TL-S vs. TSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 11:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL-S vs. TSX

Ok guys ... help talk me through some pros and cons here. I have a 6MT TSX on order, but the TL-S lease deal is looking VERY nice.

TSX Pros
Handling
Price
Gas mileage slightly better
6MT
New style/car

TLS Pros
Torque monster (I had a CL-S)
More luxurious maybe?
Great lease deal since new TL-S coming
More space all around

What do yo guys think? Seems like it might be a classic trade-off of handling versus power.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:39 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you dying to drive a stick? If so then stick with the TSX. If not then TL-S all the way!

Or if you can wait, then the new TL/TL-S should be coming out soon.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:59 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it will all come down to this...

PRICE!!!

The TSX will have to be around $28K OTD to be a worthwhile buy over the TL or even the AV6..
Old 02-27-2003, 06:49 AM
Drifting

All depends on your size requirements and whether you want a zip zip car or a highway cruiser.

Without a doubt a smaller wheelbase always handles better but the TLS may be smoother on the highway and will grow with you if you have family plans.

In essence, they are two different categories of cars (like a 3 series/A4 vs a 5 series/A6)
Old 02-27-2003, 08:26 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It really depends on what you want. At least with a six speed you won't have to worry about tranny issues but then again with a new car there might be some other issues.

If you are thinking of modding then the TLS has some good stuff out there right now, although I am sure that the TSX will quickly follow and eventually surpass the TLS when it comes to modding.

I love my TLS and would choose it again over most cars out there in its price range but the real question is what do you want? You can almays make the TLS handle better and I am sure that you can eventually make the TSX more powerful. Can you change the TLS to a six speed? No (unless you wanna drop some serious cash...for that matter you are better off getting the CLS6). Can you make the TSX bigger? No. So you have to think about what you really want in a car and then decide based on that.

Good Luck!
Old 02-27-2003, 11:46 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
The TSX is target for the younger generations who want speed over anything else, but with the lesser money they make. As they grow older, more mature, and make more money, they put comfort before speed, and they will move on to the TL/TL-S. Just like many people who move up from driving Integra's to TL's when they age.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by Edward'TLS
The TSX is target for the younger generations who want speed over anything else, but with the lesser money they make. As they grow older, more mature, and make more money, they put comfort before speed, and they will move on to the TL/TL-S. Just like many people who move up from driving Integra's to TL's when they age.
Agreed.

You're really comparing two totally different cars here... so in the end it will come down to what you really want in a car....
Old 02-27-2003, 12:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Yeah - I agree that the only reason I am cross shopping this is cause I am a major Honda/Acura fan and the TLS has a GREAT lease options. I think I want a more agile car with the 6MT, so that is why I am with the TSX right now, but since I had a CLS then I know I woudn't have the interior plushness of the TLS

Now ... about the comments above.

Speed? Lemme restate that to be handling ... the TSX is not going to be faster than the TLS at all.

Less money? I find this a common themes on the forums ... just cause someone makes more money they must spend more on a car? ouch. Let me assure you that some folks (like me) could afford more car ... but choose not to.

Now - I will go with you on the comfort aspects and perhaps I will be there one day, but right now I don't have any issue with a tighter and somewhat harsher ride to get agility in a car.

Thanks for the feedback fellas ... I think I will stay the course with the TSX. I am just psyched to see Acura kicking butt and taking name again ... the new TL is gonna be absolutely awesome - I can feel it But don't bring your 30K to the table for the new TL is what I hear ... my need a few more $$$ (think G35 pricing or slightly less is my take).
Old 02-27-2003, 12:55 PM
Drifting

You won't regret either choice!

And despite the fact that I have one baby and another on the way, the thought of trading in my TLS for my TSX did cross my mind

Must be the "new factor".

In any case, like I said, you will have a killer car at a killer price (and yes, I could have paid cash for any car I wanted but chose the TLS for value)
Old 02-27-2003, 04:35 PM
Advanced

The TSX and TL-S are really for two different segments. I am 37, and like the “plush-ness” of the TL-S, but would not have liked it when I was in my 20’s, when I had a VW GTI and an Integra GS-R.

I am sure the TSX is going to be a fantastic car, just a little low on power and a little high on price. It will probably be a little more nimble than the TL-S because it is smaller, and the interior looks better than the TL-S. If you get a TSX with the 6MT I am sure that it will be quick, but the 5AT will be a little slow with only 166lb’ of torque. I do like the turn-signals and door handles better on the TSX.

I had a deposit on a TSX (White/Parchment, 5AT/Navi) until Monday. After reading that the estimated cost was going to be over $28K, the TL-S was a no brainer.

I ended up leasing an Anthracite TL-S, non-navi for $0 down, $380 per month (including sales tax), 39 months, 12K year. I could have purchased for $29,660 if I wanted. At the price I paid, there is absolutely no way I could get a TSX or even an Accord EX-V6 for that matter. Dealers will be selling TSX’s for list for a while, and there are not going to be any lease bargains for a while.

Just my .02
Old 02-27-2003, 07:48 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Is it just me or is the TSX dash board plain and boring, compared to the excellent good looks of the TL dash.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by BLEXV6
Is it just me or is the TSX dash board plain and boring, compared to the excellent good looks of the TL dash.
It's just you - haha Have you seen the guages ... they are :wow:
Old 02-27-2003, 09:28 PM
Instructor

I agree with BLEXV6. When I first saw the interior pics of the TSX, I was like whoa, they used the new Accord interior but just spiced things up a bit. The TSX interior looks like a luxury car interior than a sporty car interior. I guess it works out okay since Acura is a luxury brand. But the dashboard design doesn't look sporty one bit. Other than the gauges, it looks very boring for a sports sedan. I wished they made the center dash slant towards the driver like the TL.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:56 PM
Instructor

man....
if i no the TSX is coming out, i wouldn't brought my TL..... too late now....
Old 02-28-2003, 01:28 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally posted by Alien
man....
if i no the TSX is coming out, i wouldn't brought my TL..... too late now....
Don't worry, you'll probably feel the same way when the 2004 TL-S is due out after you bought the TSX.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:54 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
What's all this with "older" or "old" people moving up to luxury cars from rockets?
Hell, I'm only 31 for god sake! I was gonna buy an MDX that I ordered until when it came in, they tacked a ton of $$$ on it to bring it over $41k when it wasn't worth that!
I've got the money, but the TL had everything I could want: hauls a$$ (especially with the mods); handles to the point that I don't want to wrench through a corner and ruin my 18" tires, I can haul 4 people with total comfort and all their crap at the same time.
When you get all of this for less than $30k, it's an obvious choice. And if you were like my friends who wanted to be able to "hear" their engine a bit better (e.g.- RSX), now that I shelled $250 for an intake, they are all freakin' jealous!!!
Old 03-01-2003, 02:57 PM
Advanced

I just want to know how you plan to drive, I used to work on the canadian border and live right near Albany NY(about a 300 mile drive), so when I got out of 12hr. work day on a friday I was flying down all kinds of country roads every week. I used to take turns at 70-80 mph when the yellow sign said 30, I guess what I am saying is personally I wouldnt need anything more nimble than my type s, never once has it slipped on me and I dont drive her nice. But the TSX is a nice car, the inside looks tits, and someone has to drive them, but the only way I would drive one over a TLS is if I didnt have the $, or there wan no TLS.

And as for the age issue, ya younger wants faster, but usually cant afford it. The TSX probably is aimed at younger people, but given the choice most would probably take a TLS, I know every 19-20 y.o I know would, keep in mind the price is going up on the TLS in '04. All in all both sweet cars though.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd prolly wait a year before buying the TSX.. hopefully all the bugs would be worked out by the next model year...
Old 03-02-2003, 05:45 AM
...and then there was One

Re: TL-S vs. TSX

Originally posted by provench
Ok guys ... help talk me through some pros and cons here. I have a 6MT TSX on order, but the TL-S lease deal is looking VERY nice.

TSX Pros
Handling
Price
Gas mileage slightly better
6MT
New style/car

TLS Pros
Torque monster (I had a CL-S)
More luxurious maybe?
Great lease deal since new TL-S coming
More space all around

What do yo guys think? Seems like it might be a classic trade-off of handling versus power.
How about you answer your own question. You know what both have to offer, so you decide. What matters more to YOU??
Old 03-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Instructor

The TSX is target for the younger generations who want speed over anything else, but with the lesser money they make. As they grow older, more mature, and make more money, they put comfort before speed, and they will move on to the TL/TL-S.
Speak for yourself. I happen to be 45 but am excited at the prospect of finally finding a Honda based sport sedan in the BMW 3 Series class. I really like Tina (the name my wife gave our TL based on the GPS voice), but long for something smaller. Our other Hondas are an S2000 and a Magna V-4 bike.

rw
Old 03-02-2003, 08:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: TL-S vs. TSX

Originally posted by SimTypeS

How about you answer your own question. You know what both have to offer, so you decide. What matters more to YOU??
You are right ... and I think handling wins. Now if the TSX pulls the C&D estimate of 6.6s to 60 with the 6MT that I am getting then that is what we like to call a BIG bonus
Old 03-03-2003, 03:28 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally posted by sparky57

Speak for yourself. I happen to be 45 but am excited at the prospect of finally finding a Honda based sport sedan in the BMW 3 Series class. I really like Tina (the name my wife gave our TL based on the GPS voice), but long for something smaller. Our other Hondas are an S2000 and a Magna V-4 bike.

rw
Not just for myself but for maybe 80-90% of the car buying population as well. But there's always those last 10-20% exceptions like you. I even know someone who's 60+ and drives a Porsche 911. But he never drives fast and dare not to drive fast.

When I was in school and the first few years working, I drove fast ALL THE TIMES. My Integra was highly modified (springs, shocks, sway bars, wheels, tires, intake, throttle body, header, exhaust, comuter chip, short-throw shifter, etc.) I never changed gear before 6000 rpm, and I virtually threw my car into corners (not just turning them). I'm 37 now, married, and planning for kids. I don't drive fast ALL THE TIMES now, but only occasionally, you know, still young at heart. I want comfort; I want room - legroom and shoulder room and my family can still sit comfortably behind me. I passed on the Accord because once I had sit inside the TL, the Accord felt smaller. I talked to myself - why should I cramped into a small interior. Remember that the TSX is the European Accord which is smaller than the American Accord.

However, if I have a chance to buy a second car for myself, I would buy a true 2-door or 2-seater sport car. But with my family, the TL-S is my ultimate choice.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Instructor

Not just for myself but for maybe 80-90% of the car buying population as well. But there's always those last 10-20% exceptions like you. I even know someone who's 60+ and drives a Porsche 911. But he never drives fast and dare not to drive fast.

When I was in school and the first few years working, I drove fast ALL THE TIMES. My Integra was highly modified (springs, shocks, sway bars, wheels, tires, intake, throttle body, header, exhaust, comuter chip, short-throw shifter, etc.) I never changed gear before 6000 rpm, and I virtually threw my car into corners (not just turning them). I'm 37 now, married, and planning for kids. I don't drive fast ALL THE TIMES now, but only occasionally, you know, still young at heart. I want comfort; I want room - legroom and shoulder room and my family can still sit comfortably behind me. I passed on the Accord because once I had sit inside the TL, the Accord felt smaller. I talked to myself - why should I cramped into a small interior. Remember that the TSX is the European Accord which is smaller than the American Accord.

However, if I have a chance to buy a second car for myself, I would buy a true 2-door or 2-seater sport car. But with my family, the TL-S is my ultimate choice.
You seem to have this fetish about speed. Your thesis is that the sole reason folks would opt for a smaller package is to "drive fast ALL the time". Why then would anyone choose a 200 HP / 3200 lb TSX over a 260 HP / 3500 lb TLS that will kick it's butt if that were the case?

As for your speculations as to what 80-90% of the car buying population wants, apparently you are limiting your comments to North America where indeed trucks reign. Certainly it is not the case in Europe nor Asia. With your "older folks like big vehicles" notion, then why don't you just buy a Suburban or a Odyssey? They offer EVEN more room.

rw
Old 03-03-2003, 06:54 PM
6G TLX-S

Sparky57, the TSX will out-corner the TL-S even though it will lose in straight line drags, because the shorter wheel base makes the TSX more nimble and the 6-speed manual let the drivers to have more control. This all equate to more fun to drive. When I said "drive fast", I really meant speed and handling. What good is a car if it only wins at red lights and eats dust on twisty roads.

The TL-S is a wonderful package, with a perfect balance of room, comfort, speed, handling, and value. There's got to be reasons why the TL/TL-S has been the best selling sport sedan in its class for the past four years. Vans and SUVs are not my type. They would have rolled many times over for me. Remember that I still drive fast occasionally when I'm alone, but not all the times like back in the old days. I always put the safety of my family as my first priority.

I have given my personal opinion. I believe many people think more or less the same. There is a similar smaller sport sedan out there - the IS300. I really wonder why the 5000+ members here have chosen the TL/TL-S rather than the IS300. And how about yours ?
Old 03-03-2003, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Sparky57, the TSX will out-corner the TL-S even though it will lose in straight line drags, because the shorter wheel base makes the TSX more nimble and the 6-speed manual let the drivers to have more control.
There is a similar smaller sport sedan out there - the IS300. I really wonder why the 5000+ members here have chosen the TL/TL-S rather than the IS300. And how about yours ?
No debate on your comments concerning handling. You never used that term in your initial post.

Why choose the TL over the Lexus? Availability (lack thereof) in 1998 and brand loyalty. Many others and I want a Honda product in that size class. I say others based on an article in AutoWeek I received just today. They indicated the TSX is in response to numerous requests for Honda to give the NA market a European tuned flavor. Time will tell.

rw