Is there less rotor warping with aftermarket rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 08:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there less rotor warping with aftermarket rotors

I have a 2002 TL with 26k miles and like many on this board, I already had to bring my car to the dealer when it got to around 12k miles to have the rotors and pads replaced under another one of Acura's "not-really-a-warranty-repair-but-they-will-replace-at-no-cost-just-the-same-because-they-know-its-a-defect-but-are-not-willing-to-admit". Almost all my driving is on the highway and i dont slam on my brakes so there is no excuse for the warping. The rotors are warpped again and i dont think the dealer will replace under warranty a second time because they told me it was a one time deal when they did it the first time. I really dont feel like debating it with them, i just want to avoid this happening again. The question is whether i will have any better luck with aftermarket rotors and pads or is the design of the braking system inadequate and its going to happen anyway?

I dont want to go crazy with super expensive brake sets, and frankly I have always used Raybestos pads and rotors as replacements on my other cars without ever having a waripng problem. In fact, the only time i ever had premature warping was when i used a cheaper rotor (Federal Mogul i think it was).

What recommendations do you all have for a reasonably priced replacement set. (I wont use any all-metallic pads, because i dont want the squealling).

Old 11-27-2002, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes aftermarket rotors will wear better than stock. as far as rotors you can buy brembo front rotors for around 60 bucks each. there really isnt ones for the rear but they are not primary so not really a problem. as far as front brake pads there are axxis metal and endless pads for between 80-100 bucks.

i personally have brembo rotors that where machined dimples and slotted then plated so they wont rust and axxis metal pads. breaking is very much improved.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

FINALLY!!!! someone on this board other than me that uses Raybestos stuff
Old 11-27-2002, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by TLover8888
FINALLY!!!! someone on this board other than me that uses Raybestos stuff
What other name does Raybestos make stuff under
Old 11-27-2002, 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by johnnyb_s

What other name does Raybestos make stuff under

dont know that one. i do know that they make ceramic brake pads so i wouldnt mind using them.
Old 11-27-2002, 01:14 PM
Racer

Originally posted by stinkboy
i personally have brembo rotors that where machined dimples and slotted then plated
I just checked their website and they say they dont offer just rotors for the TL... are you using the ones for the V6 accord? I'm in the same dillema and need good rotors that won wont warp. Do you have the model number?
Old 11-27-2002, 01:28 PM
Instructor

I order F&R drill/slot rotor from "raceconcept" last week, I think I will receive them by DEC 2, total cost was $306 shipped for 4 rotors and they made of EBC blank rotor. I will take some pictures after they came in also I brought some axxis metal master brake pad to go with the rotor.

James
Old 11-27-2002, 04:44 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Crav4Speed

I just checked their website and they say they dont offer just rotors for the TL... are you using the ones for the V6 accord? I'm in the same dillema and need good rotors that won wont warp. Do you have the model number?
Do a brake search for our car on Tirerack.com. They have them for $50/ea
Old 11-28-2002, 12:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

What can you tell me about axxis metal master brake pads? Are they semi-metallics or all metal? The all metal ones tend to squeal, and i certainly dont want to deal with that.

Also, what are the differences between brands of similar pads? How or why would axxis pads perform any better than a $60 set of Raybestos? I dont care about aethestics here, so its not important to me if the axxis just "look" better through the wheels. I do know that when Acura did the warranty replacement the first time, the tech told me they resigned the pads to cut down on the warping... I am not sure what the 'redesign' accomplished since the rotors warped anyhow.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:58 AM
Instructor

Why don’t you simply go to another dealership and let them do the job. In my opinion, it must be covered under warranty, especially because they did the service at 12K miles and you are at 26K now as you said.
If they reject you, simply call Honda’s customer service and start singing. I would be really surprised if they reject you.
As for Raybestos, I think they are good for a decent price, so those QS pads with appropriate rotors should be very good combination, but for now, let them do the job, your car is still very new and it is true that Honda put pads with friction material that is too hard and that is why warping occurs.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:00 PM
Racer

Originally posted by mskeen

Do a brake search for our car on Tirerack.com. They have them for $50/ea
cool... but the problem is that the picture they have of the rotors arent slotted or drilled... what's the point of getting aftermarket rotors without the looks?
Old 11-29-2002, 08:09 PM
Intermediate

You are still under warranty. There is no way they shouldn't replace warped rotors.

I've owned three Hondas--a 1990 Accord, 1998 Civic, and 1999 TL. The rotors warped 3 times on the Accord in 143K miles, once on the Civic so far (70K miles), and none on the TL so far (68K miles).

I've also owned several other cars of different makes over the years and never had warped rotors on any of them. Except for the warped rotors, however, the Honda products have been rock-solid reliable in my personal experience, which is one reason I keep buying them.

-J.P.