tein ss coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tein ss coilovers

I was just wondering if you need a camber kit for these coilovers..I know it comes with everything you need but if on some days you wanted it dropped a lot wouldnt you have camber issues??
Old 12-06-2003, 01:52 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

i suggest u get a camber kit if you drop it more than 1.5" for a long period of time (tire wear).

@cUr@-TL
Old 12-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Advanced

What if i drop it for 2.5 inches for about a week then go back to 1.5 and so on..Do i still need it? And what exactly does the camber do?
Old 12-06-2003, 04:12 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to steal the thread, but whats the difference between the BASIC and SS models? Besides a few hundred of my closest friends? BASIC says it's adjustable too..is there just more 'stuff' adjustable on the SS?
Old 12-06-2003, 08:39 PM
Pro

Originally posted by unlemming
Not to steal the thread, but whats the difference between the BASIC and SS models? Besides a few hundred of my closest friends? BASIC says it's adjustable too..is there just more 'stuff' adjustable on the SS?
The SS also comes with a 16 level dampering system.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by El pana/TL32
The SS also comes with a 16 level dampering system.
Which can be divided into 32 levels, if the EDFC (Electronic Dampening Force Controller) is installed.

Cheers!

Jay
Old 12-07-2003, 10:44 AM
Pro

Originally posted by jay.k
Which can be divided into 32 levels, if the EDFC (Electronic Dampening Force Controller) is installed.

Cheers!

Jay
Jay,

I noticed that you have the SS setup and also CT sways, which one came first? I have the SS set up, and was wondering about CT sways, my car handles so well with the Teins's, that I can't imagine further improvments with the sways, is it worht the install? Let me know! Where do you have youf EDFC?

tHANKS!
Old 12-07-2003, 04:34 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally posted by LiLDaVe
What if i drop it for 2.5 inches for about a week then go back to 1.5 and so on..Do i still need it? And what exactly does the camber do?

you should get a camber kit. what it does is correct the bad camber produced when dropping the car (when the wheels look like this / \ ) preventing excessive and uneven tire wear.

@cUr@-TL
Old 12-07-2003, 05:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
If you plan on slamming the car, get a camber kit. Thats the only situation where anyone could say that you would definitely need a camber kit.

Otherwise the only way to tell if you would need a camber kit would be to drop the car, get an alignment, and see what your camber actually is.

If you are just planning on a reasonable drop, do the drop, get an alignment, and see what your camber is.

My car is dropped slightly lower than what you would get with a Comptech Spring drop, and after my alignment, only one of my rear tires had camber that was a hair more -1.0 degrees. the rest were all less than that.

With specs like that, since I do regular tire rotations, I have never had a problem with uneven tire wear.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Jay,

I noticed that you have the SS setup and also CT sways, which one came first? I have the SS set up, and was wondering about CT sways, my car handles so well with the Teins's, that I can't imagine further improvments with the sways, is it worht the install? Let me know! Where do you have youf EDFC?

tHANKS!
You havent seen anything yet, get the Sways, they are definitely worth it. IMO they did more for handling than spings/shocks did.

MY EDFC unit is not installed yet, but will be going in the glove box, so cant help you there.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Advanced

Jay,

tHANKS!
El pana/TL32,

I had the sways first - didn't notice much of an improvment.
Then I got the Tein SS's - and WOW!!!
I had it lowered too much at first - the car drove like a go-kart, with almost no body roll (AWESOME), but the tires kept hitting the wheel wells, and the underbody kept hitting the road. I had it raised up a bit, and now it's still lower than stock, with a bit more body roll - but much reduced from stock.

I've heard that the sways help more as the car is lowered more. At stock height, I noticed very little, and I cannot say how much difference they make with the Teins... The Teins make a HUGE difference though.

My EDFC is installed in the glove box.

Cheers!

Jay
Old 12-08-2003, 08:40 AM
Pro

El pana/TL32,

I had the sways first - didn't notice much of an improvment.
Then I got the Tein SS's - and WOW!!!
I had it lowered too much at first - the car drove like a go-kart, with almost no body roll (AWESOME), but the tires kept hitting the wheel wells, and the underbody kept hitting the road. I had it raised up a bit, and now it's still lower than stock, with a bit more body roll - but much reduced from stock.

I've heard that the sways help more as the car is lowered more. At stock height, I noticed very little, and I cannot say how much difference they make with the Teins... The Teins make a HUGE difference though.

My EDFC is installed in the glove box.

Cheers!

Jay
Thanks for the detail reply.... I think the Tein's are great, you get looks and superb handling with them. I don't have the EDFC, I just don't mess with the settings that much, tell me what's your current setting, my damper is set to 8 clicks in the rear and 6 in the front, that seems to be a happy high performance setting, I have tried the 10 clicks in the rear and 8 up front, but I just can't take really hard turns with that particular setting, however it feels more like stock. It was a great investment. Also, how much of a drop do you have?
Old 12-08-2003, 11:48 AM
Instructor

i had my set on for the summer and it was on the lowest setting . . it was nice but i went throu so much tires . . it winter and it rains lot here in seattle . . . so for better control i raised it up .. . camber sucked . . . if you get a camber kit than u wont be able to slam your car that low
Old 12-08-2003, 01:04 PM
WhizzBomb

What's the most you can drop with the TEIN (or anyone I guess) and not need a camber kit?
Old 12-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the detail reply.... I think the Tein's are great, you get looks and superb handling with them. I don't have the EDFC, I just don't mess with the settings that much, tell me what's your current setting, my damper is set to 8 clicks in the rear and 6 in the front, that seems to be a happy high performance setting, I have tried the 10 clicks in the rear and 8 up front, but I just can't take really hard turns with that particular setting, however it feels more like stock. It was a great investment. Also, how much of a drop do you have?
I don't know how much my drop is anymore. I can fit 2.5 fingers between the top of the tire and my wheel well (exterior).

I vary the dampening - my usual setting is 15/15 (of 32). My more aggressive setting is 6/10 (of 32) and sometimes I feel like pampering my passenger and I set it to 32/32.

When I had the car even lower, the settings were 4/4, 8/8 and 15/15 (of 32) - seems the lower the tighter the dampening can be without being too shocking....

Cheers!

Jay
Old 12-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Pro

I don't know how much my drop is anymore. I can fit 2.5 fingers between the top of the tire and my wheel well (exterior).

I vary the dampening - my usual setting is 15/15 (of 32). My more aggressive setting is 6/10 (of 32) and sometimes I feel like pampering my passenger and I set it to 32/32.

When I had the car even lower, the settings were 4/4, 8/8 and 15/15 (of 32) - seems the lower the tighter the dampening can be without being too shocking....

Cheers!

Jay
Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-26-2004, 12:10 AM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wats the lowest you can drop the Tein ss?
Old 01-26-2004, 09:15 AM
WhizzBomb

Drop

I think it's 1.7" up front and 2.2" in back. Or something close to that.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:37 AM
Racer

Re: Drop

Originally posted by Whizzbomb
I think it's 1.7" up front and 2.2" in back. Or something close to that.
I think you can drop more than that when you consider the overall length of Teins being shorter than OEM. On their catalog, it said something like -3.0" or so from the stock ride height.