supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 09:23 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supercharger

hm.......... if u go to www.nopi.com and go to the online catalog,

click on acura, tl, 2002, and then "all items for acura tl"

it has the comptech supercharger for $4230.59. it says its the same and will fit the accord v6, cl, and tl

some guy up at the acura dealer is actually going to buy it and install it on his '02 tl-s ...... do u think its worth it??? wouldnt it just blow his tranny

on the comptech site, it says they only have it for accord v6 and cl 6-speed........
Old 12-16-2002, 08:09 AM
Racer

does anyone know the torque handling limit of the tranny torque converter? I'd be a little nervous to do it withough a torque converter upgrade first. Let someone else be the ginuea pig for the stock tranny with all that power. Proper business etheric would have CT put a disclaimer by the product if they know it makes more power than the drivetrain can handle. I think the fact they they don't list is as a TLS/CLS part jstu now might be a "buy at your own risk" flag. I'd cal CT if you are really ready to dropthe coin on one and see what they have to say about the TLS application. I'm sure it will work...not sure how safe it is to run.

Also curious what the kit includes....appears to have an FPR, not larger injectors. Says nothing about an colder plugs. Seems high priced for what it is. I'm sure th ekit is good, but theswe components aren't that pricey. I guess it's jsut supply and demand...not as many people doing this to TL/CL?accords than civics.....you pay more for the same parts. Sucks.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
FYI.... Comptech has been running a supercharger in a CL-S auto for almost a year now and the 6-speed CLS for about 6-7 months with no problems on either.

One thing you will want to get that does not come with the Supercharger kit is a tranny cooler. They are running it on their test cars and are highly recommending it if you purchase the S/C.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:32 AM
Racer

good info, but I'd still be interested to know the specs of the tranny. I wonder how close to the limit it is?
Old 12-16-2002, 09:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Ray_Khan
good info, but I'd still be interested to know the specs of the tranny. I wonder how close to the limit it is?
I don't have any facts (so don't kill the messenger ).... but I have heard that the trannys can actually handle A LOT more power then the Supercharger puts out. The tranny is a very strong tranny, and except for the bearing issue they're currently having is a very bulletproof tranny.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:16 PM
Pro

hmm....maybeill get it ......
Old 12-17-2002, 01:28 AM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

honda trannies bulletproof- i would say they are strong(ignore faulty design), but if you want to see a real strong tranny, ask any GS owner. i have a GS4 and that tranny not only feels stronger than the tl-s tranny, but it has been proven to last even after turbos and superchargers.
in fact i know of many people who have a GS4 supercharged without even a tranny cooler, no problems and some even have over 50k on the clock. i agree with juniorbean that honda intended our tranny to be very strong, as the build is indeed good, though design needs improvement.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:21 AM
Racer

the other thing I would be thinkign abotu is that you might end up in teh situation where your tranny might fail on it's own due and with a supercharger under the hood, Honda denies your warranty claim. So yes the tranny is strong, but the defect didn't show until after the superchager is in the car. That would be an unfortunate situation.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Ray_Khan
the other thing I would be thinkign abotu is that you might end up in teh situation where your tranny might fail on it's own due and with a supercharger under the hood, Honda denies your warranty claim. So yes the tranny is strong, but the defect didn't show until after the superchager is in the car. That would be an unfortunate situation.
and that is the main reason that I won't be doing the 3.5L upgrade or the supercharger until after I hit 100k miles

Actually, I do want to do the 3.5L upgrade and there's only one place I'd take it... Park Ave Acura. That way it's done right and they'd warranty it (and it wouldn't void the existing warranty).
Old 12-17-2002, 09:43 AM
Pro

my tranny has already gone b4........do u think if i bought the supercharger..theyd be cool enough to know that its the bad tranny and fix it again?

they already fixed my tranny when i had.....intake, exhaust, aem pulleys.....and i was surprised they didnt say anything about the vtec controller
Old 12-17-2002, 11:19 AM
Racer

Actually, I do want to do the 3.5L upgrade and there's only one place I'd take it... Park Ave Acura. That way it's done right and they'd warranty it (and it wouldn't void the existing warranty).
I like this one myself. I would do this if it were me. Does the compression lower with this upgrade? If so, then I would think about forced induction. For the money, I really the the 3.5 liter upgrade. And of course i'd go with Park Ave as well. Is the 3.5 upgrade obvious when you see it? Do you even notice the slighly bigger head when you unbolt the tranny?

my tranny has already gone b4........do u think if i bought the supercharger..theyd be cool enough to know that its the bad tranny and fix it again?
who knows...I'd be apprehensive about it myself. Like I said, the failure if it happened to the new trany woudl probably have nothing to do with the SC, but you never know how many mods it will take for Acura to draw the line and say they aren't warranteeing the part because of excess driveline stress causeed by the SC. Sometimes it depends on the dealer and how willing they are to look the other way. No matter how simple a mod is, you always take a chance the dealer and Acura will not honor your warranty. Tough call dude.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:01 PM
Intermediate

just for my ignorance, what is the 3.5L upgrade?
Old 12-17-2002, 08:21 PM
Pro

yea.......and when they replaced my tranny, i was watchin the guy and...i think the sc would be too much in the way to take out the tranny....