Thanks for the info!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 11:38 PM
clc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thanks for the info!

Hi everyone,

After several months of reading on this forum and weighing the different options of mods I could do on my car, I jumped on the bandwagon and bought a Comptech Icebox and a set of SS OBX headers.

I plan on doing the Icebox myself with a couple of my buddies, since there are pretty detailed instructions on the comptech website. However, I just received an e-mail from a rep on autocarparts.com, and the Icebox is on backorder until June 1!!!

I guess the headers are going in first.

I do have a question about the header install. You guys have been flaming John Eagle Acura here in Houston. Do any of you guys know of a SPECIFIC reputable header installer in Houston? I guess a rice shop would work too, as long as they are honest (was that a paradoxical statement????).

Thanks a bunch.

G
Old 05-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Burning Brakes

LIVE IN SO CAL SO NO NAMES FOR YOU,BUT KEEP IN MIND IT'S ONLY A 2HOUR JOB TO DO THE HEADERS. SO WITH GOING MECH RATES AT ABOUT 75PER HR YOU SHOULDN'T PAY MORE THAN 150. BUT JUST DO IT YOURSELF,I AM. AS SOON AS IT QUITS RAINING I'M GOING TO HIGH TEMP COAT THE INSIDES AND PUT THEM ON;o)
Old 05-04-2003, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

hey clc seriously if you and your buddies are going for the ice box install then you shouldnt have any prob w/the headers either.
I just did them this morning by myself w/some ramps and a few basic hand tools in about 2hours.
well either way good luck and enjoy
Old 05-04-2003, 09:25 PM
clc
Instructor

Thanks

Originally posted by yield2S
hey clc seriously if you and your buddies are going for the ice box install then you shouldnt have any prob w/the headers either.
I just did them this morning by myself w/some ramps and a few basic hand tools in about 2hours.
well either way good luck and enjoy
Yea, I was talking to my buds today, and it sounds like it isn't too bad. Dailod said he's shipping out a set tomorrow, so I guess I should be getting my headers in less than 2 weeks.

By the way, did you buy new gaskets, or did you reuse the original ones?

Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:23 PM
Burning Brakes

your headers will come with all new gaskets

keep these things in mind and the job will go smoothly

only use 6 point sockets or a box end wrench

guide the front exhaust man out though the opening next to the battery,and reverse for new header part.

use old gaskets to make sure obx hole are correct if not then drill them out bigger so you dont have to fight with them

dont tighten the bolts/nuts untill all are installed (this is a catch22 because it would be a hell of a lot eazier to tighten the rear header onto the engine before you attach the main y pipe, so maybe you should tighten those 5 nuts all-the-way first????)

good luck,be safe,enjoy!!!