Tail Pipes shake

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 03:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail Pipes shake

I was following a TL the other day and noticed that her tail pipes were moving back and forth a lot. My sister told me my car's exhaust does the same thing. Is there anything that can be done to keep them from moving around so much?
Old 03-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's normal since the mufflers are hooked on rubber hangers.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:53 PM
Advanced

Yeah, I expect exhaust systems to be flexible, but our tail pipes more than wiggle. They sway back and forth more than any other car I see. Watch your friends TL or follow someone driving your car and you will see what I mean.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:09 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, my sister also tells me that my mufflers move around A LOT when i back out of the drive way. What i did was took some strong zip ties and tied them up...this will reduce some of the movement but it will still let it be flexible. You could also yous metal wire to do the job.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:30 PM
Advanced

Nice, thanks. I will try that. I did a search and nobody else ever mentioned it. I thought I was trippin.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:18 PM
Safety Car

I saw it posted on the "other" forum about this issue a while ago.
Nothing you can do. bad design.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
It's better to have it swing around than having it fixed in place because the engine torques and moves, which transfers that vibration down the exhaust pipes. Without that flexibility, your exhaust pipes might break due to vibration.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:41 PM
Advanced

I understand the physics behind the flex built into the tail pipe rubber hangers. But the stock tail pipes on our cars move more than any other car I have seen on the road. Next time you see a TL on the road, follow it awhile and you will see how cheap and awkward it looks. It looks silly. It looks like it is being held on by bungee cords.

Too much flex and movement will cause undue stess on the welds and areas that are clamped. Which in turn will probably lead to leaks.

I think it is just a bad design and the rubber hangers are too soft.

But What Do I Know. All I know is that I have had a new transmission, my sunroof was fixed for squeaks, my front upper control arm bushings were replaced because they squeaked, my cd player reads Er-E1 half the time, my seat belt squeaks, and my rotors are warped.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:43 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by t-rd
It's better to have it swing around than having it fixed in place because the engine torques and moves, which transfers that vibration down the exhaust pipes. Without that flexibility, your exhaust pipes might break due to vibration.
I am not talking about bolting them in place.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:39 PM
Pro

The TL exhuast do move much more then other cars do. I checked out my sister Toyota Solara...they clamp with a "U" hook and they weld the end. There should be flexiblity...but TL is WAY TOO MUCH, they should've made the rubber harder.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Technically speaking the more isolation those flimsy rubber hangers can provide the less feedback you feel inside the car. Vibration mainly. This provides the all important customer with a smoother, quieter ride. Honda pays little mind to what your friend driving behind you thinks versus ride quality.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:26 PM
Racer

i got some rubber hangers a while back to add on to the existing hangers. it was really great! much less movement. the other day i checked them only to find that they were no longer there! there's 15 bucks i'll never see again.
peter.
ps. don't know if shoofin tl has anymore of these. do ya eddie?
Old 03-16-2003, 02:49 AM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by steamboatsig

But What Do I Know. All I know is that I have had a new transmission, my sunroof was fixed for squeaks, my front upper control arm bushings were replaced because they squeaked, my cd player reads Er-E1 half the time, my seat belt squeaks, and my rotors are warped.
Wow that sucks dude. You probably bought the TL that they swapped defective parts into since you have so many problems. Sucks for you
Old 03-16-2003, 07:50 AM
Banned

Originally posted by steamboatsig
All I know is that I have had a new transmission, my sunroof was fixed for squeaks, my front upper control arm bushings were replaced because they squeaked, my cd player reads Er-E1 half the time, my seat belt squeaks, and my rotors are warped.
Umm cd player Er-E1......talk to the dealer about getting that replaced then.

Seat belt squeaks........Wd40.......

umm rotors warped.....how many miles you got in that car?

Sounds like you got a TL that they didn't put any TLC into at the factory......sowwie.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:25 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by vandy786

Wow that sucks dude. You probably bought the TL that they swapped defective parts into since you have so many problems. Sucks for you
I was always wondering why my stearing wheel has Camaro on it, my shift knob says Ford, and my floor mats read PT/Cruiser. THey used the Big Three's parts on my car!!!

Well, they replaced my tranny, put the tape on the sunroof, my seat belt still squeaks but not as bad, replace control arm busihings, and my rotors were turned. All no charge. The car has been in twice and both times they gave me a rental. Maybe it is Karma, considering all of the abuse I put the rental cars through.

By the way, did I mention I can barely can get 300 miles to the tank. I do hit VTEC every now and again though.

I figure every car has its quirks, but I am just a little bit more anal. My business partner drives his 2003 BMW M3 convertible around and it squeaks like mad, but it doesnt seem to bother him. It would drive me crazy.

All in all, I am happy with the purchase. You cant beat a 260hp, nicely styled, roomy 4-door sedan for 29K.

Oh, one more Bit_h. When I brought my car in for the control arm bushings, they stole 5 dollars in quarters from my ash tray. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I told the manager and he gave me a free oil change. OMG. They fired 2 porters after that.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Petrie1997
i got some rubber hangers a while back to add on to the existing hangers. it was really great! much less movement. the other day i checked them only to find that they were no longer there! there's 15 bucks i'll never see again.
peter.
ps. don't know if shoofin tl has anymore of these. do ya eddie?
What happaned to them, did they fall off?
Old 03-16-2003, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by this is me
Nothing you can do. bad design.

have you guys ever noticed that line has become such a cliche line recently .. "bad design" whew