TL factory alarm question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 10:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL factory alarm question

I noticed that once the doors are locked from the remote and the alarm is armed, I can still open the trunk from the remote. My question is, is the trunk unprotected even when the alarm is on? Also, is there a shock sensor or glass breakage senor from the stock alarm? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Factory alarm does not have shock sensor. If you want it, you have to spend $10 and add it in yourself. When you open the trunk with remote, the alarm system disabled the trunk's alarm. When you close the trunk, it re-alarm the trunk. Notice, it only disable the trunk's alarm, the rest of the car is still in alarm state.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:56 PM
Instructor

TL'S come with a Factory alarm??? All i got is a remote that locks and unlocks doors and opens the trunk, o yea and a panic button too.
Old 06-19-2002, 06:21 AM
Cruisin'

If alarm is on and you open the trunk with your remote but if you do not lift open your trunk within 10 seconds you will trigger the alarm when you lift it up after 10 seconds.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:04 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by osofastferu
TL'S come with a Factory alarm??? All i got is a remote that locks and unlocks doors and opens the trunk, o yea and a panic button too.
yea it comes with an alarm... that's what that little red blinking LED that says "security" on the driver's door is for. the alarm is armed when you lock the doors using the remote, or lock the doors using the power door locks and close the door.

it doesn't have a shock sensor, so it only goes off if your doors, hood (i think), and/or trunk are opened without disarming the alarm (it disarms automatically when you unlock your car using your remote or keys).

if you want to make sure you really do have an alarm, then try this... sit inside parked car, lock your car using the remote, and once the LED starts blinking, unlock your door (without using the remote or power door locks) and open your door. presto, you've just tripped that damn annoying alarm...
Old 06-19-2002, 01:06 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by osofastferu
Press your door lock button on the remote once as normal. You will here a click sound indicating doors lock. Press it again and you will hear a low beep sound which indicates alarm armed.
The following users liked this post:
Dot1 (01-27-2023)
Old 06-19-2002, 01:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by 11749
If alarm is on and you open the trunk with your remote but if you do not lift open your trunk within 10 seconds you will trigger the alarm when you lift it up after 10 seconds.
I tried that today and it doesn't go off. Where did you get that info cause I never heard of anything like that.

Old 06-19-2002, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by silver03TL

I tried that today and it doesn't go off. Where did you get that info cause I never heard of anything like that.

One thing to be cautious at this forum...lots of folks are talking out of their a*s so the trick is to distinguish good info from all the bullsh*t.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:44 PM
/etc/car

2001 Acura TL Owner's Manual:

The security system helps to protect your car and valuables from theft. The horn sounds and a combination of headlights, parking lights, side marker lights and taillights flashses if someone attempts to break into your car or remove the radio. This alarm continues for two minutes, then the system resets. To reset an alarming system before the two minutes have elapsed, unlock either front door with the key or the remote transmitter.

The security system sets automatically fifteen seconds after you lock the doors, hood, and trunk. For the system to activate, you must lock the doors from the outside with the key, lock tab, door lock switch, or remote transmitter. The security system light next to the driver's door lock starts blinking immediately to show you the system is setting itself.

Once the security system is set, opening any door (without using the key or the remote transmitter), or the hood, will cause it to alarm. It also alarms if the radio is removed from the dashboard or the wiring is cut.

With the system set, you can still open the trunk with the remote transmitter without triggering the alarm. The alarm will sound if the trunk is opened with the trunk release button on the driver's door, the trunk release handle behind the trunk passthrough cover, or the emergency trunk opener.

The security system will not set if the hood, trunk, or any door is not fully closed. If the system will not set, check the Door and Trunk Open Monitor on the instrument panel (see page 58), to see if the doors and trunk are fully closed. Since it is not part of the monitor display, manually check the hood.

Do not attempt to alter this system or add other devices to it.

Now, it is my belief that hitting the remote twice and making it beep does nothing but stroke your ego and show off to your friends that you have an elite, expensive and alarmed car. The system arms when you lock it (one push on the transmitter).

I do find it handy tho...since my flashers don't blink when I lock it anymore, it's easy to tell if I really locked it.

Plus, I use the beep as a beacon when finding it in the lot...just keep pushing lock, lock, lock
Old 06-19-2002, 03:55 PM
Pro

Originally posted by SwampGas
2001 Acura TL Owner's Manual:

The security system helps to protect your car and valuables from theft. The horn sounds and a combination of headlights, parking lights, side marker lights and taillights flashses if someone attempts to break into your car or remove the radio. This alarm continues for two minutes, then the system resets. To reset an alarming system before the two minutes have elapsed, unlock either front door with the key or the remote transmitter.

The security system sets automatically fifteen seconds after you lock the doors, hood, and trunk. For the system to activate, you must lock the doors from the outside with the key, lock tab, door lock switch, or remote transmitter. The security system light next to the driver's door lock starts blinking immediately to show you the system is setting itself.

Once the security system is set, opening any door (without using the key or the remote transmitter), or the hood, will cause it to alarm. It also alarms if the radio is removed from the dashboard or the wiring is cut.

With the system set, you can still open the trunk with the remote transmitter without triggering the alarm. The alarm will sound if the trunk is opened with the trunk release button on the driver's door, the trunk release handle behind the trunk passthrough cover, or the emergency trunk opener.

The security system will not set if the hood, trunk, or any door is not fully closed. If the system will not set, check the Door and Trunk Open Monitor on the instrument panel (see page 58), to see if the doors and trunk are fully closed. Since it is not part of the monitor display, manually check the hood.

Do not attempt to alter this system or add other devices to it.

Now, it is my belief that hitting the remote twice and making it beep does nothing but stroke your ego and show off to your friends that you have an elite, expensive and alarmed car. The system arms when you lock it (one push on the transmitter).

I do find it handy tho...since my flashers don't blink when I lock it anymore, it's easy to tell if I really locked it.

Plus, I use the beep as a beacon when finding it in the lot...just keep pushing lock, lock, lock
or just press the panic button if you're in a really big parking lot
Old 06-19-2002, 05:14 PM
/etc/car

or just press the panic button if you're in a really big parking lot
I should rip my transmitter apart and unhook the panic button. I always set the stupid thing off by accident...

If anyone bothers me in the parking lot, me screaming with a lisp "DON'T TOUCH ME THERE, MR. SASSY PANTS" will get more attention than a car horn.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:23 AM
Banned

Originally posted by SwampGas
A post from Wayne a while back, service manager at Park Avenue Acura:

The beep on the second push of the button is actually to inform you that you have activated the "auto arm" function. Normally, the doors won't lock or the alarm won't arm unless you push the button or lock the doors. If you push the button twice, you will hear a beep and the auto arm mode will be active. When in this mode, the doors will lock and the alarm will arm about 20 -40 seconds after you close the last door. This won't happen if the car is running or someone is sitting in the drivers seat- so don't worry about locking your keys in the car. To de-activate this mode- just unlock the doors with the key and you will return to normal operation. While in auto-arm mode, you can still use the remote to lock and unlock as usual. This is explained in the owners manual.
If anyone is going to know how this works, he does. In other words, if you press it twice and get the beep, from then on if you just close the door and do nothing, the car will automatically lock and arm itself--you don't have to push any buttons at all. This is the only thing the second beep was designed for. But yes, it also does help in confirming that you did lock the doors.....