Tint removal from rear windshield

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tint removal from rear windshield

I had a 1991 Acura Legend nearly 10 years and before I sold it I had the tint removed from the rear windshield. Of course it was also 10 years old, bubbling, and peeling off in several places. To remove it a guy had to scrape it with a razor. This ruined to rear defroster. I plan on keeping my TL at least five years and I am hesitant to do any tinting for this very reason. Are there any other ways to remove tint like this without using a razor?
Old 08-21-2001, 02:24 PM
yee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
make sure you get high quality tint paper (ie.. 3M)...when you want to remove it, just take one corner and you can peel the whole thing off in one piece
Old 08-21-2001, 02:43 PM
Racer

I have paid extra $ in other cars with tint as an insurance policy if they screw up the rear defroster. Tint companies don't typically guarantee the defroster will work after they take it off. I have tried to do it myself and wrecked the defroster where it was not working. It's even more important with our TL-S's because of the radio antennae. Have someone guarantee it by paying extra $, it is well worth it. If they screw it up they will pay to have the defroster replaced. However, it may be another story if there is a GPS and radio antennae in there.
Old 08-21-2001, 07:57 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simple, don't tint the rear windshield. I have not tinted a back windshield ever since the rear tint on my Supra had to be replaced and the rear defroster was then kaput. I don't care what any tint dealer or individual says, if you have to remove the tint on a rear windshield odds are you can kiss the rear windshield defroster bye-bye.
Old 08-21-2001, 08:35 PM
Moo
Pro

wow...now I'm scared
Old 08-21-2001, 08:49 PM
yee
Burning Brakes

honestly...as long as you use 3M...it even comes with warrenty.
Old 08-21-2001, 08:58 PM
Instructor

I have tinted cars for over fifteen years and there is no such thing as tint that will last forever. Here is alittle trick we use in the business to remove old film from rear windows. We use simple green along with a black trash bag. Soak the rear window with SG and then apply the trash bag to the window on the inside using the wet simple green to stick it to the glass. Park the car in some direct sunlight and let it sit for 2 hours. When you remove the trash bag the tint will be stuck to it rather than to the glass....
It really works great!!!! Remember had you not tinted your car the interior would of taken the beating instead of the tint. for the cost of 100-150 dollars it is well worth re tinting your car every 5 or so years................... good luck!
Old 08-21-2001, 09:25 PM
Pro

Cool

Here's a good tip - forget about the tint!
Old 08-21-2001, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by lonny
Here's a good tip - forget about the tint!
Maybe in Cali, but here in the Dirty South you need tint to survive the summer and to keep your interior from being destroyed......
peace
Old 08-21-2001, 11:56 PM
Instructor

yeah, i have small bubbles in my back window and i'm afraid to take it off, so i'm just leaving it.... for now, will the small bubbles turn to big bubbles? and how soon?

and um, it get pretty freaking hot in so cal. a 90-95 degree day like today was a cool day.
Old 10-02-2001, 09:58 AM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

I need to remove my tint from the windows since I didn't pass state inspection (I got tagged at 31% and 40% is the minimum).

What's the best way to remove the tint from the front windows since if the windows are rolled up you can't get to the top part where tint actually starts.

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated for removing the tint as well as the leftover adhesive once the tint is gone.

Can I use the Simple Green/black plastic bag trick for the front windows?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I have until 10/21 to get my care fixed and re-inspected.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:03 AM
No, you are a dork.

Is there something wrong with your Air Conditioning that you have to go and mess up an already beautiful car with tint?
Old 10-02-2001, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by daryl.com
Is there something wrong with your Air Conditioning that you have to go and mess up an already beautiful car with tint?
LOL, come down to Lafayette or Houston for one weekend in the heat of the of summer and tell me that!

100% humidity with 90 degree temps and a heat index in the 110's!!! Even with sun shades on the front window and your windows cracked (which is risky because of the common afternoon T-Storms we get) your car is still 140+ degrees after sitting in the sun for a few hours.

Unless you have a garage home and covered parking at work, tint is a MUST!
Old 10-02-2001, 05:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by BNut
Any tips or tricks would be appreciated for removing the tint as well as the leftover adhesive once the tint is gone.

Can I use the Simple Green/black plastic bag trick for the front windows?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I have until 10/21 to get my care fixed and re-inspected.
Call me naive, but how does the black plastic bag come into play? I can see the Simple Green part, but not the plastic bag...

As far as removing the adhesive--Simple Green, Goo Gone or similar stuff, along with some steel wool and a little elbow grease should do the trick (and no, steel wool will not scratch your windows--at least the steel wool that we used to remove my rear window tint didn't scratch the glass)...

Tony
Old 10-02-2001, 06:44 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by tdoh

Call me naive, but how does the black plastic bag come into play? I can see the Simple Green part, but not the plastic bag...

As far as removing the adhesive--Simple Green, Goo Gone or similar stuff, along with some steel wool and a little elbow grease should do the trick (and no, steel wool will not scratch your windows--at least the steel wool that we used to remove my rear window tint didn't scratch the glass)...

Tony
Great Question!! Not naive at all,

You already understand the simple green aspect... If you spray down a window with tint on it using sg and were to put it in the sun the sg would be dried out in a minute or so.... the bag keeps it wet between the film and the bag.. window films are micro -porous and in an a hour or two the sg has soaked through the film and has softened the glue... it's a great technique and makes the job relatively easy!
Old 10-02-2001, 08:54 PM
Racer

Here's something that might help too:

http://www.tintdude.com/remove.html

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2001, 11:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by RHINO928

Great Question!! Not naive at all,

You already understand the simple green aspect... If you spray down a window with tint on it using sg and were to put it in the sun the sg would be dried out in a minute or so.... the bag keeps it wet between the film and the bag.. window films are micro -porous and in an a hour or two the sg has soaked through the film and has softened the glue... it's a great technique and makes the job relatively easy!
Ah, got it! Osmosis...

Tony
Old 10-06-2001, 01:31 PM

Big thanks to everyone!

Well as luck would have it, this Sat was in the high 50's to low 60's with NO sunshine!

I used the simple green and plastic bag anyway hoping it would at least loosen up the adhesive.

I must say that Llumar tint kicks azz! Both front windows came off in one piece! I of course have some adhesive to clean off my windows but it only took me about 45 minutes per window.

The trick is finding a corner where you can start peeling from since this make it much easier to peel off.

Now to get my car re-inspected.

Is it worth the risk of getting another illegal tint up front? If I can't find a shop that doesn't check the tint I'll have to go through this every year... argh!