Swirl Marks on Brand new TLS

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 02:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swirl Marks on Brand new TLS

I have been noticing that my brand new TLS has swirl marks all over the car. I am sure it is something the dealer did when preping the car. Have any of you guys had this problem when picking up your new tls from the dealer? I did not complain when I picked it up since I did not notice it much but as I look at it more, the more I realize that it is all over the car. Any info appreciated.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

They wash it with a 100 grit mit. I had the same thing, 10 coats of Z-5 wouldn't hide them. Took it in at the first sign of good weather this year and had it professionally detailed. No more swirls, back on with the zaino.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:00 PM
Drifting

If you are really anal about getting swirls out...go to this forum...

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/index.php

But be warned...this site will cause you to spend some serious $$$....happened to me.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Swirl marks can be removed as they are in the clearcoat, not the colorcoat underneath. I would go back to the dealer, or go to a professional detailer and you will be happy. I FINALLY solved the problem by using only a soft car washing brush, and do the wheels with something else last as the brake dust is gritty. A wool mitt, even brand new left swirl marks. Sponges can do the same.
Old 06-11-2002, 09:36 PM
Instructor

DEammm, I'd go back to the dealer and start Bit*hin!
Old 06-16-2002, 09:31 PM
Pro

Related story...

A friend of mine bought a sweet used Saab convertible from a local dealer. After bringing the car in for its first service, she drove home and was horrified to find deep swirl scratches all over the car. She didn't notice these when she picked up the car because they washed the car and it was still wet.

Back to the dealer. The Service Manager launches a dealershipwide investigation, but it didn't take long to find the culprit.

The guy who washed the cars after they were serviced was about 85 years old, and he washed the cars using a bucket, hose, and an ugly brown rag loaded with sand and grit.

Nice eh?

Last time I went to the dealer, they were handing out tickets for free washes at a local car wash!
Old 06-17-2002, 12:10 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Swirl Marks on Brand new TLS

Originally posted by hgiljr
I have been noticing that my brand new TLS has swirl marks all over the car. I am sure it is something the dealer did when preping the car. Have any of you guys had this problem when picking up your new tls from the dealer? I did not complain when I picked it up since I did not notice it much but as I look at it more, the more I realize that it is all over the car. Any info appreciated.
I guess you have a dark color car. Mine is a WDP so swirl marks are not noticeable. Ayways, do keep in mind the next time you take your car in for a minor service. Acura service department always do compilentary car wash for customers. So imagine how many cars they wash a day with the same rag. Therefor you do need instruct them not to wash your car to avoid getting more swirl marks.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:34 PM
Advanced

I got the dealer to redetail my car, just waiting for better weather down here in fl. before going in! Yes I have the Antherzite color, which you can notice anything.
Old 06-17-2002, 02:42 PM
Racer

I picked my car up night, big mistake - even though i went over the entire car checking for damage i didnt find any. The next day was bright and sunny, freaking buffer marks all over the car and really bad on the hood. I went back to the dealer and yelled at them - they sent me to a place that detailed the entire car and removed all the buffer marks. Go back to your dealer and complain - if i had picked my car up in the day and saw the buff marks i would have refused to take delivery of it.
Old 06-17-2002, 02:58 PM
All Hail the Chief

If you have a dark colored car (I have black), then forget about it. Everytime you wash/dry/polish/wax/quik detail etc... you're going to add to the swirls. It's a fact of life with a dark car.

My '03 TL is only 2 months old and I have swirl marks all over, even though I use three different wash mits on my ride(general body, lower body, tires/wheels), and 100% cotton terry towels to dry.

Those of you who mentioned that a professional detailer can remove the swirl marks have peaked my interest!!! How do they do this and how much is it? I might make this an annual ritual if it's feasible.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:28 PM
Racer

Be careful when taking your car to get detailed - most of them have no idea what they are doing and will make your car worse! Using a buffer is a fine art that few know how to do.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by AJay
Be careful when taking your car to get detailed - most of them have no idea what they are doing and will make your car worse! Using a buffer is a fine art that few know how to do.
Exactly, that's why the only person that touches my car is ME.

I love the smell of 3M SMR in the morning.
The sound of a Porter Cable orbital polisher is so relaxing. :p

Yeah yeah I know. I'm sick.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:10 PM
Advanced

You are not the only one that is sick, I love it too but I do not want such a headache removing these damn swirl marks.