AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   Timing belt time on the 03 TL-S (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/timing-belt-time-03-tl-s-945635/)

GraveDigger 05-20-2016 09:39 AM

Timing belt time on the 03 TL-S

Decided I'm going to tackle the timing belt within the next couple weeks. This site has been far better than any manual and after replacing motor mounts, transmission (AV6), brakes, and now the timing belt, I cant thank you guys enough for the support. With that being said, I am about to order my parts through RockAuto but I wanted to see if I'm missing any thing.

AISIN TKH001 INCLUDES WATER PUMP
AISIN BTH002 (Belt Tensioner)

Im debating about ordering the AC Belt and PC Belt from the dealership as well as fluids because I know how finicky Acuras/ Hondas are to non OEM products. Also I read about issues with PS pump squealing after replacing the timing belt. Would it be a good idea to replace the PS O-ring just in case?

I used the post below as a guide to what I need. It looks like the Idler and Adjuster Pulley are a optional part? I'm at 107500 as far as mileage is concerned. Thanks again for all the inputs!:toocool:
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...g-belt-695821/

SuperGreg 05-20-2016 03:29 PM

If you're in there, there's really no reason not to replace the pulleys unless you're cheap. Get some quality belts but they don't have to be OEM. Just be sure to adjust the PS belt correctly - too tight and you will ruin the pump. The belt should deflect about 1/2" when you push on it in the center with two fingers. If you go too loose you can always tighten it up if it's slipping.

Also, be prepared for the crankshaft pulley bolt to be very stubborn. A large breaker bar or strong impact wrench might be needed. Good luck!

johnson-rod 05-21-2016 01:47 PM

The crankshaft pulley is directly connected to the center of the earth. You will need the special tool to hold the pulley while you work on the bolt. The tool was about $25.00 at the local parts place. To get the bolt out I used a breaker bar with an old motorcycle fork giving a total of 4 foot of leverage. I still had to jump up and down on it to get it's attention. That's the only thing hard about this job. Good luck!

GraveDigger 05-31-2016 04:42 PM

Completed the timing belt job. I will say that even after reading all the guides and various videos on youtube, this was still a difficult job due to the lack of clearance. It was a long day. The crank bolt broke off a socket and an extension. With the help of a breaker bar with extension of 6 ft, I was able break the crank bolt loose. If there is one thing I can say when it comes to Hondas in general, is that most everything has a certain order in disassembling and reassembling and when you skip a step or two, you have to go back and take everything apart. Also did anyone have trouble pulling the pin off the tensioner?

johnson-rod 05-31-2016 06:42 PM

Yes. The tensioner pin is stubborn.

BTW, the clearance to change a timing belt on a PT Cruiser is about 3/4". The Acura is a walk in the park.

Karanx7 06-01-2016 12:35 PM

If anyone is doing this in the future, just use the starter method for the crank bolt.

Will crack it quick and easy with no damage.

SuperGreg 06-02-2016 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Karanx7 (Post 15766603)
If anyone is doing this in the future, just use the starter method for the crank bolt.

Will crack it quick and easy with no damage.

I don't know, many people have tried that and failed.

Karanx7 06-02-2016 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by SuperGreg (Post 15767537)
I don't know, many people have tried that and failed.

Failed? Like the starter didn't crack the bolt? I don't see how it could fail.

Skirmich 06-02-2016 07:53 PM

^ I believe its because the breaker bar will fell if its not sited properly.. Happened to me at least twice.

SuperGreg 06-03-2016 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Karanx7 (Post 15768039)
Failed? Like the starter didn't crack the bolt? I don't see how it could fail.

Yes, the starter won't break the bolt. I personally know someone who tried on a J35 and he is a BMW mechanic - the breaker bar just ended up getting wedged hard. He broke an extension as well before finally getting the bolt off.