Those that installed Denso Plugs please read...GOOD NEWS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2001, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Post Those that installed Denso Plugs please read...GOOD NEWS!!!

I know I know, people have said it doesn't make a difference, BUT...

I disconnected my battery while I was playing around with my alarm today and when I went for a drive, HOLY SH!T...

When I first installed the Densos, I was like, eh...they're OK. I acutally thought what a waste of money. But once I disconnected the battery and let the ECU find my new plugs, DEAR GOD is my car fast. For those with I/H/E, this is a must.

Now when I punch it, the car sounds like a freakin' F14 and the torque is amazing.

Remember I said I couldn't smoke my new Dunlops. Well not any more. Left a nice patch of rubber down Route 38 today. WOOOHOOOO!!!

I know, DYNO DYNO DYNO. Well I wanna wait till Xephyr finishes the V-AFC wiring harness and sunglass mount so I can hook it up and have someone tune it for me. Maybe by then, Tim will have some new goodies....hint CAMS.....

Anyway, believe what you will, these things work. Definitely disconnect the battery and let the ECU pick these babies up. You won't be disappointed...

I'm waiting for Shyne to reap the flames... Shyne I must say I am a believer that spark plugs make a difference.

------------------
1999 Satin Silver Metallic 3.2 TL w/o Navigation
  • 18x8 Racing Hart C2s with 225/40ZR18 Dunlop SP Sport 9000
  • Comptech Springs, Sways, Exhaust, and Headers
  • Red AEM CAI w/bypass valve
  • A'PEXi Digital VTEC AFC
  • Denso Iridium Plugs
  • Custom Mugen Grill
  • Inspire Tail Lights
  • Factory Underbody Kit and Spoiler
  • Clifford Intelliguard 9000 Alarm w/SmartWindows II
  • Alpine 6 disk CD Changer
  • BEL 945i Cordless Radar Detector
  • Burlwood Shift Knob & Trunk Tray
  • 20% tint
Old 05-04-2001, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet. I was just wondering if Tim had these plugs for the 1st Gen TL's?
Old 05-04-2001, 10:15 PM
Racer

I personally haven't gotten the plugs yet, but i plan to very soon. I was just wondering, wouldn't it be better if we got a whole performance ignition system to go along with the plugs?
Old 05-04-2001, 10:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by 3.2 TL:
I personally haven't gotten the plugs yet, but i plan to very soon. I was just wondering, wouldn't it be better if we got a whole performance ignition system to go along with the plugs?
I believe, because we have a distributor-less ignition system, there is really not much you can do. Have you noticed that the spark plug wires look a little different than most.

------------------
  • Denso Iridium Plugs
  • Custom Mugen Grill
  • Inspire Tail Lights
  • 20% tint
Old 05-04-2001, 10:21 PM
Safety Car

I still can't believe it. They're just plugs... but I may be swayed here soon... I have a box of the Denso iridiums right in front of me.
Old 05-04-2001, 10:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Nate:
I still can't believe it. They're just plugs... but I may be swayed here soon... I have a box of the Denso iridiums right in front of me.
Nate, maybe it's the humidity making my brain short circuit, but I'm telling you, my car jumps off the line now.
Old 05-04-2001, 11:20 PM
Drifting

post the link of the plugs here, or if Tim carries them, I'll order!
P.S. how to install them???

------------------
2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Burlwood Trim and Shift Knob
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Nebraska Legal Darkest Tint
Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus 225/55/16
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
Old 05-04-2001, 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Exclamation

Originally posted by Red Hot TL:
You have to ask? With a ratchet, a spark plug socket and a long ratchet extension. Plugs must be gapped properly and torqued. If you can't do that then you better get someone to do it for you.
Old 05-05-2001, 12:02 AM
Drifting

okay... I'll have someone else do it. what kinda pug you use? and SHYNE, what's yours???

------------------
2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Burlwood Trim and Shift Knob
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Nebraska Legal Darkest Tint
Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus 225/55/16
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
Old 05-05-2001, 04:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Red Hot TL:

Here you go.

Denso Iridium Plugs

FYI, per Tim, those with I/H/E should order the plugs for the TL Type S. That's what I did.

------------------
  • Denso Iridium Plugs
  • Custom Mugen Grill
  • Inspire Tail Lights
  • 20% tint
Old 05-05-2001, 04:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Wampum:
Sweet. I was just wondering if Tim had these plugs for the 1st Gen TL's?
Yup he's got them for your car too. Check this link

Denso Iridium Plugs
Old 05-05-2001, 07:38 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by NSXNEXT:
FYI, per Tim, those with I/H/E should order the plugs for the TL Type S. That's what I did.
Woa woa... waaaaiit a minute... whats the difference?
Old 05-05-2001, 09:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Neil, I didn't even finish your whole post and I was out disconnecting the battery
I will let you know my results as well
Did you find all the gaps were already set on your or did you have to adjust yours ?

Stock TL's want IK16's and modified TL (H/I) & TL-S want to get IK20's just learn this and you will only get that info here

Nate hold off on installing youur IK16's and I will send you IK20's
Old 05-05-2001, 09:15 AM
Pro

Tim, How about TL with I/E?

Originally posted by snook789:
Stock TL's want IK16's and modified TL (H/I) & TL-S want to get IK20's just learn this and you will only get that info here

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Bigmonkey70 on May 05, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-05-2001, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

All you guys with mods make me sick - I wish I had the nuts to spend money to make my baby faster!

Hope y'all enjoy the ECU reset gains...

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 05-05-2001, 12:42 PM
Racer

Sounds interesting....This might be the first mod I do...hhmmmmm
Old 05-05-2001, 12:46 PM
Racer

New spark plugs...GO FAST....Speed will never hurt you, but the sudden stop will
Old 05-05-2001, 01:52 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gosh...I got so excited from reading this post, I placed an order right away.. LOL..

Old 05-05-2001, 08:16 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by snook789:
Nate hold off on installing youur IK16's and I will send you IK20's
Tim, you are the best!
Old 05-05-2001, 08:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by StylinTLS:
Gosh...I got so excited from reading this post, I placed an order right away.. LOL..

I'm sorry, but at what point did you think we'd care?????
Old 05-05-2001, 08:44 PM
Racer

Hey guys, the plugs that I purchased were for the stock TL's. What is the difference between the IK16s and the IK20s. I have intake and headers, but I didn't know I needed to buy a different set of plugs.

SNOOK, goodness, I feel like I wasted my money in a way. Is there any compensation I could get if I was to reorder another set?

I would really like to know the difference.

------------------
2000 Satin Silver TL
* AEM SRI (blue)
* Denso Iridium Plugs
* Comptech Headers
* Comptech Springs
* Factory Bodykit
* Type S rims
* Inspire Tails
* Burlwood knob
* Tint
Old 05-05-2001, 11:38 PM

Does anyone know if you are supposed to disconnect the batter before the installation of the denso's or after? Also Does anyone know if disconnecting my batter will messup all the settings on my CLifford? I know my car is a little different from teh TL but is removing the batter difficult? are there obcious parts to disconnect? THanks
Old 05-06-2001, 12:35 AM
Suzuka Master

1. Disconnecting the battery -- if you have made other mods and you save your favorite radio stations, (Navi info, if you've got one), and remember that you will need to reset the mirrors and some other settings, then it couldn't hurt.

Perhaps a few people who are changing ONLY the Iridium's could do disconnect the battery, and report back. It is very hard to tell about this issue when other mods (like headers and CAI) are involved.

2. If you regap your plugs, please be careful with the tips. I talked with the Denso engineer's and they recommend re-gapping if the plugs "standard" gap is way off from the target vehicle's gap. In the case of the CL-S, I was told that the decreased voltage requirement would NOT require a re-gap (with a stock engine). When regapping, you should never touch the tip and only bend the outer electrode. You can do this by tapping on it. If you have any doubts, call Denso, and talk to an engineer.

Here is quote from the following link (at the Denso site):
http://www.iridiumpower.com/faq.asp

Q. Do I need to set the gap?
A. Generally, no. The DENSO Iridium Power plug comes pre-set with a protective sleeve over the firing end, to protect the gap from accidental alteration. DENSO Iridium Power’s ultra-efficient firing power compensates for normally recommended gap settings that are smaller than the pre-set value. In the cases of vehicle modifications (nitrous, turbo-chargers, super-chargers, high power ignition systems, etc.), some adjustments may be desired. Or, if you prefer to remain consistent with factory specifications, you may adjust. However, please be careful not to place any stress on the fine center electrode during adjustment. You could accidentally break off the very hard, and therefore brittle, tip.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by EricL on May 06, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-06-2001, 04:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by DragonTL:
Hey guys, the plugs that I purchased were for the stock TL's. What is the difference between the IK16s and the IK20s. I have intake and headers, but I didn't know I needed to buy a different set of plugs.
DragonTL you ordered what Denso has listed for the TL. As well as me and many others, the IK16. I just never got to install mine...
This quote up above by Neil is new info I put together when figuring out why the Type S should get the IK20. They are a colder buring plug then the IK16's, and with mods, this would be a good thing.
SNOOK, goodness, I feel like I wasted my money in a way. Is there any compensation I could get if I was to reorder another set?

I would really like to know the difference.

[/B]
If anyone like Nate has not installed the IK16's yet, I will send you the IK20's if you wish, just have you ship the IK16's back to me.
For those of you wanting to switch, I really don't think you are going to see that much of a differnce in the 2 plugs, but if you have not ordered yet and have a modified TL, you could get either one, I would just recommend the IK20's....

Old 05-06-2001, 08:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys,

Are you sure about those HP increase claims simply from changing plugs ? Attached is an article from NGK who also manufactures Iridium plugs.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...q/faqpower.asp

Q: How much of a performance improvement can I expect from changing plugs?

A: A common misconception is that changing spark plugs will result in a large power increase. In most cases, removing even seriously worn out spark plugs will only result in very modest power gains, typically about 1-2% of total engine output. This could be even less for computer-controlled vehicles, primarily because most newer vehicles have more powerful ignition systems and the vehicle's computer can make adjustments so that vehicle operation seems smoother and more seamless.

Many people think that simply supplying more spark to the firing tip can and will combust more fuel. What they don't understand is that most newer cars' engines are so efficient that they are already burning all of the available fuel. Simply adding more spark voltage can't burn more fuel because there is no more fuel to burn.

When a stock or near-stock engine is given a fresh set of spark plugs, peak efficiency is restored. The power gains that come from this restored state of tune are usually minimal. Any company that tells you that their spark plug will provide significant gains in power in a stock or near-stock engine is making blanket statements that may not be supportable.

Old 05-06-2001, 12:22 PM
Pro

Exclamation

I'm not too sure how/if plugs can increase hp, but going one range colder on a modified engine will have better results. You guys should read the ngk website info. That's probably why the type-s has plugs one range colder. But putting those on a stock or lightly modified tl will only result in plugs fouling faster.

------------------
- Nick, still shopping for an 02, w/ or w/out nav
Old 05-07-2001, 12:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

So who here has these with no mods? I wonder if i would still feel a difference without mods and just the plugs.
Snook, what if i put the plugs for the type-s in my car?

------------------
Tom

2001 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL

Comptech springs,Comptech drop in filter,Inspire tailights,Burlwood shift knob,Razo carbon fiber pedals,Inspire fog light switch (Piaa fogs on order),BEL 870 radar detector
Old 05-07-2001, 09:22 AM
Intermediate

I've got a stock TL. Just ordered the Iridiums - I'll report back with whatever (if any) benefit I feel;
Old 05-07-2001, 01:48 PM
Racer

ok .. you know it could be just the fact that your ECU was reset that you're getting a slight power increase. your ecu "learns" how you drive, so if you started driving it really calm-like, it'll shift less aggressively and probably do all sorts of other things like supppy less fuel. If you reset the ecu and start driving aggressively, the ecu will "learn" that as well. well i'm not trying to discredit you or anything .. just wanna finally get a real answer
and there's only 1 way
1 - insert new non-iridium plugs, reset ecu, dyno
2 - insert iridium plugs, reset ecu, dyno
3 - compare difference

once someone does this, and shows gain, i'll get myself a set of them

------------------
-Fiddler
ControlGenie Automation Systems
1998 Accord EX V6 Coupe (HomePage)
Old 05-07-2001, 02:03 PM
Retired MOD

Thumbs up

I very much I agree with you. I did reset my ECU when I install the Haloplugs.....no real gain, just the new plugs feeling. After about 1,000 miles they claim better MPG. Well I need no dyno to prove that....I was getting an average of 250 miles per tank. Then I install the haloplugs and stay the same until I hit about 500 miles on the plugs.(two tanks). Then zooom....I'm getting 300 miles a tank. It is cool. The plugs already pay for themselves, since they are only $6.00 and not $14 each. About performance.....I can't really tell, but it seems to run smother.

Originally posted by Fiddler:
ok .. you know it could be just the fact that your ECU was reset that you're getting a slight power increase. your ecu "learns" how you drive, so if you started driving it really calm-like, it'll shift less aggressively and probably do all sorts of other things like supppy less fuel. If you reset the ecu and start driving aggressively, the ecu will "learn" that as well. well i'm not trying to discredit you or anything .. just wanna finally get a real answer
and there's only 1 way
1 - insert new non-iridium plugs, reset ecu, dyno
2 - insert iridium plugs, reset ecu, dyno
3 - compare difference

once someone does this, and shows gain, i'll get myself a set of them

------------------
Old 05-14-2001, 10:56 AM
Advanced

I took my Denso's IK16 to the dealer to get installed on my '99 TL. He just called me up and told me that the plugs are the "wrong heat range". he said that they are not factory recommended and if i install them elsewhere, it will void my warranty if something happens to the motor.
anybody else taken theirs to the dealer to get installed and had same issue? pls help.. anyone..??
Old 05-14-2001, 11:32 PM
Burning Brakes

If I have a pretty much stock TL, would it hurt if i ordered IK20's? I mean with the same price what would I benifit getting the IK16's over the 20's?

------------------

'99 Acura 3.2TL Satin Silver
Old 05-15-2001, 02:31 AM
Pro

Yeah, I'd like to know the answer to that question too!
Old 05-15-2001, 03:38 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

where can i buy the denso Plugs and how much it cost.
Old 05-15-2001, 07:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

SHYNE and I both use ultra spark plugs...work wonderes!!! and cost about 1/3 the price. www.inthefuture.com i love them!
Old 05-15-2001, 10:16 PM
VDo
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by AirC:
Does anyone know if you are supposed to disconnect the batter before the installation of the denso's or after? Also Does anyone know if disconnecting my batter will messup all the settings on my CLifford? I know my car is a little different from teh TL but is removing the batter difficult? are there obcious parts to disconnect? THanks
You don't have to disconnect the battery inorder to reset the ECU. According to the sevice manual you can reset the ECU by turning the ignition switch OFF, and remove the No. 13 CLOCK BACKUP fuse (7.5A) from the passenger's under-dash fuse/relay box for 10 seconds.

------------------
Vincent

'00 WDP TL
K&N filter, Flowmaster mufflers, Neuspeed springs, 18" SSR GPO Evolution 3-piece wheels, WW spoiler, PIAA 1200 fogs w/OEM switch, Inspire taillights, M3-style mirrors, Custom grill and headlights
Old 05-15-2001, 11:49 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Originally posted by viettl:
where can i buy the denso Plugs and how much it cost.
Get'em from Tim at www.autocarparts.com I think they are going for about $14 a piece.

Old 10-09-2001, 12:40 AM
Instructor

what exactly do you guys mean when you reset the battery and the ecu...what does this do exactly? I have 61k on my car and still running the factory spark plugs...yeah i know I need to change it. What is the gap size for our car.. also need to change the brakes...do you know if the factory pads are semi-metallic? thanks.
Old 10-09-2001, 01:44 AM
Burning Brakes

This is what I always do, but I don't even think resetting it makes a difference so I don't even bother. In time, the ECU should "learn" your car.

And about 100K miles with the stock plugs, my plugs were pitch black so I don't know how that works....

Originally posted by VDo

You don't have to disconnect the battery inorder to reset the ECU. According to the sevice manual you can reset the ECU by turning the ignition switch OFF, and remove the No. 13 CLOCK BACKUP fuse (7.5A) from the passenger's under-dash fuse/relay box for 10 seconds.

------------------
Vincent

'00 WDP TL
K&N filter, Flowmaster mufflers, Neuspeed springs, 18" SSR GPO Evolution 3-piece wheels, WW spoiler, PIAA 1200 fogs w/OEM switch, Inspire taillights, M3-style mirrors, Custom grill and headlights
Old 10-09-2001, 07:04 AM
Banned

Before disconnecting the battery, make sure you have your anti-theft codes for your radio and navi (if you have it). Depending on how long you leave the battery disconnected, you're going to need the codes to get them working again.

Quick Reply: Those that installed Denso Plugs please read...GOOD NEWS!!!