Ticket on the Belt Parkway in NYC

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 08:42 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticket on the Belt Parkway in NYC

I got caught red handed driving at 74mph on a 50 zone I know its my fault and all but do I have any recourse or just pay the fee? Where can I get those attorneys to fight these cases? I don't mind the $60 fee, but I do want to avoid the points at all cost. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2002, 08:51 AM
Bada Bing

I don't know how it works in the city courts but up here in Westchester you can plead not guilty and go to court...once there in order to speed up the court sessions the courts allow the officers to plea baegain the charges down. Who knows you might get lucky and get a seat belt or a 2 pt. violation like a traffic device.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:07 AM
Ex TL-S owner

Re: Ticket on the Belt Parkway in NYC

Originally posted by Miles
I got caught red handed driving at 74mph on a 50 zone I know its my fault and all but do I have any recourse or just pay the fee? Where can I get those attorneys to fight these cases? I don't mind the $60 fee, but I do want to avoid the points at all cost. Thanks!
I would check the yellow pages if you can't find anyone that could recommend a traffic lawyer. Lawyers are not cheap. I paid $250 for one before to fight a 87 in 65. I paid $250 for that and $120 fine. He went to court w/out me and I just got a parking ticket on the highway. Good luck.

-Ben-
Old 06-25-2002, 09:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Where on the belt parkway was it?
Ed
Old 06-25-2002, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Shoofin'TL
Where on the belt parkway was it?
Ed
On the ticket it saids 150 ST. I believe it is right before exit 17. You know how Belt Parkway goes from exit 14 - 17, that long strip of road, right before the traffic builds up? Well, a cop in a black car just pulled out from the right side. You can definitely see him when you get there, lol, just don't speed. My coworker saw him once before there as well. Ok, I'm gonna get a lawyer for this, hopefully the cop doesn't show up but with my luck ...
Old 06-25-2002, 10:02 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you cant get a lawyer, just plead not guilty and talk to him before the rial. In the mean time, try to find someone that knows someone that can do a favor for you.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:19 AM
BDI
Banned

Re: Ticket on the Belt Parkway in NYC

Hold up................You're payin' 60bucks for 24mph over the speed limit?? I don't think that's rite?? Consider yourself lucky coz it should be way more than that.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:40 AM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Whats really going on here...

Since it clearly seems you were speeding, this is the time to be a stand up guy, plea out and move on with your life... It's really no big deal, chalk it up to experience. We all get tickets.

Or if you would like, you can try and get out of it, tie up the courts and have that cop come back (on overtime no doubt, this is were the systems becomes abused and we have millions in cost overuns within goverment) and attempt to get out of something you actually did.

Especially if you have kids, Monkey See, Monkey do...

On a sadder note, yesterday (6/24/02), the news reported a women was killed while walking in the street, she was with her 6 month old son, he is doing fine. The driver fled and still being sought, needless to say, the child has no mother.

If caught, should driver continue to try to get away with his crime by working the system?

Like Beretta said, "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time"

Old 06-25-2002, 11:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

On the ticket it saids 150 ST. I believe it is right before exit 17. You know how Belt Parkway goes from exit 14 - 17, that long strip of road, right before the traffic builds up? Well, a cop in a black car just pulled out from the right side. You can definitely see him when you get there, lol, just don't speed. My coworker saw him once before there as well. Ok, I'm gonna get a lawyer for this, hopefully the cop doesn't show up but with my luck ...

Oh sh!t !! That must be the cop who I passed this morning. I completely lucked out today when I was driving to work on the Cross Island & Belt Parkway around 7:30AM. I just came up on traffic doing 80MPH and had to slow down. As soon as I slowed down, I saw the black Crown Vic on the side with the cop pointing at me "Oh FVCK!!!" he got me.....so I thought. He never came after me:p

You got pulled over around JFK right(150st)?

I need to start using my V-1:o
Old 06-25-2002, 11:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ahh yes....good luck with that one. You should learn your lesson and never speed there. You can start speeding once you pass the UA going westbound but be careful there is a cop (saw him only once) hiding deep in the shrubs right at the ramp going to Bay Parkway.

Anyway, if you are guilty then plead guilty and pay the fine. If you feel that you are going to pay more insurance than the lawyer then get a lawyer.

I'm currently fighting a ticket where the cop pulled me over and said that I was doing 87 in 50. The thing is that I was doing 55-60 then I slowed down when I saw him between the dividers. About 1 minute later the same car as mine flies by me and I get pulled over for that guy, hence the 87 in 50. My insurance is going to be like whoa if I don't get dismissed. My lawyer charges $450 and I told him I'll double it if he get's me off the hook.

The system is corrupt, but Good Luck
Old 06-25-2002, 01:22 PM
Instructor

hey

email me... whisky11@aol.com
i got a good lawyer who only deals with cases for speeding in new york...
amit
Old 06-25-2002, 01:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

you know what i posted a thread asking for people to list spots where cops hang out n catch speeeders ........well lemme try doin this again or you know what maybe one of you can do it because i didnt get any respose to it ...... what good is it if u post that you got a speeding ticket ...wouldnt it be better to know where they hide and when ? Im gonna start another thread called "" cop spotted "".
Old 06-25-2002, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by TUFF GONG

Oh sh!t !! That must be the cop who I passed this morning. I completely lucked out today when I was driving to work on the Cross Island & Belt Parkway around 7:30AM. I just came up on traffic doing 80MPH and had to slow down. As soon as I slowed down, I saw the black Crown Vic on the side with the cop pointing at me "Oh FVCK!!!" he got me.....so I thought. He never came after me:p

You got pulled over around JFK right(150st)?

I need to start using my V-1:o
BINGO! My coworker passed by him as well and he was speeding but slowed down when he saw him. Its my bad luck, what can I say.

Yes, I admit I was speeding but I assure you that it was clear and it is on a highway, so there are no people walking. I only endanger my life, not others. I'll never speed in that area again! I'd be lying if I tell ya I will NEVER speed Like I said, I don't mind paying for it, I just don't want the points. Thanks for all your responses.

whisky112, I sent you an email ^_~
Old 06-25-2002, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by NsX Pilot
you know what i posted a thread asking for people to list spots where cops hang out n catch speeeders ........well lemme try doin this again or you know what maybe one of you can do it because i didnt get any respose to it ...... what good is it if u post that you got a speeding ticket ...wouldnt it be better to know where they hide and when ? Im gonna start another thread called "" cop spotted "".
Try www.speedtrap.org. It's been around the longest so it has the most number of listings....
Old 06-25-2002, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Re: Whats really going on here...

Originally posted by Vffr1
... Like Beretta said, "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time."
LOL! You were doing good until you wrote that quote! I'm laughing because "Baretta" is in jail on a murder charge. I guess he should have taken his own advice!

V.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:10 PM
Ex-Mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont like to speed on the Belt. I got pulled over 2 times for speeding and lost my license. The only place you can speed without worrying too much is going west between Knapp Street and Coney Island Ave.

BTW, I wouldn't even bother trying to fight it. The judges in the Brooklyn DMV are mean as hell.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by pianoman41

Try www.speedtrap.org. It's been around the longest so it has the most number of listings....
thanks man ......at least someone reads what i write
Old 06-25-2002, 10:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally posted by 96TL

BTW, I wouldn't even bother trying to fight it. The judges in the Brooklyn DMV are mean as hell.
I beat the system twice...Knock knock..
Ed
Old 06-25-2002, 10:19 PM
Racer

Almost as bad as 95

That stretch of the Belt is like a State Trooper's wet dream. The strip between 11N (near the Amoco station) and the Sheepshead Bay UA is the perfect speed trap. It is just so tempting for drivers to gun it once you get over that draw bridge, but never fail, there is always a fuzz bug waitin for your ass.
I do that stretch almost every day from the bronx to Brooklyn and I always see a cop there. Just like the cop which hides out in New Rochelle on 95 on the turn around. Coming south, people always fly around the bend just to get caught by the troopers which hang out there.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:19 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just for a goof.......do you know the name of the officer that wrote the ticket?
Old 06-26-2002, 11:36 AM
10th Gear

The unmarked cars on the belt are usually highway patrol. They are real anal. They will show up in court 99% of the time and they take good notes. If you're going to court be prepared and get a lawyer. Try to bring it down to a fine only, no points.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:14 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by ArN 2000 TL
Just for a goof.......do you know the name of the officer that wrote the ticket?
P.O Smitea? thats the most I can get out of his signature. Other then that, his handwriting is pretty neat I must say, lol. He is a pretty big black guy and I guess he was ok, he wasn't being an ******* or anything and for the first time, a cop told me to get out of my car and look at the radar, bang 74! Honestly, I got lucky, on a regular day with no traffic, I hit 80+ on that stretch for a year and a half now, never thought I would get caught, lol. Well, I try not to go over 70 now, but you know how our car is screaming to go faster!

So does anyone know how many points will be taken off for doing 74 in a 50 zone, which is 24 mph above speed limit? Where's the dude who told me to email him, he/she never responded Still, deciding if I should fight it. My insurance is pretty high as it is, however it did drop significantly since I turned 25 last year, don't want it to go sky high again just for this. Thanks again everyone
Old 06-27-2002, 11:25 AM
Bada Bing

So does anyone know how many points will be taken off for doing 74 in a 50 zone, which is 24 mph above speed limit?
You're looking at some serious points. I think it's 2pts for up to 10 mph over, 4pts for btw 10-20mph over and 6 pts for btw 20-30mph and revokation/arrest for anything over 30mph...plead not guilty and waste the day going to court. Worst case is they don't plea bargain it down & you wasted the day, best case is they plea bargain it down. I don't know about you but to me it's worth the wasted day.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:17 PM
4th Gear

24 mph over is 6 points
Old 06-28-2002, 06:30 AM
Advanced

stay away from the clearview expressway...it's a speedtrap
Old 06-28-2002, 10:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

If you only pay the fine and the court doesn't give you any points, does the insurance company find out???

In my case I don't care about the fee or if my license gets suspended, all I care about is the insurance not finding out.

Fight the ticket, see if you can talk to the cop about plea bargain before he walks into the court. Example:

A family member was caught upstate although the cop was an a** about the ticket (added 10 more miles -- 81mph). He was going 71 and P8500 went off (and he saw the cop on a hill) so he slowed down. 2 miles later cop caught up and said that he was doing 81 in 65. Yesterday him and the cop plea bargained and the cop said, that he will give him a stop sign ticket (that's 2 points, will be off the record in 11 months) and the insurance won't know about it. The only thing my family member had with him was a copy of a clean record, no lawyer.

Fight it, maybe you'll get a plea bargain too, oh and grab a lawyer if you can.