tl-s mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 07:46 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
tl-s mods

I've made it through Xmas and managed to save some cash...I need some help with some proposed mods...I'm looking for some extra punch, but still want better handling to boot...
I'm thinking of getting the Comptech headers, AEM cold air intake and Comptech springs. This is gonna set me back $2k installed...
A friend is telling me to forgo the c/a/i as I already have the Comptech upgraded airfilter and get the Comptech exhaust instead to go with the header. He suggests sticking with the springs...The shop doing the work suggests this as well, but skips the springs and goes for the Comptech front and rear sway bars...I already upgraded the brakepads to Greenstuffs and have 18x7" light alloys with 235/40/18's which has improved handling, but there is a bit of a gap in the wheel well. I heard that the spring height reduction with actually help improve acceleration and braking by keeping the car from rising or squatting whcih it really does a lot...

Any help?
Old 12-26-2002, 09:00 AM
Bada Bing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sway bars will help with the handling more than the springs will. If your main concern is handling then you should get the sway bars...if it's more visual with slight handling then the springs should be your choice.

As for the exhaust...it will not give you that much in terms of performance (2-3 HP at best). It's more of a visual & tone upgrade. I would go with the cold air intake.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:00 AM
Racer

Sounds like some good advice. It seems people here will tell you to skip the exhaust if you are looking for power. You will only get sound and looks with the exhasut. Also, you might want to consider the OBX headers. They are pretty much the same design as comtech, for half the price. Sways are a great idea to reduce body roll. Be careful of springs, they need to be stiffer to help...not jsut lower. But stiffer springs means a stiffer ride. You might want to find some people in your area with suspensions you can ride in and test out. Too stiff for one is fine for another. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

i would say forget the 2 or 5 hp mods, and get the springs AND sways...that way, your car will look nice, AND your handling will improve by A LOT. i mean u won't feel much of a 2-5 hp gain, but you will definitely notice the improved looks of a drop, and you will also definitly notice the improvement in handling from the springs and sways.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:26 AM
Intermediate

how about TEIN SS
Old 12-26-2002, 09:41 AM
lover and fighter

WiLz has a really good point, but question: I test drove about 10 of these cars as my dealer could really care less and the salesman was young. The one I purchased seemed abnormally faster to begin with and spins the tires into second gear from the first day (and when I say spins them, it spins them hard) I got the car and with a little tire wear, well, you get the idea. Would the c/a/i really make any difference? I heard it was a little loud anyway and I'm trying to stay away from that...You guys have been a big help...
Old 12-26-2002, 07:01 PM
Burning Brakes

its normal that some cars are faster than others...you prob just got lucky, and got one of the faster ones...or maybe its just ur imagination
anyway, i've never had the CAI so i can't comment on its performance gains, but i do kno that its not that loud. you can't really hear it below vtec levels...
Old 12-26-2002, 08:18 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to summarize what you have so we are on the same page....
Wheels/Tires
Drop in Filter
Brake pads.
and extra $$$

I have a CAI and I wouldnt recommend it. It is NOT for everyone (plus you have the Comptech drop in filter already). If I was in YOUR shoes with the mods you have and an extra 2k lying around, this list is what I would pick from first, and consider everything else secondary until after I complete the fuctional mods.

Tints (for interior protection...not for looks)
OBX header
H&R OE spring (stage 1)
Sways (Neuspeed or Comptech)
Old 12-27-2002, 08:22 AM
lover and fighter

We don't get picked on here in Florida...I've got 20% tint all the way around--in fact, did that the day after I bought the car...I did some trivial stuff like added the type-s emblems on the front fenders, changed the fogs to a bulb almost similar to the headlights (yet the name escapes me), and the wheels are Vaults with the paint scheme almost matching the silver of the car. I did add the sound dampening to the rear deck and the insides of each door and the car is noticably quieter.
Question: I saw some posts earlier saying the OBX headers had good power gains but the quality was bad from the fit to the finish, etc...That true?