nope.

------------------
2002 Aegean Blue TL-S w/Navi
Chrome CL-S wheels, H&R OE springs, tint, K&N drop-in

2000 VW Passat Wagon
Old 06-18-2001, 12:28 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
It is not bad if you listen to a lot of classical and "vocal" oriented music. The BOSE system is great for the mid-range frequency.

------------------
Those who know, don't talk.
Old 06-18-2001, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

I actually haven't heard it yet, but BOSE in general sucks. On my car now I added 2 6/12" Bazooka's and I will be carrying those over to the TL-S. It adds some bass which the BOSE does not have....

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by juniorbean on June 18, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-18-2001, 12:50 PM
MBA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

It's good enough. 180 watts.
Anything more, then perhaps you shouldn't be driving... :-)

------------------
2002 TL-S Satin Silver - no NAV
Old 06-18-2001, 01:22 PM
Intermediate

I agree. I think Bose is quite good, actually. It's not Macintosh, or Blaupunkt, or Alpine, but they make decent home systems. I find their 180 watt system above average. The speakers are nicely oriented to generate surround-sound effect.
Old 06-18-2001, 01:42 PM
Instructor

The sound system overall is pretty bad. Some tweeters up front would help a great deal. The monsoon system in my other car sounds phenominal compared to any Bose sysem I have heard in the TLS, Maxima, MB, etc...
Old 06-18-2001, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by pjonkheer1:
The sound system overall is pretty bad. Some tweeters up front would help a great deal. The monsoon system in my other car sounds phenominal compared to any Bose sysem I have heard in the TLS, Maxima, MB, etc...
I agree with that. My Passat wagon has the Monsoon system. If you listen to them back-to-back, the TLS system is just embarassing. No highs, no lows, just everything compressed into a very narrow frequency range.

------------------
2002 Aegean Blue TL-S w/Navi
Chrome CL-S wheels, H&R OE springs, tint, K&N drop-in

2000 VW Passat Wagon
Old 06-18-2001, 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Cool

Originally posted by cjscott:
*(snip)*
No highs, no lows, just everything compressed into a very narrow frequency range.
I though you were going to say the popular catch line for BOSE... I guess I will

No highs, no lows.....must be BOSE!

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0
Mods: * PIAA Superwhite Headlights ** Rabrig Superwhite corners ** PIAA 1100x Superwhite fogs ** Clear Bumpers (finally) ** tinted windows (20% rear / 35% rest) ** Weapon-R F1 Carbon Intake ** (NOW FOR SALE!!)

Moderator - 1st Gen and Car Talk Forum @ www.acura-cl.com
Old 06-18-2001, 02:00 PM
Racer

The bose system begs for some low end bass!
Old 06-18-2001, 02:07 PM
Racer

Arrow

I agree with whoever said it needs tweeters; The highs, coming throught the mid-range drivers, are ragged and annoying. Independent tweeters would help that a lot.

I also hear an annoying mid-bass peak when I'm not driving. It's unnoticable when there's even a small amount of road noise.

Overall, I find it livable for mobile music. I just drop the treble a notch. But then, I've got a truly hi-fi system at home.

------------------
David

Black-on-Black non-NAV 2000
Old 06-18-2001, 02:33 PM
Intermediate

I find it to be a very basic system. Definitely can be improved a great deal w/aftermarket components, particularly components up front. Just depends on your listening needs.
Old 06-18-2001, 02:35 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

The sound is very good. Please don't compare GOOD with LOUD OR COOL Quality is good.

------------------
Old 06-18-2001, 02:51 PM
Pro

This is from Acura web site:

"Acura/Bose® Music System

A customized Acura/Bose® Music System is standard on 2002 TL. Designed and built as an integral part of the car, the system is engineered to take advantage of TL’s unique acoustics. All speakers have been carefully selected and placed, and the electronics have been specifically tuned to work with the car’s interior. Bose® equalization circuitry automatically maintains proper tonal balance at all times to produce natural, lifelike sound for drivers and passengers.

The system includes 150 watts of power, two Bose® power amplifiers and five Bose® speakers. The four door-mounted speakers are Bose®-designed 16-cm, wide-range speakers, custom-equalized for TL’s interior. The rear filler panel includes an Nd® woofer with output equal to two 6x9-inch woofers, yet it takes up considerably less trunk space. And, the system can be played at any volume level without audible distortion."

So, where did it say 180?

------------------
2002 Acura TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Parchment Leather

2001 Infiniti I30t w/navigation
Midnight Blue
Biege Lather
Old 06-18-2001, 02:53 PM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by Bitium:
The sound is very good. Please don't compare GOOD with LOUD OR COOL Quality is good.

I agree. I usually have my bass turned down to half when I listen to most songs. When I cruise or listen to rap, I turn the bass all the way up. I think the TL-S has a great system. Of course, I am not one of those bass-craving people who like to have their bumpers shake and rattle while they drive.

------------------
2002 TL Type S w/o Navi
Diamond White Pearl
Parchment Interior

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by vandy786 on June 18, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-18-2001, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Hmmmm, I guess the best response would be -- it depends on personal preference. My opinion -- I think it's adequate but I'm sure it could be better.
Old 06-18-2001, 03:01 PM
Racer

Smile

IMHO, I believe Bose only supplies the speaker system and designs the interior system dynamics/acoustic characteristics. I know my Maxima SE had a Bose system but the head unit was Clarion; is this then really a Bose system? I would say no but Bose probably likes having their name on a lot of sound systems so they probably do this for ANY manufacturer willing to let them inside their vehicles.

I had heard that Alpine supples the head unit for the new TL-S' but I, personally, can not confirm this. I do know that the unit in my TL-S tracks my CD's and CD-R's perfectly while the sound system in my 1999 3.2TL had a problem with many CD-R's. Who supposedly supplied the head unit for the '99 TL, I have no idea.

I'll live with sound of the supplied "Bose" system as I am not interested in either having my dash pulled apart or my speakers replaced. Between the road noise and the other noise variables factored in it is just fine for what I need. I'll put the money in my home 6.1 sound system with DD/DTS and sub; it rocks!

------------------
'02 Acura TL-S
Satin Silver/Ebony, w/out NAV

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by imax on June 18, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-18-2001, 03:49 PM
Instructor

I think it's a nice sounding "factory system". Now 6 or 7 years ago when I was entering crank it up competitions I would've said it was weak. But then again I'm 6 or 7 years older and don't need all that stuff in my car. I decided to do as "black2000" mentioned. I loaded up my living room. If you want to enjoy a sweet setup why not do it on your couch while watching a movie.
Old 06-18-2001, 04:18 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
I disagree with anyone who says the TL-S system is not good. Just keep the trebile and bass up and this system knocks with the right music (especially techno or rap)

------------------
2002 Satin Silver TL-S With Navi
Xenon Plus Fog Light Bulbs
Old 06-18-2001, 05:07 PM
Racer

The Bose system is good or adequate.

I was in a 2000 Cadillac STS last week.
Man, our TL-S system can't match with the quality of sound of that Cadillac Bose system.

Any body have tried the STS system? I think it is 440 watts of power of something near that.

If only ACURA could have put that system...

------------------[*]2002 TL-S Satin Silver Canadian model[*]50%-35% Tint[*]Ebony wood kit from snook789
Old 06-18-2001, 05:45 PM
Instructor

For stock, it isn't bad. It was hard going from

A) 1994 Integra (Boston Acqustics with tweeter in front, Pioneer 3-ways in back, and a 8" kicker tube--All for crisp highs, gread mid, and just enough bass)

B) To the TL-S. But, I think about it and if you don't compare it to other high-end stereo's, it's fine. In fact, think about how stereos were just 5 years ago...much improved and we have now raised the bar. At some point, we just need to be satisfied with what we have and enjoy it...at least for a moment
Old 06-18-2001, 05:49 PM
Cruisin'

Talking

Radio? I didn't know my car came with a radio!Damn!
Old 06-18-2001, 06:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts
There are a lot of people on this board who say "Bose blows". They choose to spend a fair amount of money on aftermarket stereo systems, which darn well better deliver piercing highs and booming bass. I LOVE music, especially when driving, and I have found the Acura/Bose systems quite satisfactory. Take a few of your favorite CDs down to the dealer and pop them in. Set the stereo to your taste and crank it. See how it sounds to YOU!

------------------
Why doesn't everybody make cars as well as Acura?
Old 06-18-2001, 07:08 PM
Pro

No factory system can touch a decent custom stereo, but as far as factory systems go, the Bose unit in the TLS isn't bad at all. It sucks if you have the windows down, but does a fine job with the windows up. It'd also likely be a whole lot better with a decent amp.
Old 06-18-2001, 08:19 PM
Burning Brakes

It's OK to pretty good. No, it won't compare to a high-end custom system costing thousands of dollars, and there are some cars with better factory systems. However, you could probably count the cars that come with better stereos on both hands.

Hmm, let's see: Lexus GS, LS, SC, Nissan Maxima, Infiniti 30 and 45, Corvette, Camaro, Firebird, BMW "M-bass" system on M3 and M5. That's all I can think of...eleven total, but I perhaps missed a few.

If you've never listened to one of the above stereos (when ordered with all the bells and whistles), or spent over a grand customizing a car stereo than you'll think the TL has a really good one.

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 06-18-2001, 08:52 PM
Racer

The Bose system sucks. I have a reasonably high-end rig at home and maybe I am subconsciously using that as a reference but I find the Bose/Alpine combination to be lacking in the critical mid range area. The clarity and definition just aren't there. It doesn't help that there are no separate tweeters either.

The Pioneer on my old ES 300 sounded so much better. You have to hand it to Lexus for getting their audio right. They are offering the Mark Levinson option on their LS 430 GS 430 and soon to be released ES 300. I heard it while test driving the GS 430 and it BLEW me away. Nothing I’ve heard even comes close.

Having said all that, the ultimate aim is to enjoy the music. Whether you do that through a $50 Magnavox boombox or a $50000 Mark Levinson system is irrelevanant.

Trouble is once you listen to the Mark Levinson its difficult to go back to anything else

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by 1000bpm on June 18, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-18-2001, 08:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by tgif:
This is from Acura web site:

"Acura/Bose® Music System

A customized Acura/Bose® Music System is standard on 2002 TL. Designed and built as an integral part of the car, the system is engineered to take advantage of TL’s unique acoustics. All speakers have been carefully selected and placed, and the electronics have been specifically tuned to work with the car’s interior. Bose® equalization circuitry automatically maintains proper tonal balance at all times to produce natural, lifelike sound for drivers and passengers.

The system includes 150 watts of power, two Bose® power amplifiers and five Bose® speakers. The four door-mounted speakers are Bose®-designed 16-cm, wide-range speakers, custom-equalized for TL’s interior. The rear filler panel includes an Nd® woofer with output equal to two 6x9-inch woofers, yet it takes up considerably less trunk space. And, the system can be played at any volume level without audible distortion."

So, where did it say 180?

The 2002 Acura press kit and the Canadian website show 180.
Old 06-18-2001, 08:58 PM
Racer

" And, the system can be played at any volume level without audible distortion."
What a bunch of BS. The higher the volume the higher the distortion. The distortion is very audible, even at moderately loud levels.

Old 06-18-2001, 11:46 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by 1000bpm:
The Bose system sucks. I have a reasonably high-end rig at home and maybe I am subconsciously using that as a reference but I find the Bose/Alpine combination to be lacking in the critical mid range area. The clarity and definition just aren't there. It doesn't help that there are no separate tweeters either.

The Pioneer on my old ES 300 sounded so much better. You have to hand it to Lexus for getting their audio right. They are offering the Mark Levinson option on their LS 430 GS 430 and soon to be released ES 300. I heard it while test driving the GS 430 and it BLEW me away. Nothing I’ve heard even comes close.

Having said all that, the ultimate aim is to enjoy the music. Whether you do that through a $50 Magnavox boombox or a $50000 Mark Levinson system is irrelevanant.

Trouble is once you listen to the Mark Levinson its difficult to go back to anything else

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by 1000bpm on June 18, 2001 @ ]</font>
I thought the same thing when I drove a TL....
I was like, uhhh that's it... the front end spectrum of the car felt sorta empty---the front speakers produce no bass at all---I mean you need a little, it just felt like it was coming from dead center rear and it was... I remember I drove a 92 Caddy ElDorado, didn't say BOSE, or anything other than cadillac --- only 4 speakers and that thing had awesome bass --- it could have used some tweets, but damn was it low and clean bass. Same with one RPH i work with, she has a 97 or so Sebring--I'm not even sure she has the premium sound system (although I think it must be--but it doesnt say infinity on it anywhere)
Anyhow, I went out in here car to see if it would work with CDR's cuz she wanted a burner and i cranked it up AWESOME BASS AWESOME HIGHS, it was very very very good... i was like wow, this things gotta have a stock subwoofer --- looked in the trunk, two 6X9's--i was shocked
Old 06-18-2001, 11:55 PM

Lightbulb TL-S sound system

is the tl-s sound system any good?
Old 06-19-2001, 12:48 AM
Racer

It's decent but I getting an aftermarket system I think you know my opion

Mr.T
Old 06-19-2001, 12:59 AM
Pro

Smile

It sounds good enough to me! I don't need anything fancy in the car when I have it at home. I would not spend any money on improving the sound. To me, it's not worth it.

------------------
'02 TL-S WDP/Parchment NAV
Old 06-19-2001, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by Mr.T:
It's decent but I getting an aftermarket system I think you know my opion

Mr.T
I would hope that after all these years Acura would be able to put in a "great" sounding audio system. Unfortunately, Bose systems in general are consistently uninspiring. I feel like the system in my TL lives up to the Bose expectation.

Maybe someday Acura could get Harmon Kardon to do the branded OEM system.

We can always hope!

-DPW

------------------
2002 Acura 3.2TL Type-S, Aegean Blue Pearl, w/ Navi
Old 06-19-2001, 01:59 AM
Burning Brakes

The BOSE system is unacceptable and quite substandard for a so-called "premium" system. I think those who say it is good have no other reference point to compare it with. Hear a Lexus/Nakamichi or Mark Levinson system and then see what you think of the BOSE - it will sound like the CRAP it is!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by thejavagod on June 19, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-19-2001, 02:16 AM
Racer

as for me.... i think the system isn't da bomb.. but its sufficient FOR NOW... until i put my 3 JL subs in and an amp hehehehhehe..... (which cost $$$$)... so I can't complain..

but if you compare it to a Benz without Bose... this system is wayyyy better... however, its comparable to the Benz system with Bose.. i think they use the same woofer (i need to check on that)... and I've heard that Infiniti's Bose is better than Acura's can anyone verify this?

anyhow..... i don't think i'm putting a new head unit in it cuz i like how the stock system goes with the dash and stuff... so i'll just have to wait for my subs and amps

peace
Old 06-19-2001, 07:51 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by thejavagod:
The BOSE system is unacceptable and quite substandard for a so-called "premium" system. I think those who say it is good have no other reference point to compare it with. Hear a Lexus/Nakamichi or Mark Levinson system and then see what you think of the BOSE - it will sound like the CRAP it is!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by thejavagod on June 19, 2001 @ ]</font>

It's all relative to your reference point. Does it sound good to the Mark Levinson set up? Hell no. But compared to "most factory systems" it sounds good. Your comparing apples to oranges here. Bose isn't Mark Levinson, TL-S isn't a LS430, and $33,000 isn't $57,000, and it isn't suppose to be.

It's a stereo built for the masses, not for the audiophiles.

I don't know why I'm debating this anyway, I hate BOSE.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by RX-72ATL-S on June 19, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-19-2001, 08:32 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Iceman:
There are a lot of people on this board who say "Bose blows". They choose to spend a fair amount of money on aftermarket stereo systems, which darn well better deliver piercing highs and booming bass. I LOVE music, especially when driving, and I have found the Acura/Bose systems quite satisfactory. Take a few of your favorite CDs down to the dealer and pop them in. Set the stereo to your taste and crank it. See how it sounds to YOU!
I agree. I think the system sounds real good, personally I can't stand it when cars 3 car lengths away can make your mirrors shake. Those systems are for home not the car.
Old 06-19-2001, 10:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

At best Bose is adequate.

IMO volume and quality are two very different things, quantity of sound vs. accuracy of sound.

I had the chance to work with a guy who worked at a a/v store when I was buying speakers for my 6.1 home system. We went in on a Sunday when the store was closed and set up a number of different sets of speakers on a a/b/c/d switch, that way we were running the same amp, CD, speaker locations. The person listening had no idea which set was being played, with eye's closed they listened while the other toggled between speaker sets. Bose was clearly the first set of speakers to get eliminated. The Salesman said he was glad to be part of this test because he didn't realize how bad they were until doing this blind test.

But I have to agree with IMAX, I don't want anyone tearing in to my dash, etc and introducing squeaks and rattles, so I will deal with it.
Old 06-19-2001, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts
Maybe someday Acura could get Harmon Kardon to do the branded OEM system.
My Bimmer has the harman/kardon ten-speaker system, which I think sounds great. It's definitely got higher highs and more thunderous bass than my Acura Bose system. I read a review, however, that said harman/kardon should be embarassed to have their name associated with it. To each his own, I suppose! I will say that I think the Acura system has richer, fuller sound than the harman/kardon.

Now if we're talking home systems, I wouldn't recommend Bose. They are great when you don't have much room, but there are certainly better sounding speakers out there. But it's not like when you build a house you get a "stock" stereo and then have to debate whether to replace it. Given the choice of any car stereo brand, I wouldn't pick Bose either. Given that's what Acura includes, though, I think it's acceptable.

Would I like an option to get a Mark Levinson system? I guess so, but look at how much that costs on the Lexus. No wonder they made it an option too!

------------------
'98 Primrose Mist Metallic Acura 3.0CL Premium
'00 Dakar Yellow II BMW M Roadster

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Iceman on June 19, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-19-2001, 03:16 PM
Cruisin'

I'm slightly disappointed with the sound system. I expected better bass. Does anyone know how to alter the subwoofer of has anyone put any better subwoofer in their TL-S to improve the sound?
Old 06-19-2001, 03:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

VTEC_RACER added a sub you might want to check with him.

Quick Reply: TL-S sound system