For those of you who had failed trannies

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 01:08 PM
www.cardomain.com/id/perr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of you who had failed trannies

I'm courious if those who have had there trannies fail on them would buy a different car or keep there TL/S if they could? Man I been reading and posting here for almost a year and there are 2 treads on tranny failures right now.

Has everybody gone to the NHSA or whatever site and post there failures so Acura will issue a recall?

Old 09-09-2002, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Acura won't issue a recall... too expensive and it doesn't affect every car.

Just a little heads-up.... one of the guys on the CL forum has been working with someone obtaining numbers on the tranny failures. Right now, with the numbers we have, you're looking at less then 1% failure on the CL/TL from 2000 - current. Most of the failures were on the Accord. No way in hell Acura would issue a recall when the numbers are that low. Now I know those people who had problems will say that the # should be higher, but it's not.... on the board.. yes... but overall... no. Just wait two weeks or so and you may see an investigative report released with some of the numbers I mentioned above (plus more).....
Old 09-10-2002, 05:36 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: For those of you who had failed trannies

Originally posted by perrymaxima
I'm courious if those who have had there trannies fail on them would buy a different car or keep there TL/S if they could? Man I been reading and posting here for almost a year and there are 2 treads on tranny failures right now.

Has everybody gone to the NHSA or whatever site and post there failures so Acura will issue a recall?

There was a campaign a while back to have everyone post to the NHTSA site. I know I did...mysteriously there are only 2 or 3 postings out there. I can't get mine to display when I do a search...where'd it go? In any case, if Acura won't do a recall, the least they could do is come clean and respond to the situation like Toyota has with the 6 cyl, and 2.2 4cyl engine sludge problems. I just read another article that explained how Toyota understood customer loyalty better than any other manufacturer in the way they responded to their problem. It seems Honda could learn a few things...
Old 09-10-2002, 07:34 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Re: For those of you who had failed trannies

Originally posted by garylee55

There was a campaign a while back to have everyone post to the NHTSA site. I know I did...mysteriously there are only 2 or 3 postings out there. I can't get mine to display when I do a search...where'd it go? In any case, if Acura won't do a recall, the least they could do is come clean and respond to the situation like Toyota has with the 6 cyl, and 2.2 4cyl engine sludge problems. I just read another article that explained how Toyota understood customer loyalty better than any other manufacturer in the way they responded to their problem. It seems Honda could learn a few things...
I think you will find that there were far more Toyota sludge problems than Acura / Honda transmission problems. Also, I think a new engine or a major engine repair is more serious than a transmission problem, mind you they are both serious.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by juniorbean
Acura won't issue a recall... too expensive and it doesn't affect every car.

Just a little heads-up.... one of the guys on the CL forum has been working with someone obtaining numbers on the tranny failures. Right now, with the numbers we have, you're looking at less then 1% failure on the CL/TL from 2000 - current. Most of the failures were on the Accord. No way in hell Acura would issue a recall when the numbers are that low. Now I know those people who had problems will say that the # should be higher, but it's not.... on the board.. yes... but overall... no. Just wait two weeks or so and you may see an investigative report released with some of the numbers I mentioned above (plus more).....
Told ya!!

http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...a11sep11.story

Oh and the percentage of tranny failures is 1.6%. Not an acceptable number... but no where near the 5% or higher others on here have claimed.....
Old 09-11-2002, 09:42 AM
Cruisin'

Disagree with your assesment.

1.6% is affected out of ALL CARS (Accord, Odyssey, CL, TL, etc)

We're interested in the % of cars TL/CL..

Sure it's 3-5X higher for these higher HP cars... who do put more stress on a Transmission.. 5X higher is 8%?? Recall worthy?

The article and reviewer didn't go into enough detail to get the true story.

I'm sure our Transmission would behave wonderfully if we installed it on an low power Hyundai!
Old 09-11-2002, 11:08 AM
Pro

Re: Re: Re: For those of you who had failed trannies

Originally posted by BLEXV6

I think you will find that there were far more Toyota sludge problems than Acura / Honda transmission problems. Also, I think a new engine or a major engine repair is more serious than a transmission problem, mind you they are both serious.
Uh...the LA Times article says 16,000 Acura transmissions...the article about the Toyota engines mentioned there were less than 4000....
Old 09-11-2002, 11:10 AM
Pro

Originally posted by juniorbean

Told ya!!

http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...a11sep11.story

Oh and the percentage of tranny failures is 1.6%. Not an acceptable number... but no where near the 5% or higher others on here have claimed.....
The article also says 16,000 tranny replacements exceeds Hondas tolerance...and you KNOW that they low-balled that number!
Old 09-11-2002, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Originally posted by TheZapper
Disagree with your assesment.

1.6% is affected out of ALL CARS (Accord, Odyssey, CL, TL, etc)

We're interested in the % of cars TL/CL..

Sure it's 3-5X higher for these higher HP cars... who do put more stress on a Transmission.. 5X higher is 8%?? Recall worthy?
Ahh, true grasshopper, but the 16,000 number is also all cars... so it's relative and still probably around that same percentage for CLs/TLs.....
Old 09-11-2002, 02:09 PM
eCo
Advanced

The article says the problem was identified "a few months ago" and fixed. It makes me wanna start slamming my third gear so it'll fail within warranty - not 2 days afterward.

eCo
Old 09-11-2002, 05:49 PM
Advanced

Trannies article in LA Times

I'm sure some of you LA people have seen this.

Honda/Acura states that the trannie failures are not recognized enough (1.6%) to issue a recall.

http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...tos%2Dhighway1