Thought I was ready to pull the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 04:36 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought I was ready to pull the trigger

I need some feedback from people who actually own these cars. I have researched for several weeks, narrowed the search down to 2, a '99 Toyo 4Runner and 2000 3.2TL. I am ready to go for the TL until I found this site and am reading about major issues with trannies and what not. $20G's for a car with 40K miles and known reliability issues! I was sold in part 'cause Honda is behind Acura. What do I need to know before I write the check, or do I even write one for this car? Roll the dice or run like hell?

All info is much appreciated.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
humm... i own a 2001 TL and i like it.... tranny died on me in october, but it was replaced quicky under warranty.... overall i'm happy with my TL, people seem to like it, gives a luxury feel without paying too much.... my sister also had a 98 4runner.... i think it's too small, from the outside it looks nice, but very small interior, also i think it was over priced... nearly 40g's new... since then we got rid of the 4 runner and have a 2001 tahoe LT.... i like that a lot more, bigger, stronger motor, and a 3rd row.... personally i'd go for the TL b/c the only major issue is the tranny, but that's warranted to 100,000 miles or sever years, so if it didn't mess up yet, u still have a while...... maybe u might be lucky and get one that doesn't mess up....
Old 07-22-2003, 06:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own a 2000TL & purchased it brand new on 12/28/99.
ACURA has extended the automatic transmission warranty on all 2000-2002 3.2 TL models & some 2003. This warranty covers the transmission & torque converter for 7yrs or 100,000 miles from the original sale date. It also was extended on the 2001-2002 3.2 CL models as well as some 2003. ACURA says that they are providing the warranty extensinon on the trans because there is a higher than normal number of auto trans in certain vehicles that may have problems due to defects in material or workmanship beyond the normal 4 year 50,000 mile new vehicle limited warranty. But with my time on the forum & the other one that some of us old timers came from. It seems to me that more Type S models are having trans problems. This is not to say the non typs S models do not have the tranny problem. Many 2000 TLs have had no tranny problems at all with high mileage. I have had no major problems yet myself. I have been quite happy with my 2000 3.2TL. The car is over 3 & a half yrs old now & is running almost as good as new. I say that because I would like to get rid of the stock tires that came with the car. But the 2000TL is a great choice.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i agree^ the tl is a great car besides the tranny issue. BUT acura has extended the warranty and is quick to fix the issue, i just had mine replaced at 115,000 miles and acura still covered it.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:42 PM
Instructor

Thanks everyone. Here's what I'm thinking of doing, let me know if you see any pitfalls with this plan. First, Enterprise, a leasing company, has one for sale. And my other choice is to have one of my dealer friends pick one up for me wholesale at their auction. Should I have a problem, warranty related, would an Acura dealer honor that warranty since the car was not purchased from an actual dealer? I would think yes, but I don't want to assume anything, you know how that goes. Enterprise has one now with verifiable serviced miles. Manheim.com, the dealer auction site, I have to look and wait for the right one with right miles and maybe get it for a price that is $2500-3000 less than the dealer. Opinions, comments and insights welcome.

Thanks again, Jeff
Old 07-22-2003, 07:44 PM
Instructor

Forgot to say, I love this forum. Very insightful, knowlegeable people so far, and some very cool rides. If I get this car, I will be a regular here!!
Old 07-22-2003, 07:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
humm, buying back from a rental company doesn't sound too good to me... i kno that a lot of people dog out cars that are rented.. not many older people, but young people like me, it's a must.... sometimes i rent cars to play around in b/c i don't want to mess up my own car.... i kno i kno, kinda childish.... but hey, i'm 19 w/ a 21 ID so i can rent stuff, but when i want to rent a truck to go mud riding in... i have to ask my syster to rent it for me b/c u have to be 25..... but anyways... u never kno what people done to rental cars......
Old 07-22-2003, 08:34 PM
Instructor

The Enterprise car has not been in the 'rental' fleet, it's coming in off a 3 year lease. I agree, I wouldn't buy a car that has been a rental cause of the reasons you mentioned. And, cause I was the same way when I was your age.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Drifting

TL is a great car... dont even worry about the tranny issues.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:36 PM
Racer

Originally posted by jbx35
Thanks everyone. Here's what I'm thinking of doing, let me know if you see any pitfalls with this plan. First, Enterprise, a leasing company, has one for sale. And my other choice is to have one of my dealer friends pick one up for me wholesale at their auction. Should I have a problem, warranty related, would an Acura dealer honor that warranty since the car was not purchased from an actual dealer? I would think yes, but I don't want to assume anything, you know how that goes. Enterprise has one now with verifiable serviced miles. Manheim.com, the dealer auction site, I have to look and wait for the right one with right miles and maybe get it for a price that is $2500-3000 less than the dealer. Opinions, comments and insights welcome.

Thanks again, Jeff
one of the most non-selling point in the 3.2TL is the tranny issue but people with 2000 models have no worries since its covered under manufacture warranty so i think its mostly a prefrence decision. Enterprise and Manheim have companies in chicago too and i am 85% sure the car that Enterprise is selling you is coming from their Rental fleet or has been beaten on as far as picking it from the auction you might have to wait on that a while too unless your wholeseller buddy has a lot of contacts i was at Manheim Arena in bolingbrook, Chicago today and i didnt see nothing. To answer your question about dealer honoring the warranty, As long as the car is under manufacturer warranty any and every dealership with honor it . Hope this helps if you have more question post or you can pm me.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:56 PM
Instructor

The Manheim TL's I'm finding for '00-'01 seem to have high miles, around 50K-65k. I have 3 different acution locations that are frequented by my friend and I see at least 1-3 per site each week coming through. I'm feeling better about the tranny issues thought, thanks for the info.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

It truly amazes me how so many supposedly educated people do not understand selection bias in any sample. The Acura tl probably has fewer quality problems than any "near luxury" car on the market. The reason you see so many problems reported on these forums is that the VAST MAJORITY of people who have had no significant problems have no reason to mention it.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:18 AM
Race Director

I coulda swore this thread was about u committing suicide
Old 07-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Intermediate

lol, good point 2004 TL
Old 07-23-2003, 12:03 PM
Instructor

Good one. If I drop a tranny a week after purchase and end up in warranty hell, that would be the topic of my next thread. I totally understand how customer service works. When you do it right you hear nothing, but as soon as you do something wrong, everyone is there to tell you about it. Same here, this is any easy place to log on and vent. Just trying to spend wisely and get a vehicle that will last well into the 100K mile range.
Thanks for all the input.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:27 PM
Racer

I got my car from Manheim in PA last year. For the same price I got out of dealer after much negotiations for non-Navi, I got a TL-P w/Navi there. The price difference at the auction for non-Navi vs. Navi TL was about $2000, so I am figuring that is how much I saved. Regarding mileage - just have to wait and find the right one. I was only looking at 2000, and there were about 25 TLs, about 10 of them w/Navi, with mileage from 9K to 60K miles. I bought it last year, so they were 2 years old.

When I am buying a fairly new used car (up to 4 years old), a wholesale auction is always my first choice.