Suggestions on inexpensive mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 02:00 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Suggestions on inexpensive mods?

Any suggestions on inexpensive mods to some decent HP increase. My wife is in school so we can't drop lotsa coin on it. Much obliged!:banghead:
Old 04-16-2003, 02:26 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Best mod is a cold air intake that will set you back less than $400 installed...I got an Injen installed for less than $260 and I love it...There are several companies coming out with inexpensive headers (meaning less than the minimum $1,000 Comptech wants) that'll do you good as well...
Good luck!
Old 04-16-2003, 02:38 PM
Banned

$260 to installed? damn thats a lot. they are selling an aem cold air intake for the tls/cls on ebay right now for $150. get that and install it yourself.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:43 PM
6th Gear

thanks for the info! I'll c what i can do...
Old 04-16-2003, 02:59 PM
Racer

Best thing to do, don't do anything, keep it stock til you have the funds you want to get what you want.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

I CAN'T BELIEVE NO ONES MENTIONED THE OBX HEADERS!!!! these can be had new for 335.00 shipped. the hp gain is dino proven at 27 hp(at the wheels of coarse)this tranlates to a hp gain of approx. 40bhp giving you very close to 300hp total. these is nothing even CLOSE to giving you this $ to hp ratio!
C.A.I. and exhaust WILL give a slight increase in hp BUT honestly most people get these mods for the noise factor,thats why i did them on my accord but the tl's is a bit more refined (in my mind)and i prefer to be fast not sound fast(and be it too).
just my input no :flamer: needed
Old 04-16-2003, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by yield2S
I CAN'T BELIEVE NO ONES MENTIONED THE OBX HEADERS!!!! these can be had new for 335.00 shipped. the hp gain is dino proven at 27 hp(at the wheels of coarse)this tranlates to a hp gain of approx. 40bhp giving you very close to 300hp total. these is nothing even CLOSE to giving you this $ to hp ratio!
C.A.I. and exhaust WILL give a slight increase in hp BUT honestly most people get these mods for the noise factor,thats why i did them on my accord but the tl's is a bit more refined (in my mind)and i prefer to be fast not sound fast(and be it too).
just my input no :flamer: needed
yeild2S, do you have these OBX headers? If so, how long have you had the headers? Not to start the age old battle of comptech vs. cheaper headers, but this part gets VERY HOT, and the welds need to be perfect. Otherwise you'll get leaks, lose HP, and get that terrible knocking sound.

I want headers in the worst way.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:35 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
The OBX's are inexpensive, it's the labor that may get you moving north of "cheap"...And you are right, there are cheaper options of installing yourself, etc., but while I could have likely done it myself, for $50 (for the install of the Injen), why bother? As far as the headers are concerned, that is something I didn't have tools for nor a desire to get that involved...I chose Comptech simply because of warranty type issues and my dealer wouldn't give me shi+ about it (and my tranny just fried so that was pretty smart of me)...
Paxus, I've seen cars with OBX headers. Supposedly the finish quality is not as good as Comptech and the fit is a bit odd, but certainly managable and a good installer won't have too many issues in the long run. The performance differences between them are negligible, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend one brand above another unless you have a dealer that may give you warranty type issues if you run into problems...I abuse my ride regularly, so that was a big issue with me...
Good luck!
Old 04-16-2003, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

paxus, as you can tell from my post #'s i'm a newbee, however in the last 4mons i've been a religous reader and occasional poster to the site. I've only read good things of both comp tech and obx (other than a post from someone that works for comp-tech, a bit bias but heartfelt and i think we can all respect that) i see numerous user w/obx in they're signings and feel comfortable with ordering them which i just did this evening. so the original post really caught my eye because it was a choice that was rolling around in my own mind, i was convincing myself as much as sharing my opinion.
As for the obx quality??????? let me just say this If they were 2to3X as much,would they're build quality be a consern?
i honestly thing comptech is superior to obx in everyway other than affordability, i would have never considered shelling out over a grand for a performance mod.(just not THAT conserned w being able to take a few more beemers(kidding guys just threw the beemer comment in there for sh_ts and giggles))so when i heard about the alternitive for $335.00 it sparked an interest.

done for now,thanx