TL-S still does well in a comparo

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 08:11 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
TL-S still does well in a comparo

On www.Edmunds.com, the TL-S tied for second palce with A4 3.0L (first was 330 of course) and *AHEAD* of the ugly G35.

Car&Driver mag ranked the car pratically the same in their latest comparo.
Old 09-14-2002, 10:30 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ROFLMAO, UGLY, ROFLMAO, I hope you're kidding, right. Wow, that's too funny!
Old 09-14-2002, 10:31 AM
10th Gear

I guess they tested one right before the tranny blew up!
Old 09-14-2002, 01:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

id rather be stuck on the side of the road with a tls then driving by in a g35 anyday.
Old 09-14-2002, 01:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Why is it that some people started to complain more about the TL once the news article came out. Everything thing is still the same. The % of failed transmissions does not increase if the article is out.

So either put up or shut up!
I'd also be stuck on the side of the road rather than drive the G35.
Old 09-14-2002, 01:54 PM
10th Gear

I always wondered why Acura was so preoccupied with Onstar and roadside service. They musta known the tranny was cheap. Why do people complain? Hmmm, let's see, you're doing 80 MPH down the freeway and WHAM, dead stop. I guess that's ok if you survive and you don't have your family in the car. Yeah, I'd agree, it's clearly second. Maybe the 2004 will come with a hospitalization plan, standard. That'll make it first.
Old 09-14-2002, 02:54 PM
Racer

Re: TL-S still does well in a comparo

Originally posted by Saintor
On www.Edmunds.com, the TL-S tied for second palce with A4 3.0L (first was 330 of course) and *AHEAD* of the ugly G35.

Car&Driver mag ranked the car pratically the same in their latest comparo.
I found the review quite interesting. Something which I liked was that they admitted that they got a slow TLS.

"There was no dissension among the staff when we spoke of the Type-S' lovely 260-horse V6. Characterized by a fat power band and a refined delivery, the 3.2-liter mill seemed more potent than its performance stats indicated , not that there's anything wrong with a 7.0-second mph time or a 15.4-second quarter-mile effort. These are pretty quick times, yet the Acura placed fourth in both sprints. It just felt quicker, and in fact in last year's comparison test, it was, with its blistering 6.6-second effort beating everything else to 60 mph (even an automatic 330i) and tying that Bimmer for quarter-mile honors with a 15.1-second effort down the strip. We can't explain the difference, other than the cars were different and that, on any given day, weather, surface conditions and the test driver's execution can all differ slightly."

What I did not like and found very contradicting was the review of Liz Kim ... cause in the begining of his review he says.

"The Acura was the winner of our last ELLSS comparison test; it wasn't because it was the best in the category, but because it was the most sensible in terms of price and feature content."

but then brands it in the sports sedan category... at the end... HELLO its entry-level luxury sport sedan !!!

"Yes, it's a very, very good car; but it's just not a sport sedan."

My 0.2cents worth... good read none the less!

TLS RULZ
Old 09-14-2002, 03:31 PM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The G35 has already had its small share of awards and wins. Now that the hype is dead, we see how solid the TLS really is (designed a year earlier, with FWD, and still beating the G35). To all the haters: is the tranny issue the best you can come up with? Always remember, for every bad tranny there are many others that are just fine. But all G35 (rear ends) are created ugly.

"Try to be the king but the ace is back."
-Dr. Dre
Old 09-14-2002, 08:32 PM
10th Gear

Is the tranny issue the only thing we can come up with? Wow, I don't even know what to do with that question. Apparently it's more important to have a nice looking back on your car than it is for it to be safe. By the way, I hope your TL isn't behind my G35, otherwise, your liable to be smushed on the back of my ugly car when your tranny fails and you go flying out the front window.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Yagman
Is the tranny issue the only thing we can come up with? Wow, I don't even know what to do with that question. Apparently it's more important to have a nice looking back on your car than it is for it to be safe. By the way, I hope your TL isn't behind my G35, otherwise, your liable to be smushed on the back of my ugly car when your tranny fails and you go flying out the front window.
You're the only one coming up with is the tranny issue. The percentage of failed transmissions is still the same. So stop adding fuel to the fire. I personally don't like the front either. I guess we will have to wait and see what problems await the G35 (only because it just came out). All cars have problems except those that are hand-built. So as I said before, either put up or shut up, since people are aware of this issue. If you don't like it then let us know what a Rolls Royce feels like, if you can afford one.
Old 09-15-2002, 02:00 AM
Racer

Yagman.......do you not have a life? come onto a TL forum and run your mouth. Seriously why don't you goto a G35 forum? or do they not have one because the car sucks so bad, and no one wants to talk about it? Dumbass! Either shut up or get the F**K off this forum!
Old 09-15-2002, 08:14 AM
Racer

1st Amendment Rights

Originally posted by GaddAMIT
Yagman.......do you not have a life? come onto a TL forum and run your mouth. Seriously why don't you goto a G35 forum? or do they not have one because the car sucks so bad, and no one wants to talk about it? Dumbass! Either shut up or get the F**K off this forum!
Some folks have to be knocking others about their cars--gee, the G35 just came out, but the thing was born fugly from the back (although Gagman must think it was beoouuteeful because he bought one).
Yes, some of our cars have transmission issues, but this is a low percentage--Acura should be doing the right thing for those folks, because ALL cars have a percentage that crap out for one reason or another. Wait a few months and see what happens on the G35--perfection is God's realm: not Nissan's or Acura's.
The ones who feel they have to knock others have problems with their CPU (BRAIN). They would be better off going to the head doctor for a replacement...
Old 09-15-2002, 10:44 AM
Dr. TLS

Every time I see yagman post on this site, it verifies my sneaking suspision that there are people who are so drawn to our TLS yet so jealous of it that they must come to these boards, make fun of it, and end up spending more time here than an actual owner like myself. Although you may think that you dogging on the TLS is getting a lot accomplished, your simple presence on this board is a compliment to all the TL enthusiasts around.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:12 AM
10th Gear

I'm sorry guys. If I had A TLS, I wouldn't want anyone to rub in the fact that I was playing Russian Roulette with my tranny on the freeway everyday. That was pretty unthoughtful of me. I joined the forum initially because I was going to buy a TLS. On the day I was gonna seal the deal, the LAtimes article came out. The point I'm trying to make is that a car that has a dangerous transmission should not be rated second.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:36 PM
Racer

I'm sorry guys. If I had A TLS, I wouldn't want anyone to rub in the fact that I was playing Russian Roulette with my tranny on the freeway everyday. That was pretty unthoughtful of me. I joined the forum initially because I was going to buy a TLS. On the day I was gonna seal the deal, the LAtimes article came out. The point I'm trying to make is that a car that has a dangerous transmission should not be rated second.
Yadayada. Come up for air and have someone read you this, just in from Autoweb, Loserman:

I purchased a G35 about a month ago, and it currently has 4,300 miles. (170 on the car when I picked it up) I don’t drive the car hard, and take very good care of the vehicle. After the first week, I brought the car in to have heated seats installed. This was part of the deal negotiated with the sales person. The heaters were installed, and holes were cut in the bottom of the seats, and cheap rocker switches were installed. I was told that center console switches were going to be put in place with indicator lights. This did not happen. They also left a wiring mess under the seats. About a week later I had a problem with the windshield wipers making a loud screeching noise. I brought the car in and they cleaned the wiper blades, this did not fix the problem. This past Wednesday it was the transmission! It was shifting with a loud BANG. I also noticed loud wining noises and erratic down shifting, slipping etc...

Guess that the G35 will drop from 4th too...don't be so quick to criticize, your tranny may be the next to go bang...
Old 09-15-2002, 03:35 PM
Dr. TLS

This last post reminds me. I have come across a couple of people with tranny problems on their G35 on several boards. Just goes to show that if you are afraid of the transmission and let it own you, then perhaps you should consider a BMX bicycle for your daily traveling needs. And since rankings matter so much to you, you should go all out and get the Schwinn. They always win bike comparisons.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:31 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by vandy786
This last post reminds me. I have come across a couple of people with tranny problems on their G35 on several boards. Just goes to show that if you are afraid of the transmission and let it own you, then perhaps you should consider a BMX bicycle for your daily traveling needs. And since rankings matter so much to you, you should go all out and get the Schwinn. They always win bike comparisons.
My best friend leased a G35 a few months ago. He was going to lease a TL-S because he loved my car but was also afraid of Tranny problems. Needless to say, he is having his tranny replaced already......I didn't seem too surprised though (and either did he) because he drove the car really hard from day one. I don't think his tranny problem in his G35 is widespread.....I think he just got unlucky (or drove like an a$$, which is completely like him!!) As much as I think the G35 is ugly, Infiniti definitly has a quality car and I think his tranny problem was just a fluke....BUT, I've always heard not to buy/lease a car that is in a new model year......the bugs have not been worked out yet!
Old 09-16-2002, 10:32 AM
www.cardomain.com/id/perr

C'mon lets not pick on someone for defending his car we all do it anyway if we are proud of what we drive.

I do believe the G35 should have placed higher in the comparo given the overall value of the car, and the enginuity that went it to the suspension, weight distribution, areodynamics of the car.

the biggest gripe they had with the G35 was the steering and the interior ergonomitry. I would definately buy a BMW over the G or the TLS but I think the G is good for what it offers at the price.

Old 09-16-2002, 10:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yea but "at the price" meaning that if you want to match up with all the functions the TL-S has you'll end up paying 35K. If it is 35K then they should be comparing it to the ES300. But then again you have to see what Audi is charging for all the features we have, it'll also be around 35K, maybe because its a German....and the BMW is above that.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
LOL... so true. Every car has their problems. Just b/c the tranny issue made it to the papers doesn't mean that it's the only car with issues. Out of over 1.1 millions CLs/TLs/Accords/Oddessy's... 16,000 had tranny issues... if you break-out the TL and CL sales and keep the 16k number you're only looking at 1.6% of cars with failures. I highly DOUBT that the G35 has a lower % of problems reported. They may not be tranny issues... but there are still problems.

Also, not all tranny problems downshift the car at 80mph... others have had it happen other ways.....

There's nothing wrong with defending your car... but just don't be an @ss about it and get some real facts before you run your mouth......
Old 09-16-2002, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Always remember, for every bad tranny there are many others that are just fine. But all G35 (rear ends) are created ugly.
hahaha so true!
Old 09-16-2002, 05:52 PM
Racer

the 4 door g35's are butt ugly but the g35 2 door coupe is kinda nicer
Old 09-16-2002, 10:44 PM
10th Gear

If I owned an Acura, I'd be saying the same things. I know it must suck knowing your tranny could put you through the front window at any moment. I'm sorry for rubbing it in. I hope my apology is accepted. May the powers that be bless you and your Acura tranny. I did learn one thing, don't have heated seats installed aftermarket, what a mess. Thanks for that info. Gotta sleep, tired from "running my mouth".
Old 09-16-2002, 11:22 PM
Instructor

If I owned an Acura, I'd be saying the same things. I know it must suck knowing your tranny could put you through the front window at any moment. I'm sorry for rubbing it in. I hope my apology is accepted. May the powers that be bless you and your Acura tranny. I did learn one thing, don't have heated seats installed aftermarket, what a mess. Thanks for that info. Gotta sleep, tired from "running my mouth".
Look man, how many times are you gonna say this crap about Acura trannies? Every car manufacturer has their problems, but not all cars are accompanied by an internet forum to complain about concerns/problems.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:56 AM
Dr. TLS

I hope my apology is accepted. May the powers that be bless you and your Acura tranny.
I am really sorry for treating you badly, Yagman. I hope my apology is accepted. I would wish good things for your car like you did for us but I think we all know that even if we prayed for your car, the chances of its looks improving is very minute.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:46 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Alexxx
Why is it that some people started to complain more about the TL once the news article came out. Everything thing is still the same. The % of failed transmissions does not increase if the article is out.

So either put up or shut up!
I'd also be stuck on the side of the road rather than drive the G35.
I agree, there have been numerous posts on tranny failures, but when you go to poll them, a much smaller number comes up.

I'm not dismissing the fact that there are tranny problems. It's just that it's appearing to be a smaller percentage than I first thought.

According to the polls taken on the CL-Forum, I've seen less than 100 failures. While that's a high number, it's a very small percentage of the 1000s sold.

Anyway, I too test drove the G35, and will stick with my TLS. And with the $10,000+ I saved by not buying the Bimmer I can enjoy other things too. Now if someone paid for it, I'd be truthful in saying that I'd rather have the Bimmer. But if someone were buying, I wouldn't stop with a 330i. I'd get something else. An M5 or M3, maybe a nice MB 430AMG or a some other highend lux-sport car.

Bottom-line, first place in one category isn't the most important factor.

RUF
Old 09-17-2002, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Yagman is playing all you guys...
Old 09-17-2002, 12:48 PM
Dr. TLS

If I really wanted a G35, I would just buy a used one next year. From what I hear, it might be the best $13K I ever spend.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:44 AM
10th Gear

...like a fiddle, LOL!
Old 09-19-2002, 10:09 PM
10th Gear

Wow, there sure are a lot of posts about trannies. Maybe it isn't just me.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey yagman, first of all you don't even seem old enough to drive. I hate to stoop down to your level but if you don't like TL's get the h3ll of this site. Go drive your glorified Altima with ugly taillights and be happy. Buy the way, has that copycat sport entry level luxury car even been on the road long enough to see whats gonna fall apart on it? No car is perfect and 1.6% tranny failure is damn close. Your on a TL site with close to 5000 cars, of course you are going to hear a lot of stories. So go awy:thefinger

Isn't there a Nissan/Infinity forum?

Oh yea, how much did you pay for that HID option????????????
Old 09-20-2002, 12:57 AM
Intermediate

Yagman does seem to be a product of an abusive home.

Regardless, I recently dumped my TLS for the first place winner of this comparison the 330i - and I have to agree with the results completely. I know everyone is sick of hearing that but it is a much better car.

I probably would still be driving if it wasn't for the fact that I find the local dealership here really sucks. I also prefer RWD. This was my forth Acura and the dealership in NH really treated me well. Now that I am in in TN and there is little need for FWD - after screwing around with the dealership here enough - I've converted.

The BMW costs alot more but you get a lot more. Mines fully loaded and is worth every penny. The drive and handling is marvelous - you have to drive one for a while to truly appreciate it. The seats and other appointments are outstanding. It's a bit smaller - so for some that may be an issue.

Don't get me wrong - I like the TLS - it's a great car and probably would still be driving it if I had to deal with snow. But there are some compromises to keep the price at 30K. Just like the others in the comparison. I've driven the G35 and was not impressed. It's exactly like the TLS with RWD - just uglier. The steering is too light, the suspension does not instill confidence and the engine just doesn't "feel" as responsive. It is roomy and the interior is fair. I think the coupe may be decent.

Enjoy the TLS but if you have the means - don't discount the 330i just because every magazine "picks" them - there is a reason.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:46 AM
Dr. TLS

Hey Yagman,
You probably just overlooked my comment on purpose because it's so damn true. But here it is again:

IF I REALLY WANTED A G35, I WOULD JUST BUY A USED ONE NEXT YEAR. FROM WHAT I HEAR, IT MIGHT BE THE BEST $13K I EVER SPEND.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:13 AM
10th Gear

Actually, I was too busy reading about tranny horror stories. They're great if you turn the lights down low and put eerie music in the background. By the way, you might not have that 13K(I don't think you should spend this much money on a car that was in an accident with a cracked frame) since you'll be spending it on a tranny or two, ROFLMAO!
Old 09-20-2002, 03:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Get a life!
Old 09-20-2002, 08:09 PM
Racer

GaYman

Originally posted by JPTLS21
Get a life!

He has--this is it. He can't drive and he can't get l--d. But he does know how to be an as-hole by annoying as many people as he can.
We should ship him to Iraq--he could get Hussein to abdicate (and if he can't. . .:flamer: