TL-p SCCA Road Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 03:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking TL-p SCCA Road Racing

Yesterday, me and several buddies went to the local track to take a class on Road Racing. After a 45 minute classroom briefing, we were off to the track. The school utilizes Renault Spec Racers equipped with 4-banger 1.7 litre engines and a 4-speed tranny. Although the engines produce only 90hp, these cars weigh next to nothing, tube frames, fiberglass bodywork etc. After several warm up laps and following the instructor, they cut you loose. These cars are amazing....100+ mph on the straights. The lateral G's these cars handle was incredible. The class was a bit pricey but I think it was well worth it. If you ever get the opportunity you gotta try it!
Anyways, after the driving session, they let us have a lapping session with our cars! A Corvette, Porsche, Audi A6 and my stock TL. Let me say that my TL kept up with the A6 on the straightaways, until it came to the turns. Unfortunately I did not have the time (nor the cash) to get the sways so I ran the car stock (except for the 17" wheels and T1-S Proxes.) Tires were awesome, no squeal or slide! Car had around 6-8" of body roll which was pretty spooky. After 2 laps, I started to smell the brakes cooking so I stopped. Top speed 104mph on the straight.
Bottom line....stock TL-p suspension has no place on the racetrack. :p Brakes suck...lots of brake fade. I was happy with the power...our car ain't no slug . Was really good to drive the car hard. Now I know what the limitations are and let me say I'll think twice before driving fast on the street with this car. Sorry for the long post....:p
Old 08-18-2002, 04:18 AM
4dr & I like it that way

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
howd you get to be a mod if you're still stock
get yourself some springs/sways man, then you'd have NO fear driving fast
Old 08-18-2002, 02:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Lawaia, can you please give me some more info on this track. My folks live on Oahu and I had no idea there was a road course on Oahu.

My dad has always been going stir crazy with his M3.....compared to places on the mainland, Hawaii is very limited in enjoying a quick sprint. Too small and cops everywhere....I have never been to a place with so many cops around. I heard they finally got rid of those "Vans" huh?

Sounds like you had a great time, I know I would of for sure

Thanks
Old 08-18-2002, 02:47 PM
Comptech Freak

nice
i agree our brakes sux ass...compare to nissan cars...

try the comtech springs will improve handling but with about the same ride quality.
Old 08-20-2002, 02:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am definitely looking at going with H&R springs and Comptech Sways. Heck, the Brembo kit is looking like a necessity too!

Hey Tuff, the track is located at Hawaii Raceway Park. They got everything from 1/4 mile strip to 1/4 mile dirt track, a 1.3 and .75 mile road track as well as a go-kart track. They hold monthly lapping sessions where they allow you to run your car on the track, as well as drifting sessions. Not sure how often so you may want to call in advance. If you need more info, give me a shout...a good friend of mine knows some key people there.
Aloha....