TL-S Tips I've Learned

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 08:02 PM
Iconoclast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post TL-S Tips I've Learned

After reading a couple of posts here recently, and playing with my car a bit more, I've learned of a couple of things that AREN'T in the manual.

Key Fob and Memory Seats - the driver's seat and mirrors stopped automatically returning to the memory position that corresponded to the fob. I read the manual and learned that it was possible to turn this function and off on the fob, but that wasn't the problem. Then I read here that if your mirror switch wasn't in the middle position, the seats and mirrors wouldn't work. Problem solved. I also noticed the seat and mirrors don't start moving until you open the door.

Driver's Window Switch Lights - thought I had three out of four burnt out lights in the window switches on the drivers door. Then I read that if the window lock out switch was on, all the switches except the driver's went dark. Yup.

Driver's Door Lock and Handle - When door locks are engaged, every other car I've had would open and unlock the driver's door by pulling on the door handle. Apparently the TL doesn't.

They were all on my list for the dealer to fix at first oil change, but now I don't have to go in and embarrass myself.

Who's got more?
Old 01-10-2002, 08:26 PM
Racer

Talking

i noticed one!!!!

after i start the car .. and put the car in D5... if i life my foot off the pedal on the left.. it creeps forward. wow another one!!!! after you lift your foot off the left pedal... and you push down on right pedal... your car moves faster!!!! anyone notice the this? or is this just my car?
Old 01-10-2002, 08:57 PM
Racer

FLL Type-S

Lemme guess you are in Ft. Lauderdale?
Old 01-10-2002, 09:06 PM
Iconoclast

Good Guess

Yup.

FLL is the airport code for Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood airport.
Old 01-10-2002, 09:09 PM
Racer

Yup, that's how I knew. I have many FLL tags on my luggage, I work in FLL.
Old 01-10-2002, 09:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

yep, all my previous cars allowed me to open front doors even when the doors were locked.

Also I find it funny the the seats and mirrors start moving to their preset position after you actually open the door. All my previous cars moved the seat and mirrors to preset position as soon as I hit "unlock" on the remote. This way, I could hit it from far away and by the time I walk to the car, it is all ready for me. Acura makes me wait. But what if it is pouring rain outside? Am I supposed to wait with the door open? Or try to squeeze into the seat that is in the position that my wife used (she is much smaller than me)
Old 01-10-2002, 09:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

yep, all my previous cars allowed me to open front doors even when the doors were locked.

Also I find it funny the the seats and mirrors start moving to their preset position after you actually open the door. All my previous cars moved the seat and mirrors to preset position as soon as I hit "unlock" on the remote. This way, I could hit it from far away and by the time I walk to the car, it is all ready for me. Acura makes me wait. But what if it is pouring rain outside? Am I supposed to wait with the door open? Or try to squeeze into the seat that is in the position that my wife used (she is much smaller than me)
Old 01-10-2002, 10:15 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
FFL Type-S,

Good Post! There are a lot of new owners who have not figured all that out yet (and a few old ones! )

Even though some of us know these things, it's nice to hash them out once in a while...

Good Luck with the car!

:-jon
Old 01-10-2002, 10:39 PM
Intermediate

Re: TL-S Tips I've Learned

Originally posted by FLL Type-S

Who's got more?
On the stock CD player, there's no way to switch the display mode to show elapsed time (mm:ss) on the currently playing track. The only way to find that info out is to hold down the skip-forward button (+).

Of course, I might be the only one here who hasn't upgraded his stereo system

Also, I found an undocumented performance booster. It's a little lever you hit with your left foot over on the far left side. Usually it's pushed in, but if you press it to the "out" position, the car goes faster. It also makes the inside of the car smell better somehow.

-Steve
Old 01-10-2002, 11:36 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, here are more...(maybe it's in manual... as I never read my Owner's Manual... hehe)

When your radio is off, and you want to listen to AM/FM/CD... you can simply push FM/CD/Tape button, and radio will turn on and start playing....

Also, when the wiper is in Intermittent(sp) mode and you stop at an intersaction.... when you release brake pedal, the wiper actually swipe once regardless your intermittent setting....

Andy Kuo
Old 01-11-2002, 12:48 AM
Drifting

More tips:

You can always eject a CD (and tape?) even when your car is off. Just hit the Eject button.
Old 01-11-2002, 01:11 AM
Comptech Freak

Question Re: performance booster??

Originally posted by gruzyxl

On the stock CD player, there's no way to switch the display mode to show elapsed time (mm:ss) on the currently playing track. The only way to find that info out is to hold down the skip-forward button (+).

Of course, I might be the only one here who hasn't upgraded his stereo system

Also, I found an undocumented performance booster. It's a little lever you hit with your left foot over on the far left side. Usually it's pushed in, but if you press it to the "out" position, the car goes faster. It also makes the inside of the car smell better somehow.

-Steve
performance booster??? i don't get it...anyone can explain more here??
Old 01-11-2002, 01:53 AM
Pro

Re: Re: performance booster??

Originally posted by samkws

hes referring to the parking brake.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Smile

How about the fact that you can leave your headlights on all the time (if that's your thing) -- and when you shut off the engine and get out, they'll turn off by themselves in about 15 seconds or so (I think).

V.

Daverman: Thanks for the CD Eject tip... didn't know that one!
Old 01-11-2002, 04:29 AM
bluLEGEND

Glad to see people who are not so quick to blame Acura for anything that does not seem correct. A little snooping and a reason/solution can be found.:o

Still, the door unlock thing still bewilders me. I like driving with the doors locked, but don't like to unlock them when I stop.

My tip:
Damn, I can't think of anything I discovered that hasn't already been listed.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:25 AM
Racer

oh yeah?!? you guys never probably noticed it but when you insert the key into the door lock instead of using the remote, if you quickly unlock the driver door and release it, it will only unlock the driver's door but if you hold the key in the unlock position for a couple of seconds it will unlock all the others

geez!!! you TL-S guys think you're all hot stuff!!!
Old 01-11-2002, 07:31 AM
Banned

Originally posted by daverman
More tips:

You can always eject a CD (and tape?) even when your car is off. Just hit the Eject button.
Yes, and those of you with the factory 6-disc in-dash changer can eject all six discs at once by pressing and holding the eject button until it starts beeping. Saves you from having to press a disc selector button, press eject and repeat six times.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:49 AM
Pro

Re: Re: TL-S Tips I've Learned

On the stock CD player, there's no way to switch the display mode to show elapsed time (mm:ss) on the currently playing track. The only way to find that info out is to hold down the skip-forward button (+).-Steve
I've owned the car 8 months and didn't know that one. I'll have to try it when I get home. BTW, I also still have the stock radio and am fine with it.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:39 AM
Iconoclast

Originally posted by Crav4Speed
when you insert the key into the door lock instead of using the remote, if you quickly unlock the driver door and release it, it will only unlock the driver's door but if you hold the key in the unlock position for a couple of seconds it will unlock all the others
Using a key in a lock? You Luddite you!
Old 01-11-2002, 08:41 AM
Drifting

I have one:

If the car is running and you have the second remote, you cannot unlock the trunk with it.

I tried to do this once because I stopped at a grocery store and left the car running so my wife would stay warm and I had to open the trunk from the inside.

Kind of an odd design feature if you ask me
Old 01-11-2002, 10:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by pianoman41

Yes, and those of you with the factory 6-disc in-dash changer can eject all six discs at once by pressing and holding the eject button until it starts beeping. Saves you from having to press a disc selector button, press eject and repeat six times.
Is there a key sequence you can press to eject the Bose stereo and speakers?
Old 01-11-2002, 10:23 AM
Banned

Originally posted by bricot

Is there a key sequence you can press to eject the Bose stereo and speakers?
Yep. Just crack out your Visa card at the nearest mobile audio place and they have the secret code to punch in and send it packing.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:01 AM
tea elle

Re: Re: performance booster??

I'll tell you, but don't tell anyone else. It's actually a small nitrous oxide tank under the floor board and it makes the car go really really fast, and nitrous has a really nice natural scent that gets released into the car when in use.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah it also makes you laugh like crazy
Old 01-11-2002, 11:30 AM
Advanced

When you start/crank your car with the headlights on, notice the HIDs does not dim at all, not like all conventional headlights do...
Does this considered a tip?
Old 01-11-2002, 01:19 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
When the stick wiper switch is set to intermitent and the delay knob is turned to minimum, the wiper will wipe without any delay during driving. However, when the car is stopped, the wiper will wipe with a two second delay in between, and will go back to no delay when the speed exceeds approx. 20 km/hr.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:43 PM
Comptech Freak

Re: Re: Re: performance booster??

Originally posted by corey415

hes referring to the parking brake.
parking brake??? hahahahahahaahahahahahaha

hey stevie...u drive ur car with parking brake on??? no wonder it smells bad...coz u r burning ur rear brakes...hahahahahahahaahahhahaahahaha:p
Old 01-11-2002, 02:45 PM
Comptech Freak

Re: Re: Re: performance booster??

Originally posted by tea elle

I'll tell you, but don't tell anyone else. It's actually a small nitrous oxide tank under the floor board and it makes the car go really really fast, and nitrous has a really nice natural scent that gets released into the car when in use.

hahahahahahahahhaahhahah

u wish!!!:p

get a real NOS!!!
Old 01-11-2002, 02:50 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Ruski

I don't think there is any Japanese cars allow you open the driver door with locked.

I notice the inconvenient about those memory seats also. 'Cuz I did stand there waiting in pouring rain once before. Well... but I still like it 'cuz my Altima doesn't have any memory seats features. :p
Old 01-11-2002, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it was posted here before. For you NAVI owners, after you start your car and the disclaimer screen comes up, touch the "OK" button and then hit the "menu", "map/guide", and "cancel" buttons in sequence, and it will take you to a service/diagnostics menu.

There is a time limit, so you have to do it pretty quickly.
Old 01-11-2002, 05:33 PM
Drifting

Re: Re: Re: Re: performance booster??

parking brake??? hahahahahahaahahahahahaha

hey stevie...u drive ur car with parking brake on??? no wonder it smells bad...coz u r burning ur rear brakes...hahahahahahahaahahhahaahahaha:p
Sarcasm is lost on some people
Old 01-11-2002, 05:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by hemants
I have one:

If the car is running and you have the second remote, you cannot unlock the trunk with it.

I tried to do this once because I stopped at a grocery store and left the car running so my wife would stay warm and I had to open the trunk from the inside.

Kind of an odd design feature if you ask me
Although in your case it wasn't exactly handy, I'm glad this feature is in place. I'd hate for the trunk lid to open while the car was moving because someone accidentally (or intentionally.. heh) hit the trunk release button.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:16 PM
Advanced

Here is one and it should be the same for you guys with doors up the Ying Yang..

When you put the car in reverse, your passenger mirror tilts for you, right? Well, if you push the mirror switch either left or right (take it off center), your passenger mirror will come back up. Hope this makes sense..

Comes in handy some times when you do not want to be staring at the ground but want to see what is behind..
Old 01-13-2002, 08:56 AM

Headlights off

i have discovered that the headlights turn off only if you take your keys from the ignition, and will turn off faster if the car is locked
Old 01-13-2002, 12:02 PM
Racer

Re: Re: TL-S Tips I've Learned

-Steve
Old 01-13-2002, 12:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Here's the BEST FAQ for the CL-S folks, probably apply to you tl-s guys as well.

http://www.geocities.com/gamesmgr/chod/acura/
Old 01-13-2002, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by AKRY

Also, when the wiper is in Intermittent(sp) mode and you stop at an intersaction.... when you release brake pedal, the wiper actually swipe once regardless your intermittent setting....

Andy Kuo
I thought I knew everything about my car, but apparantly not. Tried it yesterday and sure enough, no matter how slow the wipers are set, when stopped, as soon as you take your foot off the brake, they'll swipe.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Ahhh, Grasshoppa thanks Masta for good tip!
Old 01-14-2002, 12:27 AM
Banned

And the reverse is also true. You can press and hold the load button until it beeps and it will take six discs in succession (if empty) and start playing the 6th one once you're done loading.
Old 01-14-2002, 04:20 AM
Instructor

This may or may not be a new thing to everyone, but I was quite surprised when I found out by accident. Someone in my car pointed out that the armrest in front was pushed forward...my first instinct was that someone broke it and I pushed it back, almost taking off someone's finger tip. So, I realized this armrest slides back and forth to accomidate different arm positions. Just a note. That it was a nice surpirse that took me about 6 months to find.

Quick Reply: TL-S Tips I've Learned