supercharger for the TL and it isnt comptech!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 12:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.electricsupercharger.com
Old 03-06-2002, 12:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

anyone wanna try it out and give us a lil story on it? or better yet anyone have it?
Old 03-06-2002, 01:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Man I bet you that $hit is like the Tornado thing.... Fvck that, not putting that $hit in my car....
Old 03-06-2002, 01:27 AM
Racer

i am gullible sounds interesting to me. Screw the e RAM crap jsut gimme the girl in the ad...

BG

PS someone with money try it out and let us knoe wassup
Old 03-06-2002, 01:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by evolaerok
Man I bet you that $hit is like the Tornado thing.... Fvck that, not putting that $hit in my car....
i would agree but this **** is like a real sc tho it uses a rc plane duct fan to push air, my friend has it on his prelude but never dynoed it....but mentally it feels faster and the sound is like a blow off valve, if not for the performance i might get it cus it 1. looks cool, 2 sounds cool, 3 pretty much an intake and i dont have one yet
Old 03-06-2002, 01:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by asiankidd

i would agree but this **** is like a real sc tho it uses a rc plane duct fan to push air, my friend has it on his prelude but never dynoed it....but mentally it feels faster and the sound is like a blow off valve, if not for the performance i might get it cus it 1. looks cool, 2 sounds cool, 3 pretty much an intake and i dont have one yet
Try it out then....:p If it's not that great, well you can always sell it on Ebay.... oh and mentally everything you spend money on feels faster....
Old 03-06-2002, 01:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Try it out then....:p If it's not that great, well you can always sell it on Ebay.... oh and mentally everything you spend money on feels faster....
thanks true, well i dunno, its tempting to me and its a lil more than a aem cai so i might go for it...., thinking about borrowing it from my friend prelude but even if i did that how cna i physically prove that it helps?
Old 03-06-2002, 01:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

thanks true, well i dunno, its tempting to me and its a lil more than a aem cai so i might go for it...., thinking about borrowing it from my friend prelude but even if i did that how cna i physically prove that it helps?
A cheap and instant method would probably be a GTECH Pro...
Old 03-06-2002, 01:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

A cheap and instant method would probably be a GTECH Pro...
yep did that on the prelude but since his is stick we dont know wheather it was his driving or the sc......he got 3 tenths better times but i doubt 15 hp will do that so i already rule out that the sc help that much, hoping someone with money to spend can tell me how it does on the tl
Old 03-06-2002, 01:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

yep did that on the prelude but since his is stick we dont know wheather it was his driving or the sc......he got 3 tenths better times but i doubt 15 hp will do that so i already rule out that the sc help that much, hoping someone with money to spend can tell me how it does on the tl
LoLz! PM Austin, he's rich....
Old 03-06-2002, 01:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

i would but hes saving up to buy my teins..... HOPEFULLY heheh
Old 03-06-2002, 02:01 AM
Intermediate

That e-ram is a load of BS. Check out the acura-cl forum. I think someone tried it and absolutely no gains.
Old 03-06-2002, 02:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by lenjiay
That e-ram is a load of BS. Check out the acura-cl forum. I think someone tried it and absolutely no gains.
do you have a link or anything?
thanks i will try to search for it
Old 03-06-2002, 02:14 AM
Intermediate

oh...I was gonna add...the guy who tried it put it on the end of his AEM CAI. So my guess is it is definitely less restrictive than stock, so there might be some minor gain from the stock airbox. Dont expect to get that money back guarantee if you already have a CAI tho. hope this helps
Old 03-06-2002, 02:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

just did a search and talked to austin...in theory this thing shoudl work and makes perfect sense...

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...c+supercharger

here is what the cl guys had to say...
Old 03-06-2002, 02:21 AM
Intermediate

hmm...thats funny...that post seems a lot more friendly about the e-ram than when I last looked at it. perhaps it will work. you could be the first to try it out, and share your results with us.
Old 03-06-2002, 02:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by lenjiay
hmm...thats funny...that post seems a lot more friendly about the e-ram than when I last looked at it. perhaps it will work. you could be the first to try it out, and share your results with us.
ohhhh you did your search on e-ram...i did on e.s.c let me try again cus i want some first hand info thanks again
Old 03-06-2002, 04:04 AM
Banned

evolaerok:
"LoLz! PM Austin, he's rich...."
Ha is that right now?!?! I see...wow I'm glad I faked you guys out...I don't mind sharing that I have $400 in all my savings/checking accounts combined...and I have a $200 credit card bill...and this is supposed to last me through May heh heh...so well

I did want to post on here that, at least in theory, this thing makes sense. The stock alternator on my TLS (ha not my new one) is 120A, and if say 60A is used for the car eletronics, then you have 60A free. Now, your alternator doesn't run at full most of the time...it has an IVR (internal voltage regulator) in it...but it could, and since the alternator is causing the same belt drag anyway, it wouldn't penalize you anywhere else...it's a free 60A that you've already "paid" for. So if you run this thing with it, it won't hurt you. The trick is to find an efficient enough blower to make this work...and sadly...this was going to be one of my secret mods...but now that someone's brought it up...I guess I may as well say it. I'm probably going to end up building my own...but it won't be for another 6 months.

Austin519
Old 03-06-2002, 04:13 AM
Intermediate

build your own?? hmm mm3.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:11 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds very interesting/tempting, but i will wait for another TL owner to do it before i do. I am just afraid of the whole hydro-locking thing.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

build your own...hehe my idea exactly but after i reaserched into it the cost is more that what the sell price is...i guess they get their stuff in bulk, i went with a hobby shop to get the ducted fan which only cost like 30-40 bucks but the motor with their specifications is hard as F*ck to find and if not you would probably have to step up to a brushless motor and that alone is liek 300 not to forget about the electric motor control unit you need t run that motor......

let me know if you get any luckeir than me

LATES
Old 03-06-2002, 03:49 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: supercharger for the TL and it isnt comptech!!!!

www.electricsupercharger.com

This thing is wortheless. YOu might as well buy a tornado fuel saver
Old 03-06-2002, 06:18 PM
Racer

I think it looked cool, but not enough power to be worthwhile.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:30 PM
Advanced

Hmmmm... well if it doesn't work, @ least u can prob use it as an intake.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:47 PM
Advanced

Lightbulb Re: Electric Supercharger

I researched the E-charger years ago when I had a Talon TSI and wanted something to help pre-boost my turbo. The mechanical engineering philosophy behind it all seems like it is credible. However, given the cost and the fact that you have to tap into your electrical system AND the fact that this is an electrical motor that just like the motors on a radio control car wear out over time and lose performance I am not sure if it is that viable of a performance mod. I think the RES and MM2 are more credible personally. However, should someone get one on this site and actually take it to get a dyno done then the proof is in the pudding. I know the dynoed results of the Rick Case parts in their specific application on our cars, not so sure about the E-charger. Most likely you would see a larger performance increase on a 4 cylinder than a 6 or 8 with the thing, that is based on my research years ago. They used to say that with 6's or 8's you had to get like two E-Chargers and install them in series to add power otherwise it did nothing for larger motors.

Just my 2 cents-
Old 03-06-2002, 07:17 PM
Intermediate

The thing you have to watch out for on these parts is that they're not ending up as a blockage. A lot of fans dont like it when you try and "suck" more through them than they could put through on their own. So if you KNOW that it's always going to put out more than your engine sucks at WOT, go for it. However, if its output is less than your engine wants at WOT, you have just decreased your power, which is a bad thing.

The appropriate research would be to figure out how many CFM this thing can pump, and then figure out how many CFM the engine absorbs at WOT. The figures for the fan should be available either directly from the manufacturer or with a little research to find out what fan they use. To figure out the intake CFM for the engine, you'd probably have to calculate from our engine displacement and rpm, but I don't have mad math skills to do that for.

However, given that it's demonstrated than our V6 can easily suck water up a 2.5" pipe (the reason for a bypass valve on the CAI), you could do that as a test for the fan. I highly doubt it can generate that kind of suction, much less any more, which is the whole point.
Old 03-06-2002, 08:20 PM
Banned

ThePhoenixForce:
Of course it can't create that kind of suction...because the engine won't slow down in air suction as a result of increased negative pressure caused by water, because the pistons are still moving. However, an electric motor will (stop the fan blades with your fingers) as will any electric motor. But air is a whole lot easier to blow than water...so that really doesn't matter at all in this.

Austin519
Old 03-06-2002, 09:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

ok guys i just did some math and it looks promising for low end and mid end hp and torque but the highend doesnt look like any gain

ok the e-charger will pump out 3 lbs of boost at 750 cfm pretty much this sucker will flow 750cfm or 21237634.944 cubic centimenter when ever the fan is activates sooo given that we need to know how much exactly this engine of ours will ever eat ok so according to the specs our cars are 3.2 liters or 3200 cubic cm so:

3200cc per revolution and at redline 6900 on the type S it will consume about 22080000 cc or about 779.74 cfm so at WOT the e-charger will be virtually stock it wil hoever will not choke the engine tho because the e-charger is 3.5 inches wide vs the aem piping of 3.0 therefore even if the engine demanded more air what what the thing can produce even if the fan was off the 3.5 inch piping acts like a 3 inch piping there for if you want to consider this as a lil ram air effect at driving on the freeway thru a 3 inch pipe, make sense? but yeah

GOOD NEWS

this baby should help off the line performance the most and at mid end hp, because lets say at like off the line we gun our cars our rpms shoudl be at abour 2500 rpms at most and at the speed the engine is only taking in 282.517333772 cfm of air but once the e-charger is activated it will put out 750 cfm so basically 750-282=467.48 cfm more than the engine is asking for basically the system will FORCE IN 750/282.517.... or about 2.6 time more then the engine need or if you want to think about it this way compressing 3 times the normal amount of air the engine take which should jump the hp and tq level quite a bit, ofcourse as the engine rpm rises it will even out just to about what it is normally stock, but the way this changes the dyno graph off the line and 5th gear lanechanges shoudl greatly be improved!!! This thing look very promisng and i will seriously consider it, althought once i get it im be poor as hell so dont expect any dyno graph unless someone wants to pitch in ??? alright then hope this will help people think about getting this also the 780 cfm the engine draws out is under IDEAL situations considering that complete exhaust gasses are expelled and that piston seals and everything is at 100 percent but realistically thats not the case so the eram at 750 cfm should be close enought to the point it should choke the engine in a negative way.....anyone got any other theories i would love to hear,,,i could be wrong also....thanks again sorry for the long post!!!

JON LERD
Old 03-06-2002, 10:01 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Sounds like a high speed blower motor mounted in a very short ram tube.

Question is, can you really get this to work, last and not mess up you electrical system.

Also, while you can get it to blow that hard, like a yard leaf blower, will it be able to suck enough air through the filter and then act as a forced induction device?

Could be, could be, but I'd want a real life demo and test before throwing some money on the table.

RUF
Old 03-06-2002, 10:13 PM
Banned

Ruf87:
I don't see how this could mess up the electrical system of your car. No more than plugging a cell phone into your car cigarette lighter...but on a larger scale.

asiankidd:
How much amperage does it pull?

Austin519
Old 03-06-2002, 10:17 PM
Intermediate

As long as you've thought it through and know what your chances are, the theory is sound. There was a post a while back about a company that does carbon-fibre ram intakes, and one of their most popular products is a fan that sits on the end of their short ram, doing exactly this kind of thing. They're mainly a BMW and Mustang shop, unfortunately I forget the name and website, but you may be able to find it through a search. They did state that their biggest gains are at low speed, which makes obvious sense from what I've said and from what AsianKidd posts.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:28 PM
Racer

If it doesn't work, you could just order the lip attachment and put it in reverse.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Ruf87
Sounds like a high speed blower motor mounted in a very short ram tube.

Question is, can you really get this to work, last and not mess up you electrical system.

Also, while you can get it to blow that hard, like a yard leaf blower, will it be able to suck enough air through the filter and then act as a forced induction device?

Could be, could be, but I'd want a real life demo and test before throwing some money on the table.

RUF
have you seen the demo video they use it to blow 10lbs fire logs around the floor, the thing flyes man...it crazy check out the video, the systehm draws 700watts at 12 volts so lets do the math
w=v*a or 700=12*A or A=58.3 amps so do you think thats enought? and remember this thing is like not always gonna be on 24/7 its like on for like 30 second intervals at most i mean who can really floor it for that long of time a 1/4 from stock will take liek 15 seconds and your almost near triple digits so im thinking 30 seconds at a time should be ok
Old 03-06-2002, 10:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

is anyone mildly interested in this, cus if so imma try talking to the guy about a group buy deal, since this place isnt far from my work, they say 5-15 hp gain at the wheels lets just say this is a 10hp gain do you guys think its worth it for 299?
Old 03-07-2002, 12:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Austin519
evolaerok:
"LoLz! PM Austin, he's rich...."
Ha is that right now?!?! I see...wow I'm glad I faked you guys out...I don't mind sharing that I have $400 in all my savings/checking accounts combined...and I have a $200 credit card bill...and this is supposed to last me through May heh heh...so well

I did want to post on here that, at least in theory, this thing makes sense. The stock alternator on my TLS (ha not my new one) is 120A, and if say 60A is used for the car eletronics, then you have 60A free. Now, your alternator doesn't run at full most of the time...it has an IVR (internal voltage regulator) in it...but it could, and since the alternator is causing the same belt drag anyway, it wouldn't penalize you anywhere else...it's a free 60A that you've already "paid" for. So if you run this thing with it, it won't hurt you. The trick is to find an efficient enough blower to make this work...and sadly...this was going to be one of my secret mods...but now that someone's brought it up...I guess I may as well say it. I'm probably going to end up building my own...but it won't be for another 6 months.

He he he, I always have to mention my buddy Austin some way or another.... By the way how much for a new alternator upgrade?

Austin519
Old 03-07-2002, 01:56 AM
Banned

asiankidd:
I can't do it bud...because my stereo system alone draws all the power...maybe when I'm not doing audio competition I could have that in, so I may be interested. I'd have to see a dyno first. Also, is it sensitive to rpms or something?

Austin519
Old 03-07-2002, 04:45 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
alright then hope this will help people think about getting this also the 780 cfm the engine draws out is under IDEAL situations considering that complete exhaust gasses are expelled and that piston seals and everything is at 100 percent but realistically thats not the case so the eram at 750 cfm should be close enought to the point it should choke the engine in a negative way.
OK....hypothetically speaking, at what RPM would we be going at when we reach the max airflow of the blower? Also, have you considered putting them in a series like the site suggested for larger engines?
Old 03-07-2002, 10:50 AM
Banned

edgalang:
It would suck the most air in at the highest RPM range it could achieve. That would be what 7800?

Austin519
Old 03-07-2002, 06:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I have heard of this thing before, adn everything I heard said it was junk. They even claim that when not spinning the fan will give gains due to better atomization of fuel, Sound familiar? Thats the same bogus claim made by Tornado.

I saw another post online from someone who showed why this mod doest work, but I cant remember where it was.

This mod supposedly only works at WOT, not at all times. A CAI or any intake providing more airflow at all times is something an ECU can learn and compensate for. For the few seconds only at WOT that this mod is on, the ECU wouldn't be able to learn and compensate for the added air provided even if it were true. And without an ECU adding more fuel to the mix, there will be no power because all that air is useless without more gas.

As far as their dynos go, if you go to the Tornadoes website, they have dynos too. They also had chars and diagrams documenting power and mpg gains of up to 24%!!!!!!!!!!!! Dynos and results that no reputable source has ever been able to replicate. Super Street and car and Drier dynod that thing and ran it on closed loop test tracks before and after install with the cruise control on. Ther resulst were 0 hp gains and 0 mpg gains although they did have a weight reduction of the $60 or so they had in their pockets.

Its always Buyer Beware with new types of mods like this. In this case, Im not buyin it.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:56 PM
Banned

Mr Hyde:
I don't know how our ECU works in our car...but doesn't it add more fuel when the oxygen sensor senses more oxygen? So that would be irrespective of the ECU "learning". Isn't the learning process just using a generally richer mixture etc? And..

"They even claim that when not spinning the fan will give gains due to better atomization of fuel, Sound familiar? Thats the same bogus claim made by Tornado."

I don't understand how this thing could claim to atomize fuel...unless you were running a wet NOS kit.

Austin519

Quick Reply: supercharger for the TL and it isnt comptech!!!!