suggestions on avoiding stolen HID's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 02:26 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry suggestions on avoiding stolen HID's?

Man after seeing the previous post of ******* car and his stolen headlights, I'm wondering what suggestions you all have out there regarding preventive measures.....if there are any.

I can totally foresee this growing into a trend just as the PIAA fog lamps were back in the early 90's.

Perhaps an intelligent brainstorm of suggestions (athough a hardwire to the battery wouldn't be a bad idea....

Shock sensors were really popular in the previous posts. Maybe it would work.

I'm up to suggestions.... who knows maybe the Inspire tails will be the next popular item for theft!
Old 08-07-2001, 02:33 AM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
put some stickers arond the headlights saying this car is equipped with high voltage anti jacking apparatus. alarm will sound if anything is moved.

Old 08-07-2001, 07:30 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I was thinking of a mag switch or simple plunger switch somehow mounted up against the back of each headlight and wire it in the the stock alarm as the shock sensor is. Yes, the alarm would go off after the first headlight has been pulled out, but they still need to unhook the wiring harnesses while the alarm is sounding making for a quick notice to grab what you got and take care of the situation. Switches are $1 each, some wiring, and a couple of homemade brackets is all it would take.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:13 AM
Instructor

How about the good old flame throwing

car protector that was offered in South Africa or was it South America? Now only if we can get it to throw the flame in the front of the car also. Hmm we have to think how we can legalise it here in the US?
Old 08-07-2001, 09:30 AM
Drifting

Re: How about the good old flame throwing

Originally posted by c fut long
car protector that was offered in South Africa or was it South America? Now only if we can get it to throw the flame in the front of the car also. Hmm we have to think how we can legalise it here in the US?
I'm thinking of simply supergluing the light to a steel wire (similar to laptop tethers), and then locking the steel wire onto the car's frame.

Although damage can be done to the car, the most expensive part by far are the lights themselves. If we can prevent the lights from being taken it will lower the overall insurance payout.

I'm actually a fan of theft prevention--there needs to be an external indication that we have a security system installed, just as "The Club" advertises that the car is more difficult to steal than the one next to it. Maybe there should be metal tabs peeking over the sides of the lights, or a sticker that says "XXX Headlight Security System" in small letters over the headlight.

Actually, little static cling-on stickers that say CAUTION: HIGH VOLTAGE HEADLIGHT THEFT PREVENTION SYSTEM--DANGER OF ELECTRIC SHOCK pasted on the hood just over each headlight might do the trick.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:55 AM
Racer

That would just make them wear rubber gloves

how about "Warning, HID's already removed. These are halogens"

sorry to make light of this.. just wanted to add some comic relief.. seriously though, I saw a TL in brooklyn the other day that had some weird ass lights in it. basically the dude had HID's ripped out and put in either accord lights in there or something like that.. it looked like he put them on with cement or caulk or something.. looked awful... on the other side, my bro-in-law had one headlight stolen from his TL the one day he didnt park it in the garage in his building... so he replaced the 1 (the crooks must've gotten scared off and didnt have time for the 2nd).. then 3 weeks later he got both the lights jacked while parked in the garage! that freakins sucks... now he wants to get a different car and only put in the lights back in when he's ready to trade this one in
Old 08-07-2001, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Isn't there an alarm for anchoring lap tops to the desks?
Maybe wrapping those around the inside of the quarter panel.

...Although the wire can simply be cut and the alarm can be thrown in the parking lot.....

Oh well.
Old 08-07-2001, 02:33 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by ceriman
Isn't there an alarm for anchoring lap tops to the desks?
Maybe wrapping those around the inside of the quarter panel.

...Although the wire can simply be cut and the alarm can be thrown in the parking lot.....

Oh well.
Yeh, although a thief will only have a screwdriver with him, not a large-gauge steel wire cutter.
Old 08-08-2001, 12:47 PM
tre
Racer

hmm

on other "high end" cars, if they're the high standard HID's then its pointless.because high standards get encrypted into your cars computer and are set almost like a 'password' into your car until you remove them correctly.

not on ours :\

correct me if i am wrong , but i read that somewhere
Old 08-08-2001, 11:57 PM
Drifting

Re: hmm

Originally posted by tre
on other "high end" cars, if they're the high standard HID's then its pointless.because high standards get encrypted into your cars computer and are set almost like a 'password' into your car until you remove them correctly.

not on ours :\

correct me if i am wrong , but i read that somewhere
What?
Old 08-09-2001, 01:10 AM
Banned

I'm still going to promote aftermarket alarms for this problem. Good shock sensors combined with a loud siren are a great combination for deterrent. Like everyone else here, I want them to either move on to an easier target or get scared off *before* they do any damage. My aftermarket Clifford alarm will trigger the warn-away just by taking your fist and rapping firmly on the headlights. But it's not set off by trucks going by, thunder, etc. Hopefully this will keep them from taking them.

My other suggestion was burn-etching the VIN number (like they do on windows) on the lens of the headlight in the corner and also in flourescent paint on the ballast assembly (etched as well as painted so it can't be painted over) inside the hood. That way just a quick look inside someone's hood would tell you if the guts were stolen.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:32 AM
Cruisin'

Yeah I got my headlights stolen about 2 weeks ago. As soon as I get the car back. I was thinking of welding the lights into the car.

But in the time being, I've got ram air through the headlight hole.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

just add a shock sensor ther under 15 dollars and if it sences any shock the horns and HID's will go off. who the hell would want hear the horns from that close. trust me. if you don't want to buy an after market alarm spend 15 dollars and put a shock sensor in.

Hell you can even add motion or proximity inside your car or right infront of your front end. but proximity sensors would probably go off all the time since our stock alarms only have 1 stage. unless you get a dual stage proximity sensor and wire the wires together.

on my car i installed a dual stage shock sensor. It bascially ignores the first shock but when the impact sets off both stages then the horns and Hid's go off.

quite a scene at night to watch.
Old 08-09-2001, 08:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
What I recommend is an aftermarket alarm; I love my Clifford, and in parking lots park in reverse so that the front of your car is sticking out in the open preventing people from hidiing out of site in front of the car while desecrating our babies
Old 08-09-2001, 10:59 PM
Drifting

Just install this and point flame thrower to come out from under the front of the car rather than its sides