Tint Installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Need a WHAmbulance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tint Installation questions

I am thinking about getting tint put on my car. Just a couple of questions.

1. When they put on your tint did it go all the way to the top on roll up windows? The tint shop told me they do it this way to keep from peeling. I am questioning this .

2. Is your rear window one piece? Again they told me they do it in two pieces because of the size :smackhead .
Old 05-11-2004, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Yeah, they go pretty close to the top of the window's edge, maybe a 1/4 to 1/8 inch below. The reason that guy gave you sounds lagit to me - I just figured that's why they did it when I got my first car done. If you think about it, it makes sense.

2. My TL was tinted when I bought it, but my last car, I did get tinted and it had a pretty large rear window. The shop I went to did it with one piece, but I've had friends who had to get it done in two. It really comes down to the shop on this one. If the guys are any good, you'll wont be able to find the seem. If they suck, well....

Ask around and see if you can find someone who had their window done in two pieces by them. Otherwise, it may be better to just find another shop.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:07 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I got mine done at LA Tint. They went almost all the way to the top of my roll up windows ... So thats probably true. However, they did a one piece rear. In fact they advertise that they can pretty much always do a one piece rear. I would be cautious if you weren't getting a one piece.

Also, because of the dot matrix on rear windshield you need a good installer to be able to tint over the dot matrix. Some people have done crazy stuff like sand down the dot matrix (a little extreme and probably overkill), and some people have used glue to get the tint to adhere to the dot matrix ... My tint installer didn't have any problems with the dot matrix, and others had recommended him because he did such a good job on the dot matrix. There are some hints of fluid left in the tint because of the way the dot matrix was done but you can't really tell unless you're on top of the window ... Overall they did a great job (www.latint is their website, but I don't know if they have installers out by you).
Old 05-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LiQiCE
I got mine done at LA Tint. They went almost all the way to the top of my roll up windows ... So thats probably true. However, they did a one piece rear. In fact they advertise that they can pretty much always do a one piece rear. I would be cautious if you weren't getting a one piece.

Also, because of the dot matrix on rear windshield you need a good installer to be able to tint over the dot matrix. Some people have done crazy stuff like sand down the dot matrix (a little extreme and probably overkill), and some people have used glue to get the tint to adhere to the dot matrix ... My tint installer didn't have any problems with the dot matrix, and others had recommended him because he did such a good job on the dot matrix. There are some hints of fluid left in the tint because of the way the dot matrix was done but you can't really tell unless you're on top of the window ... Overall they did a great job (www.latint is their website, but I don't know if they have installers out by you).

LA Tint is exactly where I got my last car done. They're good guys that do great work.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Advanced

On my old accord (00') they blacked out the matrix area with a solid peice of black vinyl. It looked ok - better than a bad job of trying to tint over it with air bubbles. I like the black.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The tint on my windows actually goes all the way up to the edge of the windows. The tint has glue on the side of the glass so, it will sitck really good to the glass. When the tint guy installed the tint on my TLS, he told me not to roll down the windows for 72 hours so that the glue can cure and the tint will stick to the windows.

Cheers !!!
Old 05-11-2004, 05:38 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

1. As others have said most tinters will go within a 1/4 inch of the edge. Yet I have seen some really good tinters take it to the edge and shave it for a factory look.

2. I have a 03 TL-S and they did it in one piece with some of it over the first inch or so of the matrix. I would of had them vinyl over the rest but it looks fine.

Remember good brand of film and a really good tinter are worth the money!
Old 05-11-2004, 05:42 PM
Instructor

Yeah, a good shop will tint it right up to the edge and use a shaved "micro" edge, or whatever they call it, and any decent shop should do the rear window with 1 piece.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:19 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Dare_IL
I am thinking about getting tint put on my car. Just a couple of questions.

1. When they put on your tint did it go all the way to the top on roll up windows? The tint shop told me they do it this way to keep from peeling. I am questioning this .

2. Is your rear window one piece? Again they told me they do it in two pieces because of the size :smackhead .

Dare_IL

Doesn't sound like they are a good tint shop.

They should tint all the way to the top of the window. The rear window should all be one piece.

I have 35% Llumar tint all around. The shop I used tinted the back up to but did not include the dots. Looks great, you can't tell the tint ends at the dot line.

Here are a couple of shops in Illinois. This is suppose to be one of the best.
SHADED DAYS OF LAKE BLUFF
28835 N HERKY DR, LAKE BLUFF, IL 60044
Phone: (847) 816-8468

I had my wife's van tinted at:
A PERFECTION WINDOW FILMS
1572 W OGDEN AVE, NAPERVILLE, IL 60540
Phone: (630) 355-6461

They did a good job and tinted all the way to the top of the window, which was one of my requirements.

Good Luck....
Old 05-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Need a WHAmbulance

Thanks everyone for your replies. Now I have some information to proceed with. I hadn't thought about the dots until it was mentioned.

I will call around to some tint places and see what answers I get to these questions.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:13 PM
Need a WHAmbulance

Originally Posted by dj5
I have 35% Llumar tint all around. The shop I used tinted the back up to but did not include the dots. Looks great, you can't tell the tint ends at the dot line.
Do you have your front windows tinted also? I know there is no % of light limit on anything behind the driver, but I thought it was illegal to have front windows tinted.

If you do, do the cops harrass you for having them tinted?
Old 05-11-2004, 10:16 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My dot-matrix ain't too bad..and the shop I got it done at, they did a better job on my '99 than on my '03. I had all 7 windows tinted for $180+lifetime warranty at a small tint shop located about 15 minutes away from my house.

Into Graphix
(847) 797-8667

..ask for John. Then proceed to tell him that you need to get your car tinted, and he'll gladly give you directions to his shop. He's currently not working as he just had a kid but his buddy is still working at the shop.

20% Front/Rear Windows - 5% Rear Windshield

Old 05-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
mine is all the way on the roll up windows, and the rear is one piece, and it covers the dot matrix and it doesnt look all goofy. looks great
Old 05-12-2004, 08:51 AM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dare_IL
Do you have your front windows tinted also? I know there is no % of light limit on anything behind the driver, but I thought it was illegal to have front windows tinted.

If you do, do the cops harrass you for having them tinted?

My car is tinted with 35% all arround (including the front windows). With 35% the police will not bother you.

If I had it to do over again, I would do 35% on all side windows and 20% on the rear glass. I still would not tint over the dots.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dj5
My car is tinted with 35% all arround (including the front windows). With 35% the police will not bother you.

If I had it to do over again, I would do 35% on all side windows and 20% on the rear glass. I still would not tint over the dots.
Does the 35% on your front windshield look like the ones found on the Caddilac Catera and some MB S-series? I was thinking about tinting my front windshield..but I already got hassled enough for my tints as is.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:48 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by `ill*tl
Does the 35% on your front windshield look like the ones found on the Caddilac Catera and some MB S-series? I was thinking about tinting my front windshield..but I already got hassled enough for my tints as is.
I have 35% tint on all the side windows. I don't have any tint on the front windsheild. If I were to tint the front I would use a 50% tint.