Submit your GPS ideas to Honda

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Submit your GPS ideas to Honda

I've got a friend who just started his job at American Honda in Torrance, CA. He's basically the main man who will be overhauling how the GPS works in all their cars. He's asked me my opinions on the GPS, and how it can be changed to be a better tool for the driver, and I thought maybe it would be a great idea to ask you folks the same thing.

So, for all you GPS owners out there, what do you dislike about the current system, and what would you like to see added or even changed? I can't promise we'll benefit personally from contributing our ideas, since implementation might take a while (and in reality, may be reserved for future generations of the GPS), but if you've got something you'd like to add, I'll pass it on to him. Who knows, we -might- even see some improvements making their way in with future DVD updates.

Danny
Old 01-13-2003, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Here are my ideas (long post ahead!) ...

In standard map display, too many streets are not shown with their name. This is especially noticeable when traveling local roads. This is disappointing given the size of the screen, and its resolution. A very cool thing to do is give the user the ability to set the font size (small, medium or large) if text readability is an issue. At the very least, all street names should be displayed at the tightest zoom level, and each successive zoom out should display less and less in the interest of screen clutter.

Limited zoom capability. The unit is only capable of 1/20th of a mile zoom, which equates to approximately 260 feet maximum zoom in.

No real-time display of current address number. What’s missing in the Acura GPS is any kind of active functionality that gives the owner a sense that the GPS is living up to its name (and price). Currently the Acura GPS system is too passive, and needs to take more of a role of “navigator” even when it’s not necessarily auto-routing.

No information regarding upcoming cross street. For example, “Mockingbird Lane ahead.” Again, this is a feature that users would appreciate in their GPS system.

No trip computer, which would be nice even though there would be a redundant one on the dash. It would be nice if it could track average travel speed, top speed, etc. The Acura GPS needs to be a traveling tool with more robust features than it currently has.

No information regarding direction of travel on a street. For example, “East on Ted Williams Parkway.” Although redundant, this is the GPS being a more active role in the driving experience.

The clock should set itself. GPS satellites give timing code information, and there’s no reason why the Acura GPS can’t figure out the time on its own.

Slow to recognize you’re off route. This could be due to the disappointing precision of the system (see next point).

Precision is somewhat disappointing. It would be interesting to know whether this is due to the 8 channel parallel receiver, as opposed to 12 in other automobile navigation systems. I’m not sure about the technical aspects, but it’s definitely slow in recognizing this. Here is a problem scenario: Driver is following the auto-routing instructions, and the system believes the driver has taken a wrong street when s/he has not (usually a road that splits into two roads running close to parallel). The system then recalculates based on this incorrect information. However, it has to recalculate AGAIN because the new calculated route is inherently wrong. This burns up valuable time that may cause the driver to miss the original correct maneuver that might be approaching (or has already passed).

(continued)
Old 01-13-2003, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Limited detailed coverage areas. No high-level coverage for Alaska or Hawaii. Slightly disappointing, and causes potential owners in these states to not purchase the GPS system at all.

I’d like the ability to simply forego the need for a PIN number every time I want to program a personal address.

If the GPS is not used, it defaults to a funky graphic pattern that looks more like a mistake than anything else. I thought this might’ve been a screensaver, but the random dot pattern doesn’t change at all, and it’s not really random anyway. Get an artist to think of something cool yet subtle.

Graphics are woefully lacking. This is an opportunity to dazzle a would-be buyer. Make the GPS LOOK good. Right now, it looks like it came out of the EGA graphic days of the PC. From start-up, to routing and mapping, even down to the full-screen clock – it sucks. It can look so much better given the awesome display capabilities.

I’d like to be able to change the tone that is played before a voice prompt is given. I feel the tone is a little too high pitched. Better yet, the ability to simply turn it off would be nice. Since the car stereo is already muted when the voice prompt is given, it doesn’t seem necessary to signal the driver with a tone that a voice prompt is about to be given. Still, giving the user the option is best, and giving the user multiple tones to choose from is better.

I’d like to be able to set the default display to instant map view, rather than the menu upon startup of the GPS.

Turn by turn instructions that’s easily called up and viewed. Right now, the only method of doing this is to first auto-route, then select Detour from the Menu. I don’t necessarily want to auto-route to the location first, and neither do I want to call up a Detour menu if I want to see the turn by turn instructions anyway. Give the user the option to also “simulate” the route to see what the GPS recommends.

In the Menu screen, the Detour button and the Plan New Trip button are next to each other. This is a no-no in terms of interface ease of use since the driver can accidentally cancel his current trip.

Remove the fan option from the GPS entirely. This is annoying when you have the GPS turned off and need to blow the fan. I’m a believer in blowing the fan after having the AC on, since it helps reduce the musty smell that can happen when the AC has condensation built up. Currently, I have to turn the GPS on and then get to the touch screen buttons for the fan. Annoying.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:02 PM
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 41 Posts
Planetside covered quite a bit, great post.

I can think of a few others/mods to his thinking.

Why can't the system just powerup on its own when you start the car? Why do I need to tell it that it's OK to run? It should just boot up automatically to whichever start screen I choose for it to default to.

If we are going to create a wish list then there should be a way for the navi to call up local traffic from the internet and give me the option to route around accidents/backups.

Put a light sensor on the dash so the navi can switch between night and day mode on its own.

Allow more advanced routing features. Allow me to choose a route via a specific street.

Allow the option to program in way points, not just a final destination.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well since some of you guys are newer owners of ACURA cars & I have had mine for over 3yrs now. ACURA sent out a survey when I got mine back in late 1999 when they put the DVD in the car asking owners what we would like to see in the next generation Nav system. Most of the stuff is now on the new ACCORD Nav system.
I put down on the survey then voice activation for controls on the car & Nav system. Since I have not had a chance to see an ACCORD with voice activation Nav I am not sure what all the 180 commands it does. I know on that survey I put down working radio controls & climate control system. Did they put a real trip computer function in the car. This is like how many miles to empty fuel & current miles per gal your getting & how many gals of fuel in the tank. I am not sure how the MDX Nav system works but it has the trip computer.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Intermediate

What about creating your own streets, my neighborhood is not on the GPS, but when I drive in it, I notice the position of the car is in the correct area, yet no street lines. Why cant I add these street lines?
Old 01-15-2003, 02:45 AM
Cruisin'

1. Need Larger (maybe 1-1.5" Larger) Screen with Higher Resoultion... WXGA (1280 x 768)... will serve as good jumping off point to TV / Video applications in countries where it's OK.

2. "Faster" response time... entire system. Faster CPU? Calculations to Destination should be quicker.

3. More Integration with the rest of the car.. Display Miles/Gallon, Fuel Remaining, maybe control Radio/CD, MP3 Player capabiilty.

4. Integration (optional add on monthly service) with either FM data service, or some kinda cell service for traffic updates.

5. Rear Camera View!
Old 02-16-2003, 12:10 PM
Racer

- I'd like real time weather radar maps and weather info...XFM should use one of thier data music channels for weather radar map data and road conditions/traffic alerts (accidents/jams to be displayed on your LCD screen map if you are heading towards a traffic jam or in the area).

- I'd like USB and FireWire ports and the abilty to run third party apps....so an iPod MP3 player can be connected or an advanced radar-laser detector can be integrated....imagine seeing the signal strength and direction of the cop pointing his radar gun at you?

- parking radar display....so you see can what's around you

- Rear view camera (someone else said this)

- Canada maps...how many roads to the Canucks have, eh?

- A way to order fast food or food to go from the car...I hate those squawk boxes....imagine you are in the drive thru line at Wendys or Duncan Donuts and can just select what you want on your screen and have it beemed into the order taker....or you are about to leave work and you want to order a pizza or chicken parm dinner from your fav restaraunt...a few menu choices and even the option to pay by Visa/MC and press "Send Order"...your order is waiting when you arrive.

- Fast food locator....ie select Duncan Donuts, McD's, Wendys, BK, KFC, ect. and see the closest 3 or 4, miles to them, and direction (the KFC 8 miles in front of you (the way you are driving) is closer than driving BACK 5 miles+5 to get back where you are)

- Cellphone/text message integration (where you set the email addresses you will allow to send messages to you to avoid spam)

- A web browser....I know, we don't need people surfing the web while they are driving.....maybe you can allow them to only change web pages when they are stopped? Imagine being able to use a web cam to see and check on your house while you are away...or check the status of your home control/alarm system

Also, Planetside, some of us on the forum here are looking for a way to use the DVD map data on the new 5GB hard drives with our older hard drive systems (I even have a web page started). Is there a way I can contact your friend or he me? Even if Honda/Acura can't help us "officially" this could help Honda/Acura sell more DVD map disks....and make happier customers Who may be so thankfull they'll buy another Acura

Thanks
Jeff Jeff810095@aol.com
Old 02-16-2003, 12:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Geessshhh......I think everything I have had complaints about was covered by planetside

I definately agree with the speed issue because sometimes re-calculating takes too long (especially when traveling at high rates of speed ). The other thing I would like to see removed is the damn legal disclaimer in the beginning...I wish it could be a one time thing...we all know that you shouldn't use it while driving, yada, yada, yada...but I don't think I know ANYONE that actually pulls over to program in a destination.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:26 PM
Cruisin'

I am a constant user of my 2002 TL-S Acura's Navigation System and appreciate the opportunity to make some suggestions for improvements. I have attempted to make my suggestions based on what I believe are the hardware limitations of the older 2002 Nav system.

1. Ability to store some off-digitized map locations with some identifying name. (I'm pretty sure the non-volatile memory is quite limited, so the name could be limited to maybe 8 characters or so).

2. Easy ability to mute/un-mute the voice. When you are in an area you know, as part of a longer journey, it is nice to turn off the voice when you don't need it. Right now it takes several button presses and attention away from driving to turn it on and off. Very dangerous. Maybe you could use the existing "Voice" button with two quick presses to toggle voice on and off. Then add the word "Muted" when it is toggled off.

3. Ability to define part or most of your route perhaps with way-points you identify. Using the detour or street avoidance methods just doesn't do it. Of course one can make one longer route consisting of many short routes that you are pretty sure how the system would route them, and then each time you get to one, you program another, but what a pain that would be, to say nothing of the distraction while driving.

4. More, many more, gas station and dining places along major highways. Once you get out of a metro area, the stations and dining areas are almost non-existent even on the major interstates off ramps. That is one of the main reasons for the Nav system, especially gas stations. That was very disappointing to find such a limitation. Start with the interstates and US highways, then state highways.

5. The display that pops up while in map mode while when you are about to come to a turn is very useful. Using the map mode along with the pop-up display is very useful for getting the details of a complex area. Unfortunately the pop-up has two limitations. a) Unlike the bigger display, there is no bar that tells you how many feet (very cool), and b) no distance to the turn, only the time. Please add the distance and then the distance bar when within 1000 feet.

6. More rural roads. I know that NavTech, which is your data source I believe, has them all digitized.

7. Grapic interface like the MDX.

8. Breadcrumb tracking in non-digitized areas.

Overall I want to say the system is quite good and superior to other systems I have looked at, in many ways. Thank you for this opportunity. I would be happy to beta test any changes and report back to you.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:38 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
AS an previous owner of both a 99TL NAVI and a 02TLS NAVI, I think that the Acura NAVI is pretty damn good.

There have been great suggestions posted above, but one that would be nice is if there was a "breadcrumb" feature that could be written to a small memory location, so that if, say, you live in a rural area that is not mapped, you could breadcrumb your way to your house, then press "SAVE". This could then be added to the scratch area of RAM and be used as a permanent trail.

TAking it one step further, you could select the "trail" and edit the street name so that it showed up on the screen the next time and every time you drove your street.

That would be cool!

:-jon
Old 02-16-2003, 01:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Ya, I haven't seen the navi on the new accord yet, but every other car I have been in didn't compare with our Navi and ease of use. The touch screen feature is a huge PLUS. The navi in lexus was not user friendly and same thing for the navi in the lincol blackwood pickup.....
Old 02-16-2003, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by ArN 2000 TL
Geessshhh......I think everything I have had complaints about was covered by planetside

I definately agree with the speed issue because sometimes re-calculating takes too long (especially when traveling at high rates of speed ). The other thing I would like to see removed is the damn legal disclaimer in the beginning...I wish it could be a one time thing...we all know that you shouldn't use it while driving, yada, yada, yada...but I don't think I know ANYONE that actually pulls over to program in a destination.
I do! haha cuz my lexus has a gay safety feature that doesn't let me input stuff while the car is moving

as for the acura's system, yes it DEFINITELY needs to recalculate faster (the lexus does it significantly faster)...

the little turn map thing that pops up to tell you to make a turn needs to be more detailed and precise

hm...can't think of anything else right now...but i can say that the acura system is MUCH better than the lexus system in features...
Old 02-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
at least you guys get the Navi option down in the US :o
Old 02-18-2003, 03:35 PM
Instructor

One more thing.

I know we all agree the TL navi is better than the Lexus, but one thing I like about the lexus is that when it goes to the night time view, you can still read the cities with ease. On the TL, the darker gray against black lettering with a white glow doesn't read very easily. The contrast needs to be a little clearer.

I think everyone covered all the other changes to consider! Think about it, it's the best Navi on the market and still has a ton of room for improvement.

My mum has a 740iL sport with the large 7" screen but the navi is awful! No touch screen, and you rotate this mouse to go letter by letter. It's GUI is poorly designed too. Gosh, the TL is so easy, tap by intersection, tap by phone number....and go!

02 Tails
H&R OE Springs
17x7 Konig Glides (solid black)
215/45 P7000 Supersport's
8-way indiglo gauges
de-badged
Old 02-19-2003, 09:52 AM
Advanced

how about a heads up display on the windshield? think about the possibilities. the display could be pretty big. if it was posiitioned in front of the driver on the windshield, the arrows that indicate up coming turns would be right in front of you like they were overlayed on the street.

i call royalties on this suggestion!!!!

Old 02-20-2003, 01:43 AM
Instructor

Cool, guys. I'm gonna direct my friend to thise forum so he can catch up on all the great comments.

Danny
Old 02-20-2003, 12:58 PM
Cruisin'

A simple modification I'd like to see is:

They should add the '-' character to the numpad. There is plenty of space there. I don't know about you guys, but where I live (Queens, NY), all street number is in this format 999-99. It is anoying that I have to first switch to numpad to type in first set of number and then switch to the letters to type in '-' then switch back to number to type in the rest.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:10 PM
Pro

In addition to the software upgrades - MAKE THE HARDWARE AND ELECTRONICS UPGRADEABLE TOO. I'd love to put a rear-view camera and microphone with voice activation in my car...
Old 02-21-2003, 02:01 AM
Racer

>>MAKE THE HARDWARE AND ELECTRONICS UPGRADEABLE TOO<<

Yep. I 2nd that. If they had USB and FireWire ports and a slot that accepted a CompactFlash card you could plug in devices and install the apps to run them on the CF card and just plug it in. Really, the only functionallity the software would have to support would be to allow the LCD Touch Screen (and maybe joystick) to act as a display and input device for third party devices. Maybe support for the abilty to play audio through the BOSE too (for alert sounds).

Then adding a parking radar, or radar/laser detector would be easy.

BUT given the total lack of interest Acura and Alpine have shown in letting us '99 owners use 5GB hard drives (so we can get full US coverage) I doubt they want anyone adding onto "their" system. Alpine didn't even reply to the letter I wrote them. Acura did but politley declined to help. See, the hardware specs of the '99 HD Navi computer are as classified as the plans to the Sea Wolf sub. I think Acura and Alpine are concerned they may fall into the hands of China or North Korea. Imagine if China cracked the specs of a Colecovison!! All Hell would break lose!! [a little heavy sarcasim there...]
Old 02-21-2003, 11:43 AM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL... I dont have the navi, but all these sound great... especially the cop detector thing. Higly unlikely though, but I always wanted my radar detector to be integrated in the stereo sometimes, because I have the radio up so loud I cant hear it sometimes!
Old 02-21-2003, 10:01 PM
Jae
Intermediate

The GPS should be able to interact with the local highway safety patrol and update the driver on collisions/traffic hazards, etc. on major highways. They could do something like what they have at http://www.sigalert.com/map.asp?Regi...s&partner=kfwb
Old 02-22-2003, 08:34 AM
Advanced

Great suggestions so far. Well done.

One not so high tech add would be an infrared port so I could beam the destination from a palm or hand held PC. People do that all day between palms, laptops, cell phones, etc. It would be nice to just select the address entry and press beam. This would be an easy step to implement on the way to firewire, memory stick, etc.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:00 AM
Racer

Here are some additional ideas...

- Safety Radar messages displayed and warning sounds...
http://www.whistlergroup.com/faq-detectors-answers.asp
(great page!)

My Threat Warning Sensor...erh, I mean radar detector...has had Safety Radar warning messages for years!

I have not seen how the Onstar system works, but the ability to summon help from your touch screen would be great. Click the "Live Assistance" button...then select....
- Out of Gas
- Flat Tire
- Break Down
....then press "Send For Help".....and your location, speed (if any), engine problem codes, fuel level, your name, cell# (preprogrammed in or entered from the screen) and VIN # is transmitted to Acura/Onstar assistance center. If they use one of the LEO (Low Earth Orbit) or geo stationary satellite networks that exists you could call ffor assistance from anywhere in North America (and have the ability to do two way text messaging and communication cheaply).

Same for Medical Emergencies....
- Nearest Hospital(s)?
- Nearest Ambulance/EMS Station?
- I need an ambulance now!

The applilty to add wireless 802.11 networking (and maybe "Bluetooth"), in addition to the USB and FireWire ports I mentioned. I can think of a whole range of add on hardware and software products (and services) Acura could market......hummm, hold on, Acura hasn't helped us '99 Navi users use 5GB drives yet! Why should I tell them how to make millions of dollars??? Come on Acura, you guys are innovators who say you are about "Customer Care"...now is your chance to prove it. I showed you the way in another thread on this board, along with how to make money doing it. It's time to step up.....

And I agree with others here, more gas stations and bank locations.....my system shows the closest bank 90 miles away when I tried it!!! There are FIVE banks in my little town here...

Jeff-
Old 04-24-2003, 10:28 PM
10th Gear

Jeff: Read up on the new 2004 Acura TL. It has Bluetooh, XM Radio, and some other goodies that come standard. I can't say I care for how the car looks, but the new features sound nice.
Also, I checked out a 2003 TL yesterday. It comes with 1-year free of OnStar service. On the rear view mirror, it has a blue button that calls OnStar, and they have an antennae on the top of the car for the OnStar service. The guy said you could use to to call a person, and ask for the nearest place to eat, etc. So those things you wanted are on the way

My ideas for GPS:

- Automatically updating the clock should be done (as was suggested).

- A setting so that the GPS voice only speaks when the radio (music) is turned off. Or, also as was suggested, just some way to make it quicker to togglethe GPS voice. When I'm in a unfamiliar area, I actually tend to turn the radio off so I can concentrate better on who/what is around me, etc. If I do have the radio on, I find it annoying when the voice interrupts (turns music down) anyway. Also, if I've got a number of passengers with me chatting away, the GPS Voice interrupts their conversation somewhat, and I can't hear the voice over them anyway. Rather than scramble and turn the driving cues off on the screen, I'd rather just hit one button and turn the voice off. Occationally I do like having the navigation voice on, but usually I just leave it muted.

- Add an option to disable the GPS NAV pin features. Like someone else suggested, I don't like having to enter my PIN to add or lookup an address. I realize some people are paranoid and don't want people looking up the addresses they have programmed in there (like if someone else borrowed their car or somehow got the key to the car). But there are also people, like me, where that security is just not necessary and is a waste of time.

- Part of the above: how about if the valet key is used to run the car, the NAV system can not be used? Or maybe some master password would be required.

- Useful information, like average MPG, distance remaining on current amount of fuel. A stopwatch feature would be cool (hey, who else has it?). And how about another screen for water temp, oil pressure, air/fuel ratio, air intake temp, fuel pressure, battery Volts -- the sensors are already there, why not use them? Most people are idiots when it comes to cars, and wouldn't have a clue what this information is. But trust me, a portion of them would respect a car company taking advantage of a digital display to show this kind of information. I would! If the NAV system also already has an inertial navigation system (i.e. it guess current position based on current velocity and compus heading whenever the GPS signal is unavailable), why not share that info on the screen to? Data logging would also be a plus -- you can use 2-axis G-force sensors of the INS, and also measure the cars corning G's, acceleration, etc. Sure, that's over the top for the Average Joe. I used to race cars, so I'm into that kind of stuff My fathers old Chrysler LeBaron covertible had a computer and a small display that calculated miles remaining on curernt fuel, average MPG, etc. That was years ago.... That kind of stuff does add to the driving experience.

- Overall improved accuracy of the GPS System. Yes, it's good. But there are certain parts of Dallas and Fort Worth that I drive and my NAV always gets confused (it puts me on a road that parallels a road that I'm currently on, sometimes a good 300m or so off). I agree for the most part it is good and accurate, but improvements are still needed (and expected in a newer system).

- Star field screen saver sucks. Just have the thing show the clock. Add an option for allowing us to change the size/location/color of the clock (larger/smaller). In general, more configuration, the better (i.e. colors, fonts, etc). BTW, a sliding cover, or folding leather cover for the NAV screen would be awesome, for when I don't need it. My Honda del Sol has a sliding cover for the radio -- it's cheap, but everyone loves it! And it has protected the radio. Also, I know the NAV screen has the clock, but I'd actually prefer the clock to be in the dash (i.e. off the screen)...

- Some people are saying GET RID of the notice that appears when you start the GPS system. I agree also that it is very annoying. But, you have to realize the legal reasons why Acura would have this. As a car company, they simply don't want a reputation of people driving carelessly because of their NAV system. It's a difficult problem, and I think Acura is trying to use good (safe) judgement even though no national legal standards for this have been established. I guess the question is, is this forced notice actually helpful in reminding people to drive safely while using the NAV system? Or how about this... If your in an accident, and it's found your at fault, and can be shown you were on your cell phone or using the NAV system, you get fined $2000 on top of any other fines/damage you have. Then car companies just need NAV systems that record when the last input (keypad or touch screen) was commanded, a sort of black box... Modern Honda's already record if you've over reved the engine...

- Future stuff: camers maybe, but I can see that driving up the cost. Perhaps just the option to interface with a camera, if the owner desired. Like I could see someone adding a camera for the backseat, to check on the kids, or a rear mounted camera to assist in backing up (lords knows a pedestrian won't stop and help)... But honestly, those features wouldn't be too helpful to me personally (not now anyway). Might as well have the camera also be able to record snapshots and transfer them to some media to be printed elsewhere....

That's all I got...
Old 04-25-2003, 06:25 AM
Instructor

If we use the latest Acura/Honda Navi system as a baseline (new Accord, TSX, MDX, etc) I'd like to see the following improvements:
1) trip computer standard
2) traffic report integration (like the Japanese InterNavi system
3) bluetooth or USB connectivity to a PDA or Laptop
4) bluetooth or cable integration with cell phone
5) leverage a standard like Windows for Automotive.
Old 04-27-2003, 04:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Originally posted by planetside
Turn by turn instructions that’s easily called up and viewed. Right now, the only method of doing this is to first auto-route, then select Detour from the Menu. I don’t necessarily want to auto-route to the location first, and neither do I want to call up a Detour menu if I want to see the turn by turn instructions anyway. Give the user the option to also “simulate” the route to see what the GPS recommends.
Hey, Planetside...
Part of this one is already done! Can't help ya with the "simulation" but the turn instructions are there. Here's what you do:

After choosing your destination (and you've started moving) make sure you're in "Turn by turn" mode. Then you can simply press the Navi's joystick down once and you'll be shown in advance what the next turn is. Keep pressing down to review each turn, one by one. Or, as I was happy to discover, press the joystick once to the LEFT and you'll be shown a list of all turns (just like when you go into MENU, DETOUR). Of course, it's only "display" mode so no changes can be made - but I've found the Navi a lot more useful now that I have these two new tricks up my sleeve.

(If someone already mentioned this I apologize in advance! I may have missed a response or two in this post.)

Later,

V.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:33 PM
I like to mod teh Bimmer

1 or 2 people mentioned the accuracy of the system. I read that our systems could be accurate to 3-5 feet, but the government scramble the raw information, and send it back so it is only accurate to about 100 feet. Maybe we should write to our senators???!!!
Old 04-27-2003, 03:54 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Originally posted by sweetride01
1 or 2 people mentioned the accuracy of the system. I read that our systems could be accurate to 3-5 feet, but the government scramble the raw information, and send it back so it is only accurate to about 100 feet. Maybe we should write to our senators???!!!
Actually, I'm fairly certain they took that restriction off and do not scramble anymore. They do of course have the ability to switch it on at will as necessary..
Old 04-27-2003, 10:17 PM
Racer

slewis,

>>Jeff: Read up on the new 2004 Acura TL. It has Bluetooh, XM Radio, and some other goodies that come standard. <<

Where'd you read this??
Old 04-27-2003, 11:48 PM
10th Gear

JeffNY: From several sources, but it is still a rumor (nothing official from Honda). Here are a couple links (do a search for "2004 TL" at www.google.com ):

http://www.h0nda-akura.net/forums/sh...0&pagenumber=3
(in the above URL, replace "h0nda" with "honda" and "akura" with "acura")

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web...PRm.0@.ef14965!Z=

There has probably also been some discussion of this elsewhere on the forums here.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:55 PM
Racer

In addition to haveing the clock be self-adjusting, even when you cross time-zones, how about showing the day and date too ("Friday 5/2/03"). Nice when on a trip and lose track of the days. Maybe displayed in a subdude or low contrast font (so you can easily distingush it from the time display if you glance over quickly)...

Jeff
Old 08-09-2003, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

Lightbulb

Does anyone know if the Acura/Honda Nav systems have an interface which emit standard GPS NMEA sentences for position and speed inforamtion? I'd like to hook it up to an amateur radio for APRS position reporting.

As for ideas..... do something like http://www.dashpc.com so it can become whatever the owner wants.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Advanced

I want a real-time camera view of my car from one of them sattelites. That little arrow thingy just don't cut it. And I want the cops up ahead to show up in red.

Kidding aside, the navi is pretty good as is. Perhaps a little more contrast, or more colors. Something to liven it up. Perhaps a custom color screen. The blue is kinda boring. I prefer purple. You may prefer pink(hehe).

And as was mentioned before, a light sensor for the TOD. I turn off my headlights at night and get blinded by the daytime screen. Turn my lights on during the day, and I can't see crap(manually changing it ain't an option for me. Menus are a drag when driving).
Old 08-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by moseby
Does anyone know if the Acura/Honda Nav systems have an interface which emit standard GPS NMEA sentences for position and speed inforamtion? I'd like to hook it up to an amateur radio for APRS position reporting.

As for ideas..... do something like http://www.dashpc.com so it can become whatever the owner wants.
probably not, or at least without modifying the unit...i soldered on a rs-232 connector to my tahoe (with onstar) so I can use it while wardriving and use Streets and Maps on long trips...works damn good and a lot more accurate than our Navigation.