Throttle Sticks, Hit the gas and car lunges...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 01:30 AM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Throttle Sticks, Hit the gas and car lunges...

I can't seem to find this using the search function - is that function still down?

Anyway, I have a sticky throttle. Ever time I press down on the gas, the car seems to stay put and then lunge forward. I have tried to clean the throttle cable, sprayed the throttle from within the intake (air filter removed), and seafoamed. The problem still persists. Any ideas? I want my smooth throttle feel again....
Old 08-30-2008, 04:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
How did you clean the throttle cable?
Remove the plastic engine cover- 4 bolts
Then can remove cable from the bracket just before the throttle assembly,
Hold cable up- spray deep creep or wd or silicone spray into cable housing- work cable back and forth- spray more- hold cable UP so lube flows into it better

CLEAN with carb spray or Deep Creep--- the springs and mechanism of the throttle and cruise control - lube the cruise cable same as throttle
Rotate assembly and spray more deep creep- its an excellent lube for this area!
Spray more carb clean or DC into the air filter snout `towards the engine`-
with engine running at idle, and with rpm up at 1500-2000 spray more- that will get the throttle plates edges clean

Give those things a check- and lube the return spring and pedal attachment inside the car
Old 08-30-2008, 04:19 AM
Team Owner

Have you checked the Tranny Failure thread for detaisl on symptoms?
Lunging forward- does it rev up then grab?
try this:
If you are cruising at 25 and 35 light throttle, stand on the gas and it should do a positive downshift into 2nd and launch without revving up/slipping of the clutches-
it just hooks up and goes!!!

Is there a long time delay from N to D5 before you feel it engage and be ready to go forward? more than the usual 1 second or so?
Old 08-30-2008, 04:27 AM
Team Owner

you have been here long enough to know the special court ordered extended trans warranty- but for the noobs to the TL and forum

call acura and register as owner of the car, by VIN- 1 800-382-2238 x5
ask for the first date in service- thats the day they started counting for warranty length.
ask if the RECALL for oil sprayer was done- if not, get to the dealer ASAP
see details of that elsewhere, 03s out of vin range especially- this can be your path to a free trans if damage is there from low oil flow

TRANSMISSION Warranty for gen2, 1999 thru part of 2003 production, IS
7 years PLUS 9 months from first date, or 109k miles - and 114.5 k mile for cars with VIN in odometer court case- (whichever limit time/miles occurs first,
plus there is Goodwill Coverage from Acura for those over limits
Old 08-30-2008, 07:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Search is working, just not well yet.

As for your problem, dont spray the TB down, Take the rubber tube off the TB, manually open it and clean it with cleaner and a cheap/old toothbrush . It sounds like there is still buildup by the throttle plate causing it.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:31 AM
What your problem is?

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
How did you clean the throttle cable?
Remove the plastic engine cover- 4 bolts
Then can remove cable from the bracket just before the throttle assembly,
Hold cable up- spray deep creep or wd or silicone spray into cable housing- work cable back and forth- spray more- hold cable UP so lube flows into it better

CLEAN with carb spray or Deep Creep--- the springs and mechanism of the throttle and cruise control - lube the cruise cable same as throttle
Rotate assembly and spray more deep creep- its an excellent lube for this area!
Spray more carb clean or DC into the air filter snout `towards the engine`-
with engine running at idle, and with rpm up at 1500-2000 spray more- that will get the throttle plates edges clean

Give those things a check- and lube the return spring and pedal attachment inside the car
This is how I cleaned the throttle plates... I sprayed the cable down with some throttle cleaner... I also sprayed into the air filter snout (toward the engine) with the engine running... freaking check engine light came on... I did this last night while seafoamed again...

Have you checked the Tranny Failure thread for detaisl on symptoms?
Lunging forward- does it rev up then grab?
try this:
If you are cruising at 25 and 35 light throttle, stand on the gas and it should do a positive downshift into 2nd and launch without revving up/slipping of the clutches-
it just hooks up and goes!!!

Is there a long time delay from N to D5 before you feel it engage and be ready to go forward? more than the usual 1 second or so?
No delay.... I had the tranny replaced already... (you also helped me there in that thread...

you have been here long enough to know the special court ordered extended trans warranty- but for the noobs to the TL and forum

call acura and register as owner of the car, by VIN- 1 800-382-2238 x5
ask for the first date in service- thats the day they started counting for warranty length.
ask if the RECALL for oil sprayer was done- if not, get to the dealer ASAP
see details of that elsewhere, 03s out of vin range especially- this can be your path to a free trans if damage is there from low oil flow

TRANSMISSION Warranty for gen2, 1999 thru part of 2003 production, IS
7 years PLUS 9 months from first date, or 109k miles - and 114.5 k mile for cars with VIN in odometer court case- (whichever limit time/miles occurs first,
plus there is Goodwill Coverage from Acura for those over limits
been there, done that...
Old 08-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Team Owner

ahh you used CLEANER not LUBE on the throttle cable? Its metal inside a shroud
and needs a light oily film to operate smoothly- I would redo that job- then make sure the freeplay in the cable is correct after you put it back together
If there is too much or too l;ittle slack it will cause problems and change the pedal feel
but LUBE the cable and proceed
Deep Creep is an excellent thing for this job- its made of light oils!!

Some things I write for future readers who havent got the info on trans warranty or whatever.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Team Owner

CEL more likely from Seafoam and not enough heat or rpm to blow loosened crud out afterwards- 4000 rpm 2nd geear 10 minutes with bumps to 5000 and then back down

Should self clear CEL when you have done a days driving and the O2 sensor is clean again

If its the first time cleaning the TB plate or you have odd problems-
do as Kris says--- and remove the air filter box top and rubber snout- get direct access to the TB plate and pivot pin.
I guess mine was pretty clean since just spraying Deep Creep on the plate and then running engine while spraying more-- got it looking good, better go check and see how it is now. The smog control pumps nasty stuff from valve cover right to TB plate and into engine for reburning- causing the problem!!
Old 08-31-2008, 12:09 PM
What your problem is?

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Search is working, just not well yet.

As for your problem, dont spray the TB down, Take the rubber tube off the TB, manually open it and clean it with cleaner and a cheap/old toothbrush . It sounds like there is still buildup by the throttle plate causing it.
Yeah, will do that... I looked at the throttle plate and it looked clean, but I could not see the other side of the bottom part... will just take the bloody thing apart and clean it...

ahh you used CLEANER not LUBE on the throttle cable? Its metal inside a shroud
and needs a light oily film to operate smoothly- I would redo that job- then make sure the freeplay in the cable is correct after you put it back together
If there is too much or too l;ittle slack it will cause problems and change the pedal feel
but LUBE the cable and proceed
Deep Creep is an excellent thing for this job- its made of light oils!!

Some things I write for future readers who havent got the info on trans warranty or whatever.
No problem, going to go and pick up some deep creep and spray the housing and the cables down... hopefully it works...

Thanks, Gentlemen...
Old 08-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Team Owner

Deep Creep is the ticket for cleaning the TB plate and pivot pin too- just spray it on liberally and wait 10 minutes- hit the area with a rag, spray more, and use younger siblings toothbrush ~if needed
To get back side of plate- open throttle by hand on cable assembly or have friend push gas pedal- that opens it directly

There is nothing else inside the TB for you to clean, unless you remove the TB assembly and get to the idle control valve on its bottem side
Ok to spray deep creep slowly at the plate with engien running too - to be sure its all clean thru the throat
Old 08-31-2008, 03:25 PM
Team Owner

Deep Creep the entire throttle spring return mechanism at the TB, cleans and lubes that critcal part- make sure it moves freely without the cables hooked up too
Old 09-27-2008, 09:59 AM
There's no Acura in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how tough are you guys' throttle cables...on a scale of 1 - 10 where 10 is very tough.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Team Owner

do you mean tough to lube and readjust- or the actual tension in the pedal?
Remove the plastic top engine cover and check the linkage for grunge buildup on the spring assembly
If its dirty- spray clean and relube!
The cables should depress under your thumb with a gentle push - about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of play in the cable
Remove the intake rubber snout and have friend push pedal to the floor- make sure the big round plate inside the TB is full open at full throttle
If the cable is loose it wont go full throttle
Too little freeplay and it wont idle down correctly
Old 09-27-2008, 05:12 PM
There's no Acura in

Just the tension in the pedal...guessing it's a direct relationship with the tension in the throttle cable. Since I bought the car used, I don't know how tense it's supposed to feel. I prefer super weak tension if that makes sense....but my '02 TL seems pretty tough which causes me to constantly adjust my foot when I'm trying to maintain my speed. I did the seafoam today so I know how to mess with the throttle from under the hood. But I don't wanna give myself more work if the cable wasn't designed to reach the tension I prefer.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Team Owner

check the cable for crud at the throttle springs and then lube the cable assembly
You should not be fighting the gas pedal~
Old 09-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Team Owner

cruise control works great for maintaining speed- anything over 35 and I use it when possible- saves gas
Old 09-29-2008, 01:29 AM
Instructor

I'm having the same problem as you indoMFP. It only happens from dead stops. Well, maybe it happens when im rolling too, but i probably just don't notice it since it's not jerking from a stop.

I tried using silicone around the pedal but it didn't do anything. I'll try some on the cable and a little on the throttle body to see if that helps.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:07 AM
Team Owner

inside the cable is the critical part as well as the spring assembly at the throttle
Deep Creep or Silicone will work on the cable- best to remove it and hold end up- spray down into housing
The dirty TB plate will cause sticky throttle
An engine in need of seafoam will act that way too
Old 09-29-2008, 09:59 AM
What your problem is?

Originally Posted by cyde7399
I'm having the same problem as you indoMFP. It only happens from dead stops. Well, maybe it happens when im rolling too, but i probably just don't notice it since it's not jerking from a stop.

I tried using silicone around the pedal but it didn't do anything. I'll try some on the cable and a little on the throttle body to see if that helps.
I fixed this issue with some of the advice from the guys here... I went to Walmart and got some Berryman Carb/Throttle Body cleaner (O2 sensor safe). I then removed the top of the air filter housing (so I can see straight into the TB). The car was already warm (as I had just come back from work). I just sprayed this stuff right into the opening... and cleaned it out... then held the throttle open and sprayed more into the opening... scrubbed it down and tried to get it as clean as possible...

After all that, I sprayed some Seam Foam (from a spray bottle, I did not get Deep Creep) into the opening and also the throttle connections... Problem so far has not come back... I am good again...
Old 09-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
anyone got any pictures?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Team Owner

good job indo!
a clean TB plate is a happy TB plate
you can use seafoam in a plastic hand spray bottle and stick a rubber line to the vac port- that will allow you to apply small shots of foam at a time to the vac port- the engine vacuum will turn it into a tornado mist as it leaves the tube and enters the intake manifold-
no worries!!
Spray a `mist setting` on the throttle lingage too for lube

if you remove the throttle cable from its mount- and use the direct stream spray setting to get seafoam into the cable housing--- it it 100 percent hi detergent oils- perfect for this job
Old 09-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Team Owner

fog80 look in any of the DIY seafoam threads for pics