tie rod end boot

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 08:59 PM
B93P TL Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
tie rod end boot

my tie rod end boot is severely busted. looks like all the grease has escaped as a result. should i be concerned? is the tie rod unsafe to be on my car? the steering does feel a bit sloppy.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the boot is busted, and all the grease is coming out, then your CV joint will be unlubricated, soon you will hear noises when turning, andyour steering could wobble. eventually, the slightest bump will cause it to separate or fail either by fracture or fatigue, depending on the magnitude of the impact. Therefore, i would highly recommend replacing it. I had the same problem, so i bought the original boot cover from the dealer, clamps and a boot clamp tool from pep boys or autozone, some wheel grease, SAE-120 will do, and put it back together again; you could also replace the cv joint itself. I did this on my old nissan, i'm certain it will not be any more complicated for the TL.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:29 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mdavisii
my tie rod end boot is severely busted. looks like all the grease has escaped as a result. should i be concerned? is the tie rod unsafe to be on my car? the steering does feel a bit sloppy.
AFAIK, tie rod ends don't have rubber boots filled with grease. You're looking at the wheel end of an axle half shaft. Yes, you should be concerned and should visit the dealer or your local mechanic real soon. Lucky37 described what can happen and what needs fixed. If it's been this way for long, dirt has gotten inside the boot and most likely damaged the CV joint. You can try cleaning things up, repacking the grease and replacing the boot, but odds are you going to have to replace the CV joint. While you're at it, you should check the boot at the other wheel for damage.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:31 PM
B93P TL Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer confirmed the ripped boot on the tie rod end. Mechanic indicated that tie rod end will have to be replaced altogether. Worse case, the remaining lubrication dries out, and the tie rod fails altogether. An equation for increased steering wheel shimmying, and greater tire wear.

The ball joints, and CV joints were checked by the mechanic as well as myself. To my surprise, they are holding up extremely well at 114,000 miles.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mdavisii
Dealer confirmed the ripped boot on the tie rod end. Mechanic indicated that tie rod end will have to be replaced altogether. Worse case, the remaining lubrication dries out, and the tie rod fails altogether. An equation for increased steering wheel shimmying, and greater tire wear.

The ball joints, and CV joints were checked by the mechanic as well as myself. To my surprise, they are holding up extremely well at 114,000 miles.
The tie rod ends on the TL have boots?
Old 02-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VTEC11
The tie rod ends on the TL have boots?
I shoulda checked the Service Manual.

The inboard ends of the tie rods, at the steering rack, have boots.