaft should, fit, not like they would make any difference, maybe MDX cams would make a difference.

Type S manifold can be installed, but you will need to do some other upgrades, I think you will need a new ECU, which by the way is like $1k new $500 use. Same gois for the throtle body.

Now port match and smothing is possible, but costly. you can't do that if you alreay have headers, because you no longer have an exhaust manifold. To raise the compression, you will need to change the psitons or shave the heads, not recomended.

That is all I could help you with, BTW just get a type S.