TCS / ABS and power loss

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TCS / ABS and power loss

HELP!

Have been experiencing a wierd problem intermittently on my wife's 99TLP. I do not drive her car often, but I have had this happen the last two times I have driven it. Out of the blue, on modest acceleration, the power cuts out and the TCS and ABS lights BOTH come on. The first time this happened the lights stayed on till I shut off the car and re-started it. Last night, it just momentarily interrupted the power and then the lights went out.

The wierd thing is that the TLP TCS is not supposed to control power... only brakes to spinning wheels. On my CLS it is understandable that the VSA will remove power momentarily, but that shouldn't happen with TCS systems. In any event, traction was good, acceleration was modest, so I don't see what the problem is.

Had it in to the dealer after the first occurance and they found nothing.

Is this an ECU glitch? Have anyone had this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dunno what it could be put i'm pretty damn sure the TCS system IS supposed to control/limit throttle during excessive wheel-spin.

i know this happens to SOME cars when improper tire sizes are installed, faking the system into thinking it's slipping.

could be a TCS malfunction....
Old 11-27-2004, 11:45 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Humm

[QUOTE=shawn744]dunno what it could be put i'm pretty damn sure the TCS system IS supposed to control/limit throttle during excessive wheel-spin.

I am not so sure about that... I was led to believe that the TCS was simply a brake control... while leaving power still applied. Kind of dumb compared to the the VSA. Anyway, last night when the problem occured I am pretty sure I was above the speed that the TCS is active. My recollection is that the TCS is aoprational only at speeds berlow 25MPH.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I don't know about the TL-P and its TCS system well enough to answer your questions, but if traction was good and the TCS should not have kicked in, then I would say it is probably a sensor malfunction.

I know the VSA on the Type-S model is active at all speeds, but I don't know about the TCS on the Premium model. Last time I checked, it did not have a secondary throttle body to limit throttle, but for some reason, I remember reading somewhere that the Premium's TCS limits throttle when it detects wheel slippage.

Old 11-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Acura Dealer Technician

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TCS and VSA systems are active above 7 mph
ABS and TCS light will come on when the voltage of the car drops below a certain amount, not sure what, may around 7-8 volts.
Check battery and charging system just to start.