TL for a Teenager?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BLEXV6
I remember being 17, and as a male you cannot help but drive like an idiot, its just in you. The only way to avoid this problem is maturity, and buying you're own car when you can afford it and driving you're parents car when its availiable.
What thats the biggest generalization I've heard in a while. I've had my car for more than half a year and I just turned 17. No tickets no accidents yet (knocks on fake bowling ball trim). You might have been irresponsible when you were 17 but that doesn't mean that everybody else is.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

There's more to it that being a safe driver at age 17. There's
going to parties where other young drunk people hang out.
Theres just more nights out than otherwise would be. The
fact that you just hang around and are exposed to more young
people is a threat since most car prowls are done by younger
people. I don't know... but I doubt you'll get a garage at home.

So not even looking at my driving behavior my car is 500x safer
now than it was when I was 18 or so. Garage at home, Garage
at work, and 90% of the time Garage at the bars.

My car has been hit once at a party and vandalized twice. My
friend (not so lucky) hit twice at a party and had a drunk guy fall
on it once.

Anyhow, just more to think about than your own driving skills.
Your enviroment has as whole is just not as car friendly as
somone who is 30 or so.
Old 02-11-2002, 02:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Closer
There's more to it that being a safe driver at age 17. There's
going to parties where other young drunk people hang out.
Theres just more nights out than otherwise would be. The
fact that you just hang around and are exposed to more young
people is a threat since most car prowls are done by younger
people. I don't know... but I doubt you'll get a garage at home.

So not even looking at my driving behavior my car is 500x safer
now than it was when I was 18 or so. Garage at home, Garage
at work, and 90% of the time Garage at the bars.

My car has been hit once at a party and vandalized twice. My
friend (not so lucky) hit twice at a party and had a drunk guy fall
on it once.

Anyhow, just more to think about than your own driving skills.
Your enviroment has as whole is just not as car friendly as
somone who is 30 or so.
Why wouldn't I have a garage at home? Anyways my car is parked in a garage at home and the spaces at school are pretty big. Vanalism isn't a big issue at school and a lot of people have cars that are nicer than a TL. And if I'm going to a party where I'll drink I don't drive at all.
Old 02-11-2002, 02:34 PM
Black is a ***** to Clean

good thinking!
Old 02-11-2002, 02:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ehehhehhe go bio!
Old 02-11-2002, 03:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by bioyuki

Why wouldn't I have a garage at home? Anyways my car is parked in a garage at home and the spaces at school are pretty big. Vanalism isn't a big issue at school and a lot of people have cars that are nicer than a TL. And if I'm going to a party where I'll drink I don't drive at all.
1) This isn't your thread. I wasn't talking to you. Stop taking things so personal.
2) Average home has a 2 car garage. Figuring Mom uses one
Dad uses other.
3) If you want responses based around your life and your
circumstances then don't talk to people on the internet who
live miles from you and know nothing about you. The best
you can expect is generalizations from our experiences.
4) I like you, no one is attacking you... so relax a bit and .
Old 02-11-2002, 03:41 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My house doesn't have a 2 door garage....it can fit 2 cars if all the crap wasn't there. Even so, it would be annoying to pull in and out and always be mindful of hitting the side-view mirrors off or scraping against the other car. I'm sure this is the same case with at least a few other ppl on this board.
Old 02-11-2002, 04:26 PM
Drifting

I certainly wasn't a wild driver when I was 17. I drove various cars, from a Civic to a Galant to a Chevy truck, with various power and torque outputs. Although most 17 year olds will pretty much smash up their cars (I've had two fender benders in my youth, both my fault), it's not right to generalize.

That being said, I wouldn't buy my 17-year-old anything worth more than $5000 for his first ride.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:10 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by daverman
I certainly wasn't a wild driver when I was 17. I drove various cars, from a Civic to a Galant to a Chevy truck, with various power and torque outputs. Although most 17 year olds will pretty much smash up their cars (I've had two fender benders in my youth, both my fault), it's not right to generalize.

That being said, I wouldn't buy my 17-year-old anything worth more than $5000 for his first ride.
I knew I would have all the young ones here all over me. However the facts are that a young person with a high powered and expensive car is just too much responsibility, for someone who is about 16 years of age. Just ask any Insurance Company., No they do not discriminate against you just because you are young, rather its because statistically men this age DO NOT USE COMMON SENSE as they are trying to impress a young girl or his buddys.

As for those younger ones here who bought their own cars, I would say you are likely more mature than those who had mommy or daddy buy it for them. Its simply a case of working for what you have as opposed to whats given to you.

That being said, I apologise to all those younger ones that I have offended. But my sons can buy their own vehicles, and I would be willing to help them out, but I am not buying it for them.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

The main reason my parents wanted to get me a expensive car is for the saftey features. They liked the TL because it is bigger than the 3 series and IS. I bearely take the car over 3k RPM and like someone said jus because you were irresponible at our age doesnt mean we are.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:27 PM
Banned

y r u all u guys hatin so much. im 17, i pay the lease on my TL from workin my ass off caddyin every summer (great $!). and im a safe ass driver. im alot better driver than my mom! ****. but u r right ab parties and school parking lots bc at parties every1 is driving stoned or drunk and cud hit ur car. but i cant drive past 9 bc i was too lazy to take drivers ed. i drive past 9 maybe 2 a month. and ive never driven drunk, maybe on like 3 beers, but i weigh like 200 pounds, so it aint no thang. i think older ppl, in their 30s, drive drunk a lot more than teens, or at least with much higher BALs. i do think that driving in the school lot sucks, and yes, there r alotta keyings at my school. and accidents from stupid girl drivers. MANY accidents in the parking lot. but most the time i just take my moms Jeep and let her have my TL during school. i dont abuse my car, and i think that the fact that im paying for it gives me alot more respect for MY car. and i never abuse it. sure i race, and drive fast on major roads, but i dont do stupid ass stunts and im never in close calls. i think im alot better driver than all those ladies, and old ppl out there.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:33 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by ferrari527
The main reason my parents wanted to get me a expensive car is for the saftey features. They liked the TL because it is bigger than the 3 series and IS. I bearely take the car over 3k RPM and like someone said jus because you were irresponible at our age doesnt mean we are.
This is very true, and again I apologise. I apologise, I apologise."from a Fish Called Wanda".
Old 02-11-2002, 07:39 PM
Banned

yea, u cud talk **** ab us "kids" all u want. i may be only 17, in ur mind.
but at least i know how to spell apologiZe
Old 02-11-2002, 07:41 PM
Banned

but i didnt expect any more from you. ur from canada... i understand
Old 02-11-2002, 07:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Whoa....I hope Jay is joking around here and not serious. For a 17 year old who is trying to get his daddy to help him pay off his lease, he's talking mighty big, isn't he???

Show a little respect to our awesome Canadian neighbors, and to someone who's a little older than you. He's allowed to express his opinions just like you are, right?
Old 02-11-2002, 08:05 PM
Banned

i am just playin. i have nothing against candians, two of my boys r from canada. im just saying, he was talkin a good amount of ****. and if my dad doesnt want to pay for the TL than thats his decision. but i do deserve a little respect for workign mad hard to pay the lease deals. and the TL isnt just mine, but i usually let my mom drive it to work bc my school lot sucks. and u guys shudnt hold these stereotypes on kids bc every1 on this board was once my age. alrite, lets squash it. the thread is getting out of hand, granted it is sum1 my thought. im sorry.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Glad you clarified. Perhaps I read too much into it.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs down Damn I actually thought I wouldn't get into this thread

I agree with BLEXV6 and Daverman....about most young kids and expensive cars that parents buy them. Before a car like that can be bought, responsibility has to be taught.

On another note, I bought my TL-S and I'm 18. I've been working as a waiter for a long time and when summer started I got a job at a brokerage firm. I hold two jobs and I am making payments.

My friend had (note the word "had") a MB S430. He ended up in a car accident doing 120mph on Belt Parkway (if anyone knows Brooklyn). One of my other friends (another dumbass, who wanted to show off with his '99 Galant V6 lol) got into a parking accident. Now he is paying $2000 for insurance instead half of that price.

Jaydef you gotta take it easy a bit. Don't point out who can spell and who can't, you aren't that good yourself.

I appreciate my car, since going from a green '92 Mercury Sable to TL-S

BTW I plan on making payments for the TL-S until retirement
Old 02-11-2002, 08:36 PM
Banned

yea, sorry ab that, i was just pissed off. i dont like it when ppl throw me in a category b4 they really know me. i agree that a larger percentage of kids may be under that category than older ppl. but that doesnt mean that every1 is like that. there MAY b sum kids on this board that r crazy drivers. but it shudnt b directed to all of us. and i think every1 on this board shud b treated the same bc we r all TL owners and members of this amazing site. and this thread really made me feel unwelcome here and gave a very thick line between the older and younger ppl on this board. and im sorry if i went into a tangent before. but even if u think the way u do about teenagers i really think that it shudnt b said on this board bc it makes them feel very unwelcome here and whether sum1 is 15 or 40, they both have the same right to be on this board. every1 shud b accepted. if u have sumthing against sum1 specifically or have something to say that makes a large group of ppl uneasy, than u shudnt say it openly on a thread. email or pm sum1....... just my opinion...
Old 02-11-2002, 09:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Closer
My advice.

Have your parents put $25g in the bank for ya.
Take $5g and buy a car like an accord or maxima.
After you smash that sucker a few times (cause
you probably will) then calmed down as a driver
take that $25g you saved and buy a nice car.

Advice from experience. Besides at your age, you'll
have people f*ck with your car just because its
so nice for your age. Not worth it.

And having that money to buy a brand new car
in college is worth so much more.

Actually -- I like this idea.. if my parents had bought my car... i would have rather done that... bought a decent car and put the rest of the money in a CD or something high yielding
Old 02-11-2002, 10:53 PM
Instructor

You know the title of this post "TL for a Teenager" is asking for trouble. Here in this public TL forum there are many different people. The members here are very diverse, varying from age, race, and general characteristics. We all have are opinions, and it is are right to express them freely. Sometimes are feelings are hurt and we are angry. But, all is well. Here is the forum the “community” I say brother’s love. We are all “TL Bros”, so it’s cool.

We all fight, argue, and laugh, “but in the end it doesn’t even matter.”

No hate
Peace
Old 02-11-2002, 11:21 PM

I hope I did not do much wrong by creating this thread. All I wanted to know if I would be making a bad choice choosing this car. That's all.
Old 02-12-2002, 03:20 AM
Banned

Damn you lucky teenager bastards I'm still paying mine off...my parents would have lodged a boot up my arse had I suggested getting me one.

AgentDSS:
Get this car. It's a sports car + a comfortable luxury car. I have a pretty darn stocky build...I'm a shotputter and football player (or was a football player)...I'm 6'1" 240 lbs...I believe I have a 56 shoulder...so well I am very comfortable in that car. I tried out like 20 different cars...everything from Audi to BMW to Mercedes....etc etc etc...and aside from a 96 Explorer (my old car) I have never been more comfortable in this one...

Austin519
Old 02-12-2002, 10:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
I am feeling hate about teenagers gettin new TL's
Old 02-12-2002, 11:11 AM
Instructor

If I were in your shoes I would cut a deal with my parents to buy me 2 cars over the next year or two. The first car would be some what of a beater that you could ding around and learn a thing or two about driving. Your next car would be the "nice" car that you could cherish and keep.

My experience is that new drivers (no offence) learn from the school of hard knocks in the first year.

maybe for your first car get a 4WD toyota truck that is 6-8 years old with big bumpers.

all my opinion take it or not!
Old 02-12-2002, 12:10 PM
Instructor

experiance is everything. I learn how to drive in a old dodge caravan. Now, I'm pretty good.
Old 02-12-2002, 02:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Well I got my permit at 15 my paretns gave me there 1992 chevy astro....drove that around wit them, and got my licence and then drove it everywhere once in a while they would let me borrow there car. When I turned seventeen last year I got a new TL. I so miss that van.
Old 02-12-2002, 04:12 PM
Banned

ive been driving for over 2 years and i have never gotten into an accident. no dings or nething. just a couple thin scratches (that i got out) from everyday use. i think that a kid wud b even more spoiled to get two cars. and its like, "o, heres a car, we expect u to total it within the year, so dont worry". if this was so true, than parents wudnt let their kids drive at all in the first place bc they wud be afraid their kid wud get injured in a car accident.
Old 02-12-2002, 04:17 PM
Racer

hey

some people just are in better situations then others. When I turned 16 and got my permit my parents bought me a 98 Lexus GS 300. I didn't drive like an ******* so kids who do give kids like me a bad rep. as far as that goes, and now that I'm 18 and in college they just bought me an 02 TLS that has even more power than the GS so all you people that are quick to jump the gun all talk **** should keep to themselves. I think either TL or TLS is a sporty car with room and has kid styling. I would say go for it more power to you.
Old 02-12-2002, 04:34 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Jaydef
y r u all u guys hatin so much. im 17, i pay the lease on my TL from workin my ass off caddyin every summer (great $!). and im a safe ass driver. im alot better driver than my mom! ****. but u r right ab parties and school parking lots bc at parties every1 is driving stoned or drunk and cud hit ur car. but i cant drive past 9 bc i was too lazy to take drivers ed. i drive past 9 maybe 2 a month. and ive never driven drunk, maybe on like 3 beers, but i weigh like 200 pounds, so it aint no thang. i think older ppl, in their 30s, drive drunk a lot more than teens, or at least with much higher BALs. i do think that driving in the school lot sucks, and yes, there r alotta keyings at my school. and accidents from stupid girl drivers. MANY accidents in the parking lot. but most the time i just take my moms Jeep and let her have my TL during school. i dont abuse my car, and i think that the fact that im paying for it gives me alot more respect for MY car. and i never abuse it. sure i race, and drive fast on major roads, but i dont do stupid ass stunts and im never in close calls. i think im alot better driver than all those ladies, and old ppl out there.
Okay Jaydef, I tried to redeem my old ass by saying that those of you @17 who buy you're own vehicles likely are more responsible than those who are given their vehicles by mommy and daddy. That said, clearly Jaydef, you do not fit in this category, so I do not mean you.
Old 02-12-2002, 04:43 PM
Drifting

yea, u cud talk **** ab us "kids" all u want. i may be only 17, in ur mind.
but at least i know how to spell apologiZe
Okay Jaydef, I try to apologiZe and you cannot stop yourself from giving me a hard time about my spelling. Then later on criticize me for being a Canadian. I am proud to be Canadian as should you be proud to be an American. Now I again say I am sorry for for my comments to all you good 17 yearolds that would do no wrong in their cars. Man you guys must live a boring life @. 17. I guess with a backhanded apology like that I deserve what I get, and lets keep the games a going.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:14 PM
Banned

alrite, i now accept ur apology. and its squashed. u fit me into a stereotypical teenager, and i jokingly fit u into a stereotypical canadian..... now we r even. im not saying canadians r stupid, i just used that as an example to fit u into a category.

i dont think that this topic shud b about reckless teenager drivers in general. i think it shud b ab reckless teenage drives that got their car from their parents. bc then they shud at least be careful and more respectful of something they received as a gift as a little sign of respect towards their parents. i think i wud feel like the worst, laziest son in the world if my father bought me a benz, and then i had to come home a month later and explain to him that i totalled a car that HE spent his hard earned money for.

if a kid receives a 30k car from his parents and then crashes it bc hes unexperienced, than i think its his parents fault for getting him the car. unless the parent has no problem paying for the damage, and the kid does not morally feel guilty of what he did, than everything is all good. but hey, u wud have to be pretty ****ing spoiled and rich to fit into that example. i know how these things cud make u ppl (who bought ur TLs) very disgusted and, ina way, jealous, bc u worked hard for ur car.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:36 PM
Advanced

Lightbulb

sup...i got my TL for my 16th...i'll be 17 in a month or so...
i was debatin on whether i should get is300, BMW 330ci, integra type R, and like rx7 and junk...like some pepople said...i didn't even thinkg about TL....i gave it a shot and stopped by to test drive... i fell in love wit the tiptronic system which i've never seen before...hehe...so i just bought it then... i never regret it...one thing tho...only if i knew that tye TL-S was gon come out exactly one month after i got mine...i would've waited... but i still liek it...its nice...lil too weak... but i say its better than bmw...and is300...price wise...quality wise...acura comes everything standard...bimmer, lexus doesn't... go wit TL...type S
Old 02-12-2002, 07:44 PM
9th Gear

2002 TL Type S

I am 17 years old and I got my TL-S this Christmas. I love it and it is a great car. I had a 2000 Lexus GS300 Platinum Series. I loved it too and it rode much more smoother than my TL. It has 18,000 miles on it and I am selling it for $35,500. It has the COACH leather and other extra Platinum Series options. If you are interested in it, you can reply back here. Thanks! I am near Atlanta, GA.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:54 PM
Instructor

ive been driving for over 2 years and i have never gotten into an accident. no dings or nething. just a couple thin scratches (that i got out) from everyday use. i think that a kid wud b even more spoiled to get two cars. and its like, "o, heres a car, we expect u to total it within the year, so dont worry". if this was so true, than parents wudnt let their kids drive at all in the first place bc they wud be afraid their kid wud get injured in a car accident.
Good point of view that I had not thought of.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:43 PM

Just so you guys don't go on about how I could easily total a new car, here this. I've been driving w/ permit and a license for over a year now...I drive more time than other people I know. When doing the 40hr. driving experience requirement in 4 months for my license, I did roughly 100 hrs. I do a majority of my house's errands (to get on my folk's good side). I once drove 6 hrs. in a row of highway driving w/ one stop, first leaving at 2am. I've driven cars for about 2 and half years (my parents wanted me to learn early) and in ALL this time, not one single accident, bump, knick or any major close call. Got a clean record (for driving licensed for a year), no tix. I don't think getting a TL will dramatically change my habits.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:45 PM
Peach Tea

Thumbs up

Originally posted by AgentDSS
Just so you guys don't go on about how I could easily total a new car, here this. I've been driving w/ permit and a license for over a year now...I drive more time than other people I know. When doing the 40hr. driving experience requirement in 4 months for my license, I did roughly 100 hrs. I do a majority of my house's errands (to get on my folk's good side). I once drove 6 hrs. in a row of highway driving w/ one stop, first leaving at 2am. I've driven cars for about 2 and half years (my parents wanted me to learn early) and in ALL this time, not one single accident, bump, knick or any major close call. Got a clean record (for driving licensed for a year), no tix. I don't think getting a TL will dramatically change my habits.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:56 AM
Banned

Jaydef:
Chill out man. Seriously. I know I, and I belive others...who were talking about annoying teenagers getting new cars are referring to those 16-18 whose parents just buy them cars for their 16th, 17th, and 18th birthdays for no reason. I'm 20...my parents helped me with my first car...a used 96 explorer...they gave me $5000. I paid the other $12k. I traded that in to help pay for my new TLS, and am still paying it off. I get very pissed off seeing kids...yeah, kids...driving around in their brand new shiny cars...not because it's not a car I can't have...or because they're a teenager and got it for free...but because I don't think they really honestly appreciate it...I don't think anyone does unless you actually pay for the car yourself...make your car payments or save up for years to buy it...work those 70 hour weeks to get the money up. And if that was not enough...they call it their car, and try to act all cool with what they have. I find it funny because it's not really theirs...it's just a show of their parents wealth and/or spoiling them. Reminds me a lot of some of the people I've installed stereos for. I spend the labor, work, and creativity installing the stereo...and they're proud of it like it is their work of art...and they go brag about how it looks and how smooth it is. But it really isn't theirs, they didn't build it. Just like those teenagers didn't make their own money. If you paid for your car, then you don't fit in the same category...

Oh, by the way, I just turned 20 in December...so I was a teenager less than 9 weeks ago...

Austin519
Old 02-13-2002, 04:35 AM
Burning Brakes

hey kids. im one of you teenagers and the bottom inescapable principal is this: humans are not rational creatures. happiness is a function of appreciation and with a TL not being that far behind the top luxo models of all cars in the world, how would a young person have room to move up? as a teen, if you already get a TL compared to a 30 yr old who has gone through beater cars and moved up slowly, the 30 yr old will be more appreciative and in turn happier in the end. guys, the truth is that no one knows everything and we do not especially in our TEEN yrs. realize brash confidence when you see or hear it. you can shoot ahead and get the TL first, but you're only cheating yourself out of life's experience. nevermind, im sure the other kids are flustered as it is...
Old 02-13-2002, 07:00 AM
Racer

Originally posted by AgentDSS
That's the kiss of death. Better be careful when you get that TL (oh yeah, go for the TL already and forget about what all the other ENVIOUS think - me, I'm only JEALOUS).