TL-S on the way.....problems with Integra

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 04:39 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy TL-S on the way.....problems with Integra

I have to say, I have enjoyed reading all of the different post to this forum over the past few months. There is a lot of good information passed between everyone on this site. I can now say that I have taken the plunge and ordered me a 2003 APB TL-s w/navi. The dealer told me that it would be approx. 30-60 days until the car arrives but I hope that the west coast port lockout doesn’t slow the process down. I have heard as little as 5% of the parts come from Japan to as much as 25%-45%, so I guess I'll just wait and see.

So, while I wait for my new car to arrive, I am in the process of selling my 1994 Integra GS-R. This has been one of the best cars I have ever owned and I hate to part with it but, I'm looking to get something bigger and with more power. Having such luck with the Integra, I chose the TL-s hands down over some of the other cars I was looking at.

Now that the Integra is for sale and the deposit has been made on the TL-s, wouldn’t you know that the luck with the Integra has run out. The other night, I was driving along and the car just stopped! No sputter, cough or hesitation.

So now you can imagine my frustration; I want to sell the car and get the max profit but now I don’t want to put a lot of money into to get it fixed. I have done some preliminary trouble shooting and have eliminated the timing belt, ignition coil, fuel pump as well as the distributor.

Do you guys have any advice?? I have decided that my next move is to tow it to Honda and get it diagnosed. I'd appreciate any tips on what the problem may be.

Thanks,
DMD
Old 10-11-2002, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Can you give us a little more information?

Any lights come on on the dash?
Could you restart it?
Did it turn over or did you get nothing when you tried to start it?
What did you check so far?
Old 10-11-2002, 10:14 PM
8th Gear

All of the lights come on in the dash; it turns over but it wont fire off. I checked the timing belt, its ok; I checked the ignition coil, its ok; I checked the fuel pump and filter, good psi; I’ve checked all the fuses that I can find. Also, when it initially died, it would not restart; it has not run since it first died.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
My wife has a 93 Integra and I just had to have the coil replaced in her distributor. I was told that Acura distributors are known for dying prematurely.

Pop off one of the plug wires, attach a plug to it and see if you get any spark. If you do, eliminate the distributor.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:13 PM
8th Gear

Ok, that fixed the problem. I replaced the ignition coil and it fired right up. I had tested the coil and prematurly eliminated it as being the problem. Now all I need to do is sell it!
Thanks
Old 10-14-2002, 03:23 PM
Burning Brakes

You may be waiting longer for that TL than you thought, I read somewhere that Ohio was shutting down due to the port walkout. I think part of that %5 parts was the tranny, if so that's going to really dappen the issue of the tranny replacments along with trying to get new cars to dealers.

[added]
Well, according to the AP Marysville is still down waiting for parts to be delivered via air freight. The good news is that they didn't expect a shortage at the dealerships because they can burn through the slack that is at the factory, but if your car hasn't been built yet then that won't be good. If that's the case then you'r probably out 5 days (Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Today) plus every day after today until they resume.