TL for a Teenager?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey kids. im one of you teenagers and the bottom inescapable principal is this: humans are not rational creatures. happiness is a function of appreciation and with a TL not being that far behind the top luxo models of all cars in the world, how would a young person have room to move up? as a teen, if you already get a TL compared to a 30 yr old who has gone through beater cars and moved up slowly, the 30 yr old will be more appreciative and in turn happier in the end. guys, the truth is that no one knows everything and we do not especially in our TEEN yrs. realize brash confidence when you see or hear it. you can shoot ahead and get the TL first, but you're only cheating yourself out of life's experience. nevermind, im sure the other kids are flustered as it is...
Life experiences…this is the time of are life. We are living are lives daily. To enjoy every moment, from the younger day to the older. Yeah, as I get older I really do begin to become wiser. I understand more than I was younger. And this car I drive, I respect it 100%. I drive very responsible.

If I shot ahead to get this car, cool. Now, I will continue to shoot ahead and work for the better. I will never downgrade from a TL.
Is this what you do in life? Get ahead and don’t look back.

Peace
Old 02-13-2002, 09:35 AM
Instructor

yes, I'm young and starting my life. I'm trying to suceed in life. I may be confident, but I have the will.
Old 02-13-2002, 03:01 PM
Advanced

Exclamation

u know...i think the 20 yr old guy is right...lil kids like us 16-18...19? needs to stop showing off and junk wit our cars and etc...its really not ours...or at least we didn't pay for it...so lets not brag about driving a good car with good system and respect elder TL owners by not acting like u know everything...

It really made me think...thanks...the dude who sold your explorer and payed some lot for your car...and is still paying off..i think i'll give this car back to my mother and drive the payed off 97 mazda protege...
Old 02-13-2002, 03:13 PM
Banned

[TL]Ridah:

I don't mean kids can't have nice cars...just realize who it came from if your parents paid for it ya know. And don't act all uppity when it's not really yours. Hell, once I get this thing paid off...believe me I'm going to be uppity...but until then...it's not mine...

Austin519
Old 02-13-2002, 04:11 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by Austin519
Jaydef:
Chill out man. Seriously. I know I, and I belive others...who were talking about annoying teenagers getting new cars are referring to those 16-18 whose parents just buy them cars for their 16th, 17th, and 18th birthdays for no reason. I'm 20...my parents helped me with my first car...a used 96 explorer...they gave me $5000. I paid the other $12k. I traded that in to help pay for my new TLS, and am still paying it off. I get very pissed off seeing kids...yeah, kids...driving around in their brand new shiny cars...not because it's not a car I can't have...or because they're a teenager and got it for free...but because I don't think they really honestly appreciate it...I don't think anyone does unless you actually pay for the car yourself...make your car payments or save up for years to buy it...work those 70 hour weeks to get the money up. And if that was not enough...they call it their car, and try to act all cool with what they have. I find it funny because it's not really theirs...it's just a show of their parents wealth and/or spoiling them. Reminds me a lot of some of the people I've installed stereos for. I spend the labor, work, and creativity installing the stereo...and they're proud of it like it is their work of art...and they go brag about how it looks and how smooth it is. But it really isn't theirs, they didn't build it. Just like those teenagers didn't make their own money. If you paid for your car, then you don't fit in the same category...

Oh, by the way, I just turned 20 in December...so I was a teenager less than 9 weeks ago...

Austin519
Could not have said it better. I believe thats exactly what I said. If you work for it, it means more and you will likely take better care of it.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:12 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by BLEXV6
Could not have said it better. I believe thats exactly what I said. If you work for it, it means more and you will likely take better care of it.
My parents bought me the '00 TL which went to my mom when they bought me the TL-S. And I take very good care of it. I pay for my own gas, service....but my parents are currently taking care of insurance. When I had the TL, I got a very expensive speeding ticket (only one, so far) and I didn't cry to my parents, I paid it off....and learned a valuable lesson.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:17 PM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by BLEXV6

not true. i have not paid a dime for *mine* or, the one i drive but i take very good care of it. i make sure to wash and vaccuum it atleast once a week. maybe im not like others you know but thats not the case with me or several other people i know who's parents bought their car
Old 02-13-2002, 05:24 PM
Shogun Assassin

badazz, I can understand where BLEXV6 was going with that...I know of a 16-year-old whose parents got him a Jaguar S-Type! He constantly redlined the F*CK out of it, even when it wasn't broken in!:wow: Needless to say, the car was totally f*cked...and would you believe his parents got him a Jaguar XJR to replace the S-Type! The fact that the punk b@stard has no respect for the cars and is a damn INGRATE makes me very mad.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:26 PM
Instructor

Well boys, we got are selfs a little war between generations here.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:27 PM
Instructor

I hate people who don't care for their car too.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:13 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Dimsumo
Well boys, we got are selfs a little war between generations here.
Man is this a fun fued. How long can it go. :flamer:
Old 02-13-2002, 06:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im too lazy to read all the pages but uh...

im 15, turning 16 soon, and i often drive my dads tl-s...

if ur 17 and getting a 32K car... hmmm... thats like 46k canadian...

what da hell do ur parents do? and hows ur school grades? (if ur above 90% its ok)

u must be hella rich yo!!!

my dads freakin 40 and drives a tl-s and is happy about it...

if u get a tl-s when ur 17...what da hell u gonna drive when ur 30 or 40?... u gonna need more then a Bentley by that age...

just my opinions...

i'll be lucky if i can get my dads car once in a while...
Old 02-13-2002, 07:06 PM
Black is a ***** to Clean

My dad is a cardiologist I'm a sophomore and my grades (this quarter) were 6x A's and 1x C (that teach is a whore) and my GPA is now @ 3.71

BTW, I just came back from my local Acura and Honda dealership. I sat in the TL-S w/ my mom and then we sat in the S2000 and she loved it too. It's really down to what I really think I could use and make due with (I think, parents are divorced and dads payin!)
Old 02-13-2002, 07:23 PM
Instructor

Senior
4.0 GPA
going to college
Old 02-13-2002, 07:25 PM
Instructor

Where the $$$ from> let's say I know the business.
Old 02-13-2002, 07:45 PM
Pro

I haven't read much of this thread but here's my take on things especially graduating from USC (univ. for spoiled children).

There are families that are so freak'n rich that spending 32K for a car is nothing...so why should anyone put down the kids...their take on the world is a helluva lot different than anything we know of.

Yes i think learning the value of the dollar is a valuable lesson but when your family has millions that dollar becomes insignificant pretty quickly.

I think the danger here is it may be too easy to lump every kid with a 30-50k car into a group that may be unfairly judged.

There are kids with the family pressures that have resulted in 4.0 gpa's and who've been working their tails off since grade school. Working your tail off in school versus slinging burgers (Arby's was my job) in HS...you're still working.

Then there are the kids who don't do sh!t and have the cars and I know a few of those as well. I think these kids are turdy as people as they tend to be materialistic and shallow and place too much respect on other people dependent upon their family's wealth.

There are also foreign kids whose parents have to pay $50k for an accord in their home countries so buying a $40k bmw is a relative bargain so why not?

It's all relative...the world isn't fair and if you're a piece of sh!t as a person then having an expensive car is really moot.
Old 02-13-2002, 07:54 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Thumbs up

Well Said jimster! :wow:
Old 02-13-2002, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Define
Moot (adj) - capable of being disproved
I didn't know what it meant.

Yeah I agree with Jimster.
That if you work very hard (school and job) for something (a car), you deserve it. I don't like the spoiled people out there, but I respect the hard working man.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:33 PM
Peach Tea

Thumbs down

damn a lot of people on here are haters WTF???
Old 02-14-2002, 10:57 PM
Shogun Assassin

Originally posted by Dimsumo
That if you work very hard (school and job) for something (a car), you deserve it. I don't like the spoiled people out there, but I respect the hard working man.
give me a break

Originally posted by badazzTL
damn a lot of people on here are haters WTF???
tell me about it....
Old 02-15-2002, 02:55 AM
Banned

I think this thread is getting a bit worn out guys . Basic line is...the only kids we have problems with getting nice cars are the ones that don't appreciate it. That usually means, but not always, kids that didn't pay for any of it, young kids (just got their license), or kids who've never worked before. That doesn't mean there aren't those that don't appreciate it that fit those categories. It just means most are. It sounds like just about all of you don't fit into this category...so I at least have no problem with any of you! There are plenty of 25 year olds I know who's parents bought them a brand new car as a present, more or less, who are worse than some 16 year olds.

Austin519
Old 02-15-2002, 03:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by [TL]Ridah
u know...i think the 20 yr old guy is right...lil kids like us 16-18...19? needs to stop showing off and junk wit our cars and etc...its really not ours...or at least we didn't pay for it...so lets not brag about driving a good car with good system and respect elder TL owners by not acting like u know everything...
Speak for yourself! :o
Old 02-15-2002, 04:37 PM
Banned

My family has alot of nice cars. My brother and I both drive TL's. My youngest brother drives an Infinity I30t. My mom drives a jeep Cherokee. My dad drives a Jag xk8. Plus we have a minivan when the whole family includiong the dog goes up to our house in the mountains. In my opinion seeing is how I have experiance with luxery cars go with Acura (of course the jag is the best but if your parents are rich enough to buy their kid that car props to ya). Love it love it love it! My bros Infinity is tight but it is too much like an old mans car for my taste.
Old 02-15-2002, 06:14 PM
Drifting

I admit I started a lot of the fighting here between the young and old, me being the latter and apolozied for it.

However my experience as a claims adjuster makes me very jaded of the world , not to mention I was not the most mature young driver. However, my parents NEVER bought me a car and I drove theirs until I was 22.(Its hard to drive a Pontiac Parisienne or Ford LTD like a maniac).

Today however, I was handling a new vehicle impact claim to a residence. It seems this 21 year old , crashed his 2001 Accord V6 coupe into the home,the car ended up totally in the basement. Its a miracle no one in the house was killed, either by the impact itself or a possible fire, the latter of which did not occur. The Accord driver, is on life support. Alcohol is believed to be involved. No skidmarks, just straight tire marks through the snow to the house.

Now 21 is not a teenager, but how many 21 year olds can afford the V6 Accord. No way could I even afford a new car until after I was married and had a house. Also, the Accord V6 is a very powerful car. I have one, and its fast.

I just become sad when some 21 yearold wastes their life like this and could have easily killed others.
Old 02-16-2002, 02:58 AM
Banned

BLEXV6:
"I just become sad when some 21 yearold wastes their life like this and could have easily killed others."

Heh, good, luckily I'm only 20.

Austin519
Old 02-16-2002, 01:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

most important thing here...that we can learn is to appreciate what we got..and dont complain with how much lil we got!

case solved
Old 02-17-2002, 11:52 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Austin519
BLEXV6:
"I just become sad when some 21 yearold wastes their life like this and could have easily killed others."

Heh, good, luckily I'm only 20.

Austin519
Hey Austin519, I made a mistake, the driver was actually 20, and was likely 19 when he got his Accord, as it was manufactured in March 2001.

BTW, just read in the paper that the driver died about 12 hours after this accident. What a bloody waste of a life.
Old 02-17-2002, 12:41 PM
All Hail the Chief

To answer the original question, you should be able to fit fine in a TLS, depending on how you drive. I am 6'3, 255 and had plenty of room when I test drove the TLS, BUT, I do like to drive with the seats back to the point where my arms are almost fully extended. If you drive like my dad almost vertical, then you have a problem!

If I were you, I would get a used Lexus GS400. For the price range you specified, you could probably find a '99 or possibly a '00. You'll love the creamy V-8! I am getting a TL because I'm shelling out my own cash for it, and therefore want something newer to make my money go farther. But hell, if someone else is paying, get the GS.

As far as the "too young" thing...yah, I'm a hater. I was a hater in HS. I went to a school with alot of rich kids that pushed Eddie Bauer Explorers and the like, and me and my friends would rag on these "preps" as we called them. But would we take one if our parents got us one...HELL YES!!! Did we ever FU*K with their cars... no, because some of us appreciate pieces of beauty! You'll have to guage the level of "hating" at your school and determine if your car is likely to get messed with. Ask some of the kids that drive nice cars.

All I can say about this whole thing is to APPRECIATE what your parents are doing for you! You are in a group of a select few. Don't be a prick about it! Don't pull up next to the poorer kid pushing a beater and laugh at him, don't abuse your car, don't get a big head! Follow those rules and I say more power to ya' and enjoy your TL!!!!!
Old 02-17-2002, 05:39 PM
Racer

I’m old, and I say who cares!
Old 02-17-2002, 11:27 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Hey Agent,
Get the TL-S. I am a 17 year old from Jersey whose first car is an AGP Type-S. I worked at an Acura dealership for eight months and during that time I found it to be a great car. It dam well will accomodate you cause I am 6 foot around 280 pounds so I'm not exactly slender. If you get it, people will call u spoiled and all that crap but just ignore it. Good thing bout this car, not too many people buy them to hook em up. Around here, I see quite a few hooked up 3 series, maximas, or A4s but rarely do i see a nicely modified TL. There is so much you can do it from the inside out. Get it, you wont regret it. And for those who cant stand spoiled children as my self, I cant blame ya however i did pay for 75% of my ride while paying for insurance so being spoiled is not as crazy as it sounds. If I put in 75 hour weeks during the summer no one is gonna tell me I didnt earn this ride. Oh yea, I also did get the car below invoice which didnt hurt.
Good Luck Bro.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:19 AM
Instructor

If I could go back to the time I got my first car when I was 16 (last two years ago) I would have let my parents buy a used 1998 GS400 or a 1994 Toyota Supra TT automatic for me

Think of what you can get for 32K...

3000GT VR-4 6speed
300ZX TT 5speed
Toyota Supra TT 6speed/auto
Acura TL-S 5speed auto
2k2 Maxima 6speed/auto
BMW 328i 5speed/4-5speed auto
BMW M5 5speed
BMW M3 5speed
BMW 850i 6speed
Audi S4 6speed
Audi TT 6speed
Audi A8
Audi S6 5speed
BMW 740i
BMW 540i
Cadillac STS
Lexus GS400/GS300
Lexus LS400
Lexus SC300/SC400

These are new or used, all can be had for 32K or less. Shop around, like I said, If I could go back, I'd pick a different car. But I'm not dissing my car, I just feel that I could of had a better car for the price.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:03 AM
The New 3 Series Coupe

Damn~~~ this thread is still here???:wow:
Old 02-18-2002, 02:15 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Inspire
Damn~~~ this thread is still here???:wow:
No sh!t and amen... :p
Old 02-18-2002, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Get the car! Don't worry about what goes on at school. I caught a lot of sh!t when I turned 16 because my dad gave me his Mercedes SL500. If you think a Acura will cause people to talk try the benz in a rural small town. I caught a lot of crap my whole life because my parents had money and I was the rich kid in school. I just ignored them. Had to get rid of the convertible though because I need more room in the car for crap now that I am in law school. The TL is a great car.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

i got my tl a few months after i turned 16 (i'm 18 now- i have an 00) and i LOVE it. it's such a smooth, reliable (the only problem i've had with it is that the light behind the clock went out, but they fixed that when i brought it in for an oil change) car and it's powerful enough for me (it has no mods right now but once i get some more money, i'd like to add some). my boyfriend's 6'3 and he fits in my car comfortably, so i think it should be roomy enough for you. i also looked at the bmw 3-series and the nissan maxima but the bmw didn't give you enough value for your money, and the maxima wasn't as smooth as the tl. it is somewhat conservative looking without mods, but if you clear out the lights, put on some nice rims, and maybe add a ground kit, you've got a really sweet car.

edited to add- the ONLY downside i experienced to having such a nice car in high school was the idiots in the parking lot. i was always careful to try to park next to nice cars, or better yet, next to no cars at all. however, one day, i came out of the school and found this HUGE black streak down the front of my car and a big dent in the hood ($900 CDN). weird thing is, i pulled into the stall- i didn't back into it- and there were those cement block things at the head of each stall, leaving about 3 feet between my car and the car in front of it. so, it seems like it was done intentionally by somebody with a truck but as far as i know, i didn't have any enemies with a truck. there were no cars around, and to this day i still don't know what happened. i have a few door dings from careless jerks, too. having to watch where i park, though, is worth it cos i love my car.
Old 02-21-2002, 10:46 PM

I know this thread is pretty much DONE, but in case you peeps wanted to know what I pretty much decided on, here it is:

2003 3.2 TL Type S

Exterior: Satin Silver Metallic
Interior: Ebony Leather

Interior Accessories Installed*
All-Season Floor Mats $56.70

Exterior Accessories Installed*
Wheel Locks $64.40
Rear Wing Spoiler $676.00
Front Under Body Spoiler $476.00
Rear Under Body Spoiler $527.00
Side Under Body Spoiler $397.00

MSRP $31,330.00
Destination Charge $480.00
Total Accessories (Estimated) $2,197.10
Total Vehicle Price $34,007.10

How low do you think I could haggle down this price (the body kit stuff REALLY adds to it) Any people think this is a bad choice? Let me know
Old 02-21-2002, 11:12 PM
Instructor

I would go without the body kit. I know that in my school we had really big speed bumps that would have taken the body kit right off the car.
Old 02-22-2002, 03:16 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by AgentDSS
I know this thread is pretty much DONE, but in case you peeps wanted to know what I pretty much decided on, here it is:

2003 3.2 TL Type S

Exterior: Satin Silver Metallic
Interior: Ebony Leather

Interior Accessories Installed*
All-Season Floor Mats $56.70

Exterior Accessories Installed*
Wheel Locks $64.40
Rear Wing Spoiler $676.00
Front Under Body Spoiler $476.00
Rear Under Body Spoiler $527.00
Side Under Body Spoiler $397.00

MSRP $31,330.00
Destination Charge $480.00
Total Accessories (Estimated) $2,197.10
Total Vehicle Price $34,007.10

How low do you think I could haggle down this price (the body kit stuff REALLY adds to it) Any people think this is a bad choice? Let me know
At least have them GIVE you the wheel locks, rear wing spoiler and all-season floor mats for FREE. I got my '02 TL-S last July with the OEM kit and haggle them to give me rear wing spoiler and moonroof visor FREE. I didn't realized they gave me the wheel locks FREE until I picked up the car.
Old 02-22-2002, 03:26 PM

A friend of mine has a cousin who works at the Acura dealer near me, which could really help me a lot. He thinks I could get at least 2k knocked off that 34k and get stuff free. He also told me that if I say I would leave w/ the car TODAY if I had the right price, that also helps.
Old 02-22-2002, 03:32 PM

BTW, I really know how you guys feel about kids gettin free cars and know they won't fully apreciate it (even though I'm getting one free). There is this girl in my grade (sophomore) who JUST turned 16. When she got her permit, she was handed a new Camry (and complained) and today she said "well, I'm getting a mercedes in 2 months when i get my license" and the WAY she said it pissed me off a LOT! She made it seem like she is OWED the benz. Not that I can complain a lot coming a Bentley/Rolls family, but some people really don't deserve it. But I'm almost 17 and still driving the family minivan. I at least apreciate what I can get and try hard to get what I want, do research and make it worth my parent's while. That beyotch! (got a nice rack though!)