Sylvania CoolBlue lightbulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2001, 11:06 PM
wng
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Sylvania CoolBlue lightbulbs?

Here in Canada, the high beams are always on at a reduced intensity to function as daytime running lights. Most cars use low beams instead, but I suppose Acura wisely decided that it would burn out the HIDs sooner if they did that. Anyway, I was thinking about replacing my stock high beam bulbs with PIAAs, but the parts guy at one dealership suggested I look at Sylvania CoolBlue bulbs instead. He said they were pretty bright and at just $19 USD a pair ($30 CAD) at Costco, it seems like a good deal.

Does anyone have experience with them? Yeah, I know PIAAs (and others) are better, but I just want something a bit brighter and whiter than the stock bulbs.

Also, PIAA's webpage says we take a 9004, but Sylvania's says 9003. Who's right?

------------------
2000 Satin Silver TL
Old 04-02-2001, 02:22 AM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget that you want a bulb that will last you a while as well. Since you are going to be using them as daytime lights I would keep this as a concern. I don't know about the coolblue, but I'm sure someone has some info on it.

Check out <A HREF=http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006542.html>Nate's post,</A> I think he said they were 9005 so I have no idea which one is exactly correct. 9003, 9004, 9005??

------------------
"Knowledge is potential, Action is power."
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/phanthavong/mytl.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
Old 04-02-2001, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go with the Sylvania Cool Blues. You can't beat them for the money. I put the 9007's in my headlights on my Expedition and the 9006 in the factory foglights. They make a huge difference. When first installing then, I did only the right lights to compare and I couldn't believe how yellow the standard halogens look. The color is pure white. The nice thing about them is that the blue tint does not make the lights look blue. According to Sylvania, the blue tint filters out other unwanted colors, so that only true white shines through. My buddy also with an Expedition asked me why my lights were so white and his weren't. The 9006's were at PepBoys. I can't imagine that the much more expensive PIAA's can be any better.
Old 04-02-2001, 10:08 PM
Jens

I also have tried Sylvania Cool Blues and PIAA and Catz And Hiper and a dozen others.Your eyes see best when exposed to natural sunlight.As you know sunlight is a composite of all colors of the spectrum.In order for you to see better at night you eyes will need the same light or at least get as close as possible to it.Hence the introduction of Xenon lighting systems for automobiles.Blue tinted bulbs are just that,blue tinted glass and that is all.yes they appear brighter but they are in fact not brighter.What you see is your eyes reaction when exposed to short wavelength blue light.It is the same effect you get when you look at an arc welder.Your eyes do not function well when exposed to blue light as it is extremely harsh.Another thing to consider is that blue light only reflects well from light colored objects such as street signs lines on the road.Darker things like new pavement dark colored animals etc tend to absorb the blue light making them less visible.Another problem is scatter in bad weather.Blue light is easily scattered by mist fog rain etc.So if the light is scattered before it strikes an object and then scattered some more on the way back to your eyes you will see even less.In the end buy some good high output halogens stay away from the wannabe xenon stuf your only throwing your cash away.Jens
Old 04-02-2001, 10:40 PM
Racer

I have sylvania cool blues and they're great.. they dont compare to hid's but i like their color and price as far as halogens go .. one thing tho, both of mine burned out after like 10 months but u know .. pep boys.. buy another pair, return the burnt ones .. so no extra cost

------------------
-Fiddler
1998 Accord EX V6 Coupe (HomePage)
Old 04-02-2001, 11:23 PM
Pro

I use Eurolites and it cost me less than C$30! They're pretty white too! Piaa's, IMHO are still abit brighter, but you definately pay a premium for them!

------------------
Old 04-03-2001, 05:50 PM
wng
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Well, I stopped by Costco again and found out I was mistaken. They have both Sylvania Xtravision and Phillips BlueVision. I must have gotten them confused and merged them together in my mind.

According to my manual, 99s and up use HB3, which I know is equivalent to 9005. Costco only has 9004s (I suppose they're more popular).

------------------
2000 Satin Silver TL
Old 04-03-2001, 11:07 PM
Cruisin'

Question

Hey, wng, did you get the Sylvania bulbs at Costco? Which bulb (9003, 9004...), which Costco, and how much? I definitely want to replace the "yellow" DRL's.
Thanks,
Alex
Old 04-04-2001, 02:47 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the info. Let me know if you do find some 9005's cheap (~$30/pr).
Alex