TL Odometer

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2001, 07:13 PM

Question TL Odometer

My car is leased and so far I'm WAY over the allowed mileage. My lease is scheduled to end in Dec.'02 and I already have 29k miles. The lease was for 36k. I really don't want to pay the $0.30 a mile, because it's going to add up to some serious money.

So my question is, how can I take back a few miles from my odometer? I know the legal issues involved so there is no need to lecture me. There is one site that seemed to offer what I want, but I'm not sure - www.vauxtronic.com.

If anyone has any experience with this problem please comment.

------------------
'00 Acura TL Black
Old 05-17-2001, 07:16 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know if I was going to do something illegal I would definitely post it on the internet where everyone can read it.

Good thinking...

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.adamoski.com/acura.html" TARGET=_blank> </A>
Old 05-17-2001, 07:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Yea, not a good idea.... I'm happy with my 20,000 miles on my '99!
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator
'66 Mustang Fastback
'99 Mazda Miata
'99 Acura TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech Springs and Sways, CL Type S wheels wrapped with 225/45/17 Dunlop SP9000's, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, Gutter Guard Grille, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 05-17-2001, 07:32 PM

Like I said I'm aware of the legal issues, but the question still stands.

So why not e-mail me if you have any comments which can help me out, thanks.

------------------
'00 Acura TL Black
Old 05-17-2001, 07:42 PM
slickTL17

Originally posted by MarineTL:
Like I said I'm aware of the legal issues, but the question still stands.

So why not e-mail me if you have any comments which can help me out, thanks.

Go lease another car... You should've figured out how much you would be driving...

Old 05-17-2001, 07:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Why not just buy the car at the end of the lease, instead of passing the cost along to the rest of the law-abiding world.

Otherwise, it's like youre ripping each and every one of us off a little. The reason it's illegal is because it's wrong, OK?

Some Marine you are...

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Gomez on May 17, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-17-2001, 07:45 PM

Red face

I'd be damned if i till you....first off you are stupid enough to post this in an open forum and expect someone to tell u? Please....just live with it...if you can afford the car then u can afford an extra .30 a mile. How about buying it? Then you won't have to worry about it.

If you think you are only fooling the dealer with the miles you are dead wrong. Most cars these days contain internal systems for keeping track of the miles and even the amount of hours the car has been on...kinda like watercraft (my fathers 00' tahoe has an hour log). What about the guy who buys the car after you once you turn it in? Thinking he has 40k on the car yet its really like 60k? If the dealer doesn't figure out your scam the first time they might the second time and it can hurt someone else....

THink about it!
Old 05-17-2001, 07:46 PM
slickTL17

Originally posted by Gomez:
Why not just buy the car at the end of the lease, instead of passing the cost along to the rest of the law-abiding world.

Otherwise, it's like youre ripping each and every one of us off a little. The reason it's illegal is because it's wrong, OK?

Agree, we are here to help each other with the car but not the way MarineTL wants us to...
Here take the hit now and BUY the car next time if you are gonna drive that much...
Old 05-17-2001, 08:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Acura3200:
I know if I was going to do something illegal I would definitely post it on the internet where everyone can read it.

Good thinking...

Ha Ha Ha Ha........

Try this Marine. "I have a friend who...."
Old 05-17-2001, 08:04 PM

Id be skeptical of anyone who posts that in an open forum. I dunno.
Old 05-17-2001, 08:31 PM
Original Member #81

Like maybe some type of LAW ENFORCEMENT

------------------
Comptech exhaust
Ground Control coilovers
custom 3" air intake
Wings West front air dam
18x7.5 Alstadts w/ 53mm offset
225/40/18 Kumho Ecsta Supras
Plastic on grill color matched
Razo shift knob
153mph Top Speed

194.8hp @ the wheels
Old 05-17-2001, 08:46 PM

Guys he is trying to show us something! Why don't you check his post one more time. Besides even if we did give him this info you really couldn't get in any trouble because, you are just displaying public knowledge legal or not?
Check this guy out, it looks pretty cool, but too pricey, I will have the balls to spill the easiest and cheapest way: just switch the cluster with another crashed one with less miles.

------------------
2000 3.2TL[*]AEM CAI[*]COMPTECH SPRINGS[*]COMPTECH HEADER[*]CUSTOM BOXTER EXHAUST [*]18" GIOVANNA BOLZANOS (OFF IN ONE WEEK)[*]19" DRONELL TYPE II IN THE MAIL[*]WOOD DASH KIT[*]TLS TAILIGHTS[*]WW KIT,MUGEN SPOILER,
CUSTOM GRILLE [*]ICED WITH AUDIOBAHN,
JL, PANASONIC, DVD, PS2.[*]AEM FRONT/REAR BIG BRAKE KIT WILL BE INSTALLED TOMORROW
Old 05-17-2001, 09:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

My car is leased and so far I'm WAY over the allowed mileage. My lease is scheduled to end in Dec.'02 and I already have 29k miles. The lease was for 36k. I really don't want to pay the $0.30 a mile, because it's going to add up to some serious money.

So my question is, how can I take back a few miles from my odometer? I know the legal issues involved so there is no need to lecture me. There is one site that seemed to offer what I want, but I'm not sure - www.vauxtronic.com.

If anyone has any experience with this problem please comment.

i dont think it would be worth the trouble and the risk of being caught

try removing the fuse for the dash. doubt that would work

i wonder if buying a new dash would work. its probably all stored in the computer

that site looks pretty convincing. think twice before you do anything
Old 05-17-2001, 10:12 PM
Pro

just buy that vauxtronic thing and tell us if it works.
Old 05-17-2001, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Exclamation

Put your car on a couple jacks, pop your car in reverse, and hit the gas like they did in Ferris Buelers Day Off.
Old 05-18-2001, 12:42 AM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by ArN 2000 TL:
I'd be damned if i till you....first off you are stupid enough to post this in an open forum and expect someone to tell u? Please....just live with it...if you can afford the car then u can afford an extra .30 a mile. How about buying it? Then you won't have to worry about it.

If you think you are only fooling the dealer with the miles you are dead wrong. Most cars these days contain internal systems for keeping track of the miles and even the amount of hours the car has been on...kinda like watercraft (my fathers 00' tahoe has an hour log). What about the guy who buys the car after you once you turn it in? Thinking he has 40k on the car yet its really like 60k? If the dealer doesn't figure out your scam the first time they might the second time and it can hurt someone else....

THink about it!
Why don't you guys just relax? ArN 2000 TL he is only talking about at the most five thousand miles not 20. Just chill. Good god you all need to relax.

Old 05-18-2001, 07:59 AM
Instructor

Each year when you register you have to disclose the mileage, and the dealer records your mileage each time you go in for service. So if you were to roll the mileage back, if you go to far, they will know immediatly. Lets say your dealer changed your oil 3000 miles ago, that would be about as far as you could roll it back, and then they would wonder why you only drove 10 miles in the last 3 months.. It is was easier to just pay the Mileage charge.

I leased a 97 Camry years ago, and put 60,000 on a 36,000 mile lease, I paid Toyota the .10 a mile extra. That is the cost of doing business. I thought about all the ways to get out if it, but in the end figured it wasn't worth the risk. I paid just over $2000 and that was a lot better than paying a fine.

------------------
Old 05-18-2001, 08:38 AM
Racer

Smile

Originally posted by UTChE96:
Put your car on a couple jacks, pop your car in reverse, and hit the gas like they did in Ferris Buelers Day Off.
That's what I was thinking.

Why is the Toyota $0.10/mile and the Acura $0.30/mile?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by andrews32 on May 18, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-18-2001, 09:00 AM
Pro

Originally posted by UTChE96:
If you recall, in the movie it didn't work.

You should project out how much money you would spend for the extra miles and then use it to buy a bike.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by SC TL on May 18, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-18-2001, 09:19 AM
Instructor

Talking

If you recall, in the movie it didn't work.
Don't bother me with details. I am just trying to help this guy out.
Old 05-18-2001, 09:31 AM
Instructor

That was what my Toyota Lease stipulated. .10 a mile. I don't know what my Acura Lease is for excess mileage. I should go look at it.

------------------
Old 05-18-2001, 09:48 AM
Intermediate

My lease charges 15 cents per mile. Thats $150 per 1000 miles. At 30 cents per mile you got scr#wed.

A friend of mine had a situation where his speedometer cable "broke" for a few months. I sure hope yours doesn't.

Old 05-18-2001, 06:31 PM
Instructor

assuming you will go over limit by 12k, $3600 is not too bad considering that's equivelent to owning the car for an extra year.
sorry dude, i have no sympathy for you, you should have planned well before signing the lease.
Old 05-19-2001, 03:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a good idea...drive in reverse for the next 12 months..that'll surely lower your mileage
Old 05-19-2001, 04:00 AM
Burning Brakes

MarineTL: So you want to know how to change the odometer?

Knowledge is one thing, the wisdom to know how to use it is another. I would give you the former, but only if I could find a way to give you the latter as well.

------------------
'01 Naples Gold TL with Navi
Interior wood trim kit
Custom aluminum mesh grill
Wings West 2-leg spoiler wing
Solar Gard Titanium Tint 43 all around.
Cuzo Hyperwhite hi beams.
Acura logo tire valve stem caps.
Old 05-21-2001, 05:49 AM
Pro

Cool

Originally posted by khenault:
A friend of mine had a situation where his speedometer cable "broke" for a few months. I sure hope yours doesn't.

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 05-21-2001, 07:54 AM
Original Member #81

Originally posted by khenault:
[BA friend of mine had a situation where his speedometer cable "broke" for a few months. I sure hope yours doesn't.

[/B]

Especially because the dash is all digital.....no speedometer cable

------------------
Comptech exhaust
Ground Control coilovers
custom 3" air intake
Wings West front air dam
Razo shift knob
153mph Top Speed

194.8hp @ the wheels
Old 05-21-2001, 09:37 AM
Instructor

Can't help you here. Pay for the extra miles and move on. Some say it's no big deal to turn the odometer back a bit, but think about it..if you were buying a previously leased vehicle, and the odometer showed 40k miles, you have the expectation that the car indeed has only 40k miles, and that expectation is reflected in the price. It doesn't matter if the damn thing is rolled back 40k or 5k miles, b/c the next person who owns it will have to pay more than he should for the car, which is f**ked up. I mean, how would u feel if you learned that the supposedly new TL that you leased really had 10k miles on it. You'd feel cheated cause your monthly lease payment was for a brand new TL, not one driven for more miles that you'd bargained for.

DA
Old 05-21-2001, 11:19 PM

A while back the speedometer on my tl didn't work. and my odmeter stay the same. I went to the dealer to have them fix but I had to make an appointment about 2 week away. During that 2 week I have to drive and guess my speed cuz the speedometer isn't working!!! Good thing is that my odmeter stayed the same too for 2 week. The dealer ended up replacing the Ecu for my car. Damn I wish I can keep the broken ECU. How did I mess up my ECU? Well I cutted the wire to my Navi Dvd to move it to anoter location and I guess I shorted the VSS wire or somthying
Old 05-22-2001, 02:50 AM
Pro

fry it. Get a pair of jumper cables, hook it up to another car, find the wires to the odometer, and fry it. If that doesn't work, drive it into a lake, swim out, and claim it on your insurance. Jarhead. There is a reason that those of us in the Military call simple instructions Marine Proof...

DrBeatty

BUD/S class 172 - SEAL team 5
NAVSPECWAR Ensign
Old 05-22-2001, 02:11 PM

You guys are being to harsh on him.

Well, I can tell you this, no matter what you do, you cannot do anything!!! The car has two wires going into ECU which record the milage reading. One can be easily removed, the other one is completely hidden. If you disconnect one wire, the second one starts recording the time period it was off for. even if it is a minute.

If you try to go backwards, the milage is still going to go forward and add more to what you have now. DON'T DO THAT.

Try using the car less or use someone else's car. That would be the best way out.

------------------
Custom Grill
PIAA series fog lights
Front lights eyebrows
Cold air intake
Old 05-22-2001, 02:45 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Just get the Vauxtronic and let us know how it works, $500 is far less than what I heard some shops are charging... close to $1000...

...and don't listen to these *****ing and complaining "law abiding" citizens... if I was going over I would've taken the least expensive way out also...

------------------
Who's destined to hang, won't drown...

P.S. Still on best behavior...
Old 05-22-2001, 10:46 PM
Original Member #81

Originally posted by dunyamunya:
The car has two wires going into ECU which record the milage reading. One can be easily removed, the other one is completely hidden. If you disconnect one wire, the second one starts recording the time period it was off for. even if it is a minute.

Where do you get this information? I've asked this to several Dealer mechanics as well as "other" people and they say this is untrue..........
Just curious how we can verify this info

------------------
Comptech exhaust
Ground Control coilovers
custom 3" air intake
Wings West front air dam
Razo shift knob
153mph Top Speed

194.8hp @ the wheels
Old 05-22-2001, 11:34 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Find a TL at the junkyard and try it out...
Old 05-23-2001, 01:04 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm with you, man. I know a mechanic who can just detatch the odometer, but turning it back, im not sure.

------------------
Some Said, "TL Type S," Soon They Will Say, "Wannabe TL-S." Laguna METALLIC, Navi, Side Cuts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1700x Fogs custom cut into side holes, Akimoto Intake, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter, Comptech Sways making me ride on rails...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...026&Auth=false
Old 05-23-2001, 01:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

i saw on NY channel 4 news today that our car's (well at least the 2000 TL) odometer is off by 3%. you should email Acura and tell them about a news story taht you saw featuring the inaccurate odometer of the TL. on the news program, the guy got a $300 credit towards another lease or purchase.

the way he figured out the inaccurateness was by resetting the mileage counter to zero at a road mile marker and then going down the road for the next 20 miles according to the mile markers. what you'll see is that the odometer is not accurate, when compared to the mile markers.
Old 05-23-2001, 09:42 AM

I have some friends who make money by doing this and they tried on TL and it did not work and then they found out that there was a second backup wire. but they still don't know where it is. The dealer will never give you this information. If they would give you this info, why not to disconnect it at the same time?

------------------
Custom Grill
PIAA series fog lights
Front lights eyebrows
Cold air intake