TCS vs VSA

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 06:04 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post TCS vs VSA

What are the differences in the TCS available in the 2001 TL vs the VSA in the 2002 ones.

------------------
2001 Silver TL with Navi
Old 02-14-2001, 07:02 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
They are very different. The TCS merely responds to a spinning wheel under 25 mph and brakes that wheel so the transaxle gives more traction to the wheel with grip. In VSA, there is a sensor that uses computer algorithms to assess the current state of the vehicle: Speed, steering angle, direction, yaw. It works at any speed and can alter vehicle dynamics to help maintain directional stability. It also can act as the TCS because it has the same programming needed to give traction by wheel braking. So it is a much more sophisticated system that does double duty.

------------------
Rage On!
2000 TL w. Comptech header/exhaust
SSR Integral A2's
17x7 45mm offset
Pirelli P7000 (Summer) 215-50/17
Fender lips rolled
Old 02-14-2001, 08:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Call me oblivious, but even when the TCS light is not on without pressing the button, it kicks in when slippage occurs. So does that mean it's on all the time? Or do you have to press the TCS key and have the light on for this system to be on all the time? I can't figure it out. Do you get worse gas mileage when the TCS is on all the time?

Thanks if you can help ;-)
Old 02-15-2001, 01:58 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The button must be pushed to turn it OFF. Otherwise, by default, it is always on when you start the car.
Old 02-15-2001, 02:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Talking

By default, TCS is ON when you start the car. When the system is ON, the TCS light on the dash is OFF. When you press the TCS button, the light on the dash comes ON, meaning the system is OFF. However, with the system ON, if the TCS indicator comes ON (it'll be intermittently) then TCS is at work... the indicator shows you it's actively enhancing your traction.

It does seem somewhat counterintuitive at first, but I see what they were going after. Personally I like it this way better -- I'd rather see dash indicators illuminated only when there's an abnormality (i.e. when the TCS is the sysworking, not just whenever tem is ON). Imagine the SRS light staying on all the time letting you know that the airbags were working OK and you'll catch their thinking.

------------------
2000 WDP 3.2TL non-NAV
Old 02-15-2001, 04:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
There's a VSA demo (animation) at the Acura site.
Old 02-16-2001, 10:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by RAdams:
By default, TCS is ON when you start the car. When the system is ON, the TCS light on the dash is OFF. When you press the TCS button, the light on the dash comes ON, meaning the system is OFF. However, with the system ON, if the TCS indicator comes ON (it'll be intermittently) then TCS is at work... the indicator shows you it's actively enhancing your traction.

It does seem somewhat counterintuitive at first, but I see what they were going after. Personally I like it this way better -- I'd rather see dash indicators illuminated only when there's an abnormality (i.e. when the TCS is the sysworking, not just whenever tem is ON). Imagine the SRS light staying on all the time letting you know that the airbags were working OK and you'll catch their thinking.

RA, finally I have closure to this much confused issue. There were probably embarassing times when I pushed the button to have the TCS Light on and feeling confident as hell! :-) But you do bring up a good point about a light being on all the time, which is usually a warning indicator.

However, why would Acura give us the option to turn off TCS? Doesn't make sense unless you get better gas mileage? Any thoughts anyone?

Old 02-17-2001, 10:42 PM

If I recall correctly, the owners manual for my Mazda Millenia that I had a fews year back said to turn off the traction control if you are on loose gravel