Tiptronic/E-Shift mod for TL MOD in progress, NEED HELP! LONG POST!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 11:05 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tiptronic/E-Shift mod for TL MOD in progress, NEED HELP! LONG POST!

Ok guys, a long time ago i talked about adding the E-Shift buttons to the steering wheel, like in the GS400 and IS300. Well, i finally decided to do it! Ill take you through the way this works, then im gunna ask my question that i need some SERIOUS help with.

The shifter in our cars, when moving from park to drive, reverse, neutral blah blah blah physically moves the shift linkage and makes the tranny shift.

Sport shift works differently.

If you pull back the center console, (cupholder and back) by removing the wood trim and removing the 4 screws (2 under the wood, 2 in the console storage compartment under the carpet), there is a wiring harness clipped to the shift gate assembly. 8 wires. 3 black, 3 red, one orange, one yellow.

When you move the shift gate from D5 (or D4 for the 99ers) to sport mode, a simple electronic switch opens a circuit in that harness that tells the computer its now in sport mode. your no longer moving the shift linkage. when you move the shifter to the "+" position, it closes a circuit, same with "-". Its all just electronic switches.

The transmission computer uses 4 of the 8 wires. the 2 black and 2 red next to each other are something else. the single black, the yellow below it, the orange next to the yellow and the red next to the orange are the sport shift circuits.

Heres what i know:

The black is a common ground for the 3 circuits (+,-, and SS mode). the red wire has a small amount of voltage running through it when the car is in D5. when you move the shifter to SS mode, it drops the current (opens the circuit) and waits for you to close either of the 2 other circuits by selecting + or -. yellow is +, orange is -. red is SS mode on/off.

Summary:

Black is the common ground

Red is the SS on/off, when in D5 there is current, when in SS there is no current.

Yellow when shorted to the common ground tells the computer to shift up one gear.

Orange when shorted to the common ground tells the computer to shift down one gear.

If you short yellow or orange when the car is in D5 and current is running through the red wire, you have an INSTANT CEL, TCS, and blinking D5, as this is not supposed to be possible, as you just told the computer to SS shift when its in D5, which isnt supposed to be possible of cource, so the computer freaks out. Duh.

HERES WHERE I NEED HELP:

I need a naturally closed 2-way relay with a coil voltage equal to the current in the red wire when in D5. This way, when you move the shifter to SS mode, it activates the steering wheel buttons. If i dont have a relay, and i accidently hit one of the wheel buttons, instant computer-freak-out.

i misread the voltage on my multimeter and got the wrong relay!!! then i accidently fried my multimeter, so i dont know what relay to get.

I need someone with balls and a multi meter and some electronics expierence to tell me what realy i need. then i can run the lines through the SRS reel and mount the buttons.

This mod will be sweet as holy hell if we can just get that relay!! And it will be easy to install, and very cheap!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

PS. just in case anyone was wondering, it took me 4 hours to figure all this out. and i had to lifr the 2 front wheels off the ground and actually "drive" the car so i could figure out the wiring configuration. Yes, i was doing 50 MPH in my driveway :P
Old 03-10-2004, 07:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow... thats crazy. i cant help you since i have very little knowledge about electronics... but i'd relaly like to see this happen. good luck!
Old 03-10-2004, 07:26 AM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Tiptronic/E-Shift mod for TL MOD in progress, NEED HELP! LONG POST!

Heres what i know:

The black is a common ground for the 3 circuits (+,-, and SS mode). the red wire has a small amount of voltage running through it when the car is in D5. when you move the shifter to SS mode, it drops the current (opens the circuit) and waits for you to close either of the 2 other circuits by selecting + or -. yellow is +, orange is -. red is SS mode on/off.
Why would u need a relay? just tap your new buttons into the current wires. Like you said, the current drops when you shift into SS mode and that will activate all your buttons. Its like moving the current buttons in the shifter up to your steering wheel. If this mod is as easy as u claim, then this should make it even easier. BTW ... what buttons are you planning on using for your steering wheel?

**edit**
Oops, reread ur post again. So are you saying that the SS buttons are still active when you're in D5? If so, then I see what you mean about it being a problem. Usually coils for relays don't needs much current to flip the switch ... I'd say .3 to .5 amps max for the standard bosch relay (dont have part no).
Old 03-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Burning Brakes

The IS300 has the e-shift on the wheel, very awckward to use when making a turn and trying to accelerate at the same time
Old 03-10-2004, 09:49 AM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah i know, some people like it, i personally do not, so ill be placing both of my buttons on the back side of the wheel next to the left airbag bolt cover. this way i wont touch them when turning or holding the wheel in any position.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Burning Brakes

I need someone with balls and a multi meter
Look in the mirror.....Dude !!! You're crazy ! Good luck with it.