Those who installed AEM SRI on 99" TL... Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2001, 06:51 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Those who installed AEM SRI on 99" TL... Help!!

Installed an AEM Short Ram on my 99" TL today. Had one unexpected problem: The stock air box had a mini radiator built in that was connected to the cooling system. Has anybody run in to this? I looked in the service manual and found that the built in mini radiator is part of a heated air induction system for when ambient temp is below 27 degrees F. A door opens below 27 to allow air to flow through the radiator, where it is warmed, and then into the intake.
There was nothing documenting this setup in AEMs instuctions.
So, I said what the hell, removed the stock airbox w/ mini radiator. I bypassed the in and out hosing of the radiator by taking one of the hoses and pluging it in to the other. I drained about a half a quart of coolant from the mini radiator after disconnecting it.
I started the car and no leaks or problems, just a happy new intake sucking in air through K&N filtration.
Have any of you encountered this situation before and what did you do about it? Hopefully I will have no problems.
Ryan

------------------
99' LGM, H&R Sport Springs, 37% Platinum+, AEM SRI, Inspire tailend

Our reality is only a faint shadow of the truth
Old 01-27-2001, 10:28 PM

The cooling tubing that you connected together works actually the opposite of the way you described it. The tubes runs coolant around the induction to cool the temperature of the coolant. It will have no adverse effects on your car or radiation system. What you did was correct and will help keep air temps slightly lower. However, as with all Short Ram setups the air temperature will be higher then the stock setup as you are pulling air directly from the top engine bay in, as opposed to the factory and Cold Air Setups. It will ultimately add more performance to top end as the "under hood" temps will be lower at greater speeds. But, in traffic or stop lights it will subtract from your performance slightly because the temperature will build in the engine bay. You will still receive better air volume through this setup as the K&N/Short Ram will be less restrictive then factory setup.

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black CLS Type S - Xephyr Performance Cold Air Intake, PIAA 19173(Yellow) Road Lamp Upgrades, Full Wood Trim, Spoiler, Best GTECH Sprint 6.05 Xephyr Performance Intakes
Old 01-28-2001, 06:53 AM
Advanced

The factory service manual states that the trap door that opens to allow air to flow over the radiator opens below 27F. This would lead me to believe that it is made to heat the air for there would be reason to cool the coolant under 27F. Besides, the factory service manual calls it a "Heated Air Induction System". Why would they incorporate a a mini radiator in the air box to cool the coolant? Thats sounds ridiculous. Doesn't the large front mounted coolant radiator and radiator fan provide enough cooling effect? Also, the factory service manual also states that the intake radiator setup is only on the 99' models, not 00-01 models.
Also the factory intake DOES take air from the engine compartment right behind the left headlight. From there its routed underneath the fender in a u-shaped tube which acts as a moisture trap. From there it heads up to the air box. Maybe the 00'-01' TL/CLs are different.
Ryan

------------------
99' LGM, H&R Sport Springs, 37% Platinum+, AEM SRI, Inspire tailend

Our reality is only a faint shadow of the truth

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by SimplyEasy on January 28, 2001 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by SimplyEasy on January 28, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 01-28-2001, 10:25 AM

As far as the radiator in the intake... Ive only worked on the 2K+ models., However what I meant by your under hood temps being warmer ... I was referring to removal of the factory assembly and running a shortram setup. The factory plumbing will not deliver the airflow mass needed by the K&N so the temps will be slightly cooler but not by much. On average under hood temps are approx. 80 degrees hotter then outside ambient temperature. Hope that sounded clearer

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black CLS Type S - Xephyr Performance Cold Air Intake, PIAA 19173(Yellow) Road Lamp Upgrades, Full Wood Trim, Spoiler, Best GTECH Sprint 6.05 Xephyr Performance Intakes
Old 01-28-2001, 11:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000009.html