Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 01:08 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger

What you guys think of the supercharger at $3900 and about 80HP gain. These of course are estimated figures but at theat price what you's think.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I think that the list is going to be around $4500 and the gains will probably be around 60-65hp at the wheels. Personally I won't go for it, but it seems to be a popular mod....

More info on pricing...
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=77405
Old 08-14-2002, 03:17 PM
Racer

thats pricing right now from the other acura/TL site....

3900 shipped.

according to the vendor there will be 80hp gain for the type-s.....

he has the best prices for comptech stuff.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Originally posted by paultl

according to the vendor there will be 80hp gain for the type-s.....
80hp gains times 22% (average) powertrain loss = 62.4 HP at the wheels

Oh and if he can get them for $3900... that's a freakin' sweet price!!
Old 08-14-2002, 03:35 PM
Pro

does the kit come with a water cooled intercooler? do you know how much boost it runs? Remember, the type s has a higer compression ratio than the accord v6, you'll be more likely to have detonation or worse yet melt a piston.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:30 PM
Intermediate

I think that they are talking about a supercharger, not a turbocharger
Old 08-14-2002, 04:36 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
You can still have an intercooler for a supercharger. It's sometimes called aftercooler. But no, the Comptech does not come with an intercooler. It comes with everything, including the icebox but you'll have to buy a smaller battery to fit it in. I believe it is run at 6psi.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:57 PM
Racer

I went into my shop to take a look at my car and was talkin to one of the performance guy and he said he can do a custom turbo for me for $4200 parts and everything INSTALLED. i dont know how much of a difference is a SC and turbo but I rather have turbo than SC. $4200 for a turbo installed is a dope price. Too bad I dont have the money to get it but I still got my tranny.

BG
Old 08-14-2002, 07:56 PM
Advanced

It may be only 60-80hp but its gonna have a ton of low end torque. HP sells cars, torque moves them. I believe the Comptech S/C is a roots-type blower. That means its going to reach peak boost at very low rpm which in turn means a ton of low-end torque. Positive displacement s/c's are great street blowers because boost is not rpm dependent but rather throttle position dependent. Too bad its not intercooled but with only 6psi its not really necessary. You could always put in a water/alcohol injection system to keep charge temps down. Does anyone know who makes the supercharger for Comptech?
Old 08-15-2002, 10:31 AM
Advanced

UGH!!!!

I'm gettin' a little tired about people saying ONLY 60-80 hp and $4k+ being too much.

Ever look at a Dinan kit for a 540. Try $10K plus the need to upgrade the ECU.

If and I say IF comptech does this well and right, and it sounds like that's the only way they do things, this will be an awesome and very reasonably priced kit.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:47 AM
Mugen Racing Team

if it comes with icebox... then does that mean i can't use CAI? how about pullies?
Old 08-15-2002, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Originally posted by 23wt
if it comes with icebox... then does that mean i can't use CAI? how about pullies?
The Icebox would be your intake now. Existing pullies should be unaffected.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

i want one now!!!
Old 08-15-2002, 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Post Re: UGH!!!!

Originally posted by Birch
I'm gettin' a little tired about people saying ONLY 60-80 hp and $4k+ being too much.

Ever look at a Dinan kit for a 540. Try $10K plus the need to upgrade the ECU.

If and I say IF comptech does this well and right, and it sounds like that's the only way they do things, this will be an awesome and very reasonably priced kit.
It's not so much the price people are complaining about... it's the dollar per HP. I believe that overall, the kit will be good, but it would have been better in the mid to low $3k range.

Assuming $4000 for the S/C:
At 80hp the $ per HP is $50
At 60hp the $ per HP is $66.67

Headers, available for $1075 shipped, and assuming 30 wheel HP are $35.83 per HP. If you multiply the wheel HP figure by the average 22% tranny/power loss, that's an extra 6.6hp at the crank. So at 36.6 crank HP, the headers are $29.37 per hp.

That's what the complaints are about...you're not getting as much for your money as with other upgrades. It has all been fairly even across the board before... this is the first mod that is the exception. This is not even factoring in the problems with the tranny. A tranny upgrade may be necessary to handle this addition in power. That's even more cash... plus, installation on a S/C is a lot higher then headers or an intake.

I'm not sure what the BMW/Dinan comparison has to do with anything. I think everyone on here would assume that mods on a $53k+ car would be more money. Not only that, but you're comparing a factory sponsored tuner (Dinan), to an aftermarket tuner (Comptech)..... apples to oranges.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

how much would it cost to upgrade the tranny so that it will be able to withstand the power of the SC?
Old 08-15-2002, 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Sleeper
It may be only 60-80hp but its gonna have a ton of low end torque. HP sells cars, torque moves them. I believe the Comptech S/C is a roots-type blower. That means its going to reach peak boost at very low rpm which in turn means a ton of low-end torque. Positive displacement s/c's are great street blowers because boost is not rpm dependent but rather throttle position dependent. Too bad its not intercooled but with only 6psi its not really necessary. You could always put in a water/alcohol injection system to keep charge temps down. Does anyone know who makes the supercharger for Comptech?
I'm pretty sure they're using an Eaton Roots style.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by WiLz
how much would it cost to upgrade the tranny so that it will be able to withstand the power of the SC?
$150 for tranny cooler.
$250 for install and tranny flush.

My guess. Actually building the internals of the tranny hasn't been proven to help.
Old 08-15-2002, 05:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Closer

I'm pretty sure they're using an Eaton Roots style.

I believe it's made by Magnussun?
Old 08-15-2002, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is made my Magnussun, but does the kit come with bigger injectors and fuel pump or is that a seperate stage upgrade?
Old 08-15-2002, 07:20 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't think Comptech is including the tranny cooler in the kit. They are recommending it. It is the same B&M unit (#70255)described in the existing thread (B&M cooler install). I got the cooler from Summit for $42.50 plus shipping. Add $20 for hoses and $45 for Honda ATF Z-1 and you are set with the cooler.

The kit comes with the Ice Box replacing any exisitng air intake you might have, stock or otherwise. It also comes with a upgraded fuel pump (no injector change) and a ESM unit to compensate for the ECU. Finally, it comes with a new battery tray because the blower sits right where the battery is. We need to purchase a smaller battery separately. This is the one part I wonder about. Summit makes a rear mount battery kit that would be worth looking into. Also about $40.

Yep it is pricey, but it is engineered for our car AND smog legal (or at least pending). I also believe in Comptech quality. I have not been dissapointed so far. If I can buy it for $3900 I will strongly consider it.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

I checked with Level 10. It is about $2400 for billit axles and internals. The problem is Level 10 has a lot of questions right now. They say all their upgrades will support 650 hp.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:01 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally posted by AZN G RYDE
I went into my shop to take a look at my car and was talkin to one of the performance guy and he said he can do a custom turbo for me for $4200 parts and everything INSTALLED. i dont know how much of a difference is a SC and turbo but I rather have turbo than SC. $4200 for a turbo installed is a dope price. Too bad I dont have the money to get it but I still got my tranny.

BG
but the SC is designed specially for the J series engine...i would trust that over a custom turbo...
Old 08-16-2002, 01:28 PM
Advanced

Ive never heard of Magnussan. Its too bad they are not using an Autorotor. Highest effiency s/c out there right now which means lower charge temps and less parasitic drag to turn the blower pulley.

Does anyone know anything about Magnussan? What other cars do they build s/c's for? etc
Old 08-16-2002, 05:36 PM
Advanced

Ok its Magnuson and they make Eaton blowers. Not the most efficient blower but extremely reliable.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:41 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

I am in the process of constructing my own custom made supercharger. I have the basic blueprint down and just need to commit my funds which will be around $3000 for me to fabricate it. Of course mine will not be made to be sold commercially but if it works I will look into manufacturing them. BTW I would be using a centrifugal blower setup and a 2-core, air to air aftercooler.

I am blueprinting the blower so that I can run 9 PSI, with no detonation, off 92 octane pump gas. I am looking at a 60 % increase in HP or around 140 more HP at the crank. or around 115 more HP at the wheeles
The most difficult part is building it so that I get constant PSI at every RPM level.
Whew! This is gonna be a huge undertaking for me. Shoot off some comments/suggestions/flames about your opinion of this.

If I did manufacture them it would be a minimum of 100+ HP and it would cost abour $3,500. Is this more like the figure that your looking for as far as COST/HP??
Old 08-17-2002, 12:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by AK_MOBBER
I am in the process of constructing my own custom made supercharger. I have the basic blueprint down and just need to commit my funds which will be around $3000 for me to fabricate it. Of course mine will not be made to be sold commercially but if it works I will look into manufacturing them. BTW I would be using a centrifugal blower setup and a 2-core, air to air aftercooler.

I am blueprinting the blower so that I can run 9 PSI, with no detonation, off 92 octane pump gas. I am looking at a 60 % increase in HP or around 140 more HP at the crank. or around 115 more HP at the wheeles
The most difficult part is building it so that I get constant PSI at every RPM level.
Whew! This is gonna be a huge undertaking for me. Shoot off some comments/suggestions/flames about your opinion of this.

If I did manufacture them it would be a minimum of 100+ HP and it would cost abour $3,500. Is this more like the figure that your looking for as far as COST/HP??
no offense but your god damn optimistic......unless you build sc for a living.....i doubt you can do what you say you can do.....just my opinion this is not a flame
Old 08-17-2002, 02:42 AM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

I'm optimistic because I know my abilities asiankidd. The end result would be a CNC cut centrifugal supercharger and hookups to lubricate. It may just be better to buy an off the shelf unit and adapt it using customized brackets, hoses, ect.
Old 08-17-2002, 03:20 AM
Racer

Hey juniorbean, doesn't Acura OWN Comptech? And you are saying its not backed by Acura? I got the Comptech Catalog with my car when I bought it

Anyhow:
Magnassun is actually very well known, mostly under then name Eaton. Its the SC used by almost all the manufactures, and top Tuners, such as the new Lingenfelter SC corvette kit because its more reliable and maintenance free. You see verations of these units by the same manufacturer in the Lightning, the new Cobra, GTP Pontiac, Mercedes' SC'ed cars, and so on.

Old 08-18-2002, 01:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm optimistic because I know my abilities asiankidd. The end result would be a CNC cut centrifugal supercharger and hookups to lubricate. It may just be better to buy an off the shelf unit and adapt it using customized brackets, hoses, ect.
well by all means if you can do it better no one can complain good luck!!!
Old 08-18-2002, 06:12 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by typeSmaximum
Hey juniorbean, doesn't Acura OWN Comptech? And you are saying its not backed by Acura? I got the Comptech Catalog with my car when I bought it

Anyhow:
Magnassun is actually very well known, mostly under then name Eaton. Its the SC used by almost all the manufactures, and top Tuners, such as the new Lingenfelter SC corvette kit because its more reliable and maintenance free. You see verations of these units by the same manufacturer in the Lightning, the new Cobra, GTP Pontiac, Mercedes' SC'ed cars, and so on.

Acura nor Honda owns Comptech. Comptech is just a performance parts company specialized for the Honda/Acura. Just like Stillen is to Nissan or Jackson Racing to Honda.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:38 PM
Advanced

First of all, in my opinion you are better off buying an off the shelf unit and then try to fabricate the necessary hardware. What do u think comptech did? As far as centi with aftercooler im not sure your going to have room in the engine compartment. 9psi on a high compression engine without detonation seems like pipe dream. Sure you can do it but you either have to run race gas or pull a ton of timing out. Besides pulling timing out in exchange for boost gets you absolutely nowhere. Another point is that I never heard of a centi s/c getting constant boost. The boost or rather air flow increases with rpm. Centi are belt driven and positive displacement s/c's r gear driven. You know that boost is actually intake backpressure right. And that back pressure is a function of air flow from the compressor and the air flow characteristics of the engine.

Even if you addressed all of these issues. I think the trickiest part is going to be tuning the car. This isnt a Corvette or a Mustang. Honda/Acura doesnt make reprogramming thier cars easy. Im not even sure how comptech did it but it sounds like a workaround rather than a true tune. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:40 PM
Advanced

By the way its Magnuson...thats why i never heard of Magnussan.
Old 08-20-2002, 04:30 AM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

Originally posted by Sleeper

First of all, in my opinion you are better off buying an off the shelf unit and then try to fabricate the necessary hardware. What do u think comptech did? As far as centi with aftercooler im not sure your going to have room in the engine compartment. 9psi on a high compression engine without detonation seems like pipe dream. Sure you can do it but you either have to run race gas or pull a ton of timing out. Besides pulling timing out in exchange for boost gets you absolutely nowhere. Another point is that I never heard of a centi s/c getting constant boost. The boost or rather air flow increases with rpm. Centi are belt driven and positive displacement s/c's r gear driven. You know that boost is actually intake backpressure right. And that back pressure is a function of air flow from the compressor and the air flow characteristics of the engine.

Even if you addressed all of these issues. I think the trickiest part is going to be tuning the car. This isnt a Corvette or a Mustang. Honda/Acura doesnt make reprogramming thier cars easy. Im not even sure how comptech did it but it sounds like a workaround rather than a true tune. Good luck.
Yeah, your right I should just wait until Comptech(McClaren?) comes out with their Supercharger... It would take a lot of custom work and theres no guarnatee that it would work correctly... I'll keep dreaming of making my own supercharger and having 350 HP at the wheels and a TON of torque for a front wheel drive car:wow:
but pipe dreams are sooooooo fun...