system ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 07:04 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
system ?'s

Hey people, what am I to do about my 1999 3.2 tl not playing any of my burnt cd's. What should I do? Im trying to avoid a new in-dash reciever because i like the interior stock look of my car(unless you know of one that stays true to the look) but maybe i need a cd changer or somthin, I dont know, Im open to any suggestions.

Also if anyone can send me pics of what the 99 tl would look like fitted with the aluminum dash kit or the burlywood kit that would be mad cool yo cause im trying to make the decision between the two.

Im also lookin for some exotic colorways for the ride and i do like the nighthawk black , but i know there's something out there that would really make the Tl so holla
Old 06-28-2004, 07:42 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best solution is to buy the 2002-2003 factory radio... It has the built in 6-disc changer, and will read any burned CD's. And of cource, since its from a 2K2/3, you will keep the factory look. They are a direct swap.

As for dash kits, A lot of guys have the burlwood or aluminum kits and love them, i personally dont care for them as they are kinda thick and kill the natural bevel of the buttons and such. but im a freak like that

As for colors, Nighthawk black is always a good choice as always, dunno if you want to go that route since your in georgia though... satin silver is always beautiful but everyone and their brother have it, taffeta white is an awesome flat white that looks great as long as you keep it clean, monterey blue looks great too, its a dark metallic blue. white diamond pearl and firepepper red are nice too, the WDP is pretty standard so you can look at just about any white diamond pearl car and compare, firepepper red i personally think is a great looking color, but its a rare bread that has them here. laguna green and naples gold (in my opinion) belongs on a camry, not a TL. My car is satin silver, if i had to pick a runner-up it would be the monterey blue.

It also depends on what interior color your going for. FOr example, you cant get an ebony interior with taffeta white or white diamond pearl. and you cant get parchment with satin silver. keep that in mind and good luck!!!
Old 06-28-2004, 07:42 PM
l33t

PS you can get the radio from eBay or sometimes here for $200-$300!!!!
Old 06-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Racer

actually i called tim ad ray laks acura in new york and he told me that this simply replacing the head unit with the newer one did not work becasue when they added the 6 changerer they were forced to place the door speaker amps outside the headunit therefore making it so it did not work when u replaced the head unit with the newer one unless u bought new amps
Old 06-28-2004, 11:36 PM
Intermediate

i had the same problem....try and use a different kind of CD-R or maybe a different computer to burn CDs....for some reason, CDs burned on my compaq work in the TL, but CDs burned on my toshiba do not....maybe its the burn speed?...4X on the compaq works, 24X on toshiba did not....and I think i used Maxwell CD-Rs too (they have a gold or bronze top)......hope this helps.....or theres always the option of getting an iPOD...probably they same price as getting the CD changer but more useful...good luck
Old 06-28-2004, 11:37 PM
Intermediate

sorry, I have a 1999 TL with navi...in case it matters
Old 06-28-2004, 11:48 PM
l33t

Originally Posted by soccerbenk
actually i called tim ad ray laks acura in new york and he told me that this simply replacing the head unit with the newer one did not work becasue when they added the 6 changerer they were forced to place the door speaker amps outside the headunit therefore making it so it did not work when u replaced the head unit with the newer one unless u bought new amps
What?!?!?! Dude, that guy is on crack... Thats on the CL not he damn TL... Tons of people on this forum have done the swap, including me. almost 2 years with the new head unit, and still running strong on the guys TL i just sold it to.

There is absolutly NO ISSUES in swapping the radios!!!!

Originally Posted by rocket6871
i had the same problem....try and use a different kind of CD-R or maybe a different computer to burn CDs....for some reason, CDs burned on my compaq work in the TL, but CDs burned on my toshiba do not....maybe its the burn speed?...4X on the compaq works, 24X on toshiba did not....and I think i used Maxwell CD-Rs too (they have a gold or bronze top)......hope this helps.....or theres always the option of getting an iPOD...probably they same price as getting the CD changer but more useful...good luck
This is also not a fool proof system... There are 3 or 4 major manufacturers for blank CD's. So for example, you could go out and buy a spindal of Kodak's, and every one o fthem would work great, then go out and buy the EXACT same brand and model Kodak a month later, and none of them would work. If you want to use this system instead, find a blank that works, and buy a few hundred of them.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:23 AM
Instructor

I have an 02 TLS and the only problem I have with burned cd's is when I burn them at a recording speed that is faster than 40X. Anything above that and it wont read, drop it down to 40X or below and it plays fine...good luck.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:13 PM
TLStar

system

I was stumped also so what I did was kept the BS Bose HU (2000 TL), got me a Sony MP3 10 Disc CD Changer and am very satisfied! I got to keep the HU and keep the functions of my steering wheel controls. Now I have days of music stored in my changer. Came with a wired & wireless remote control.

Changer - $200
Labor - free
Results -