Stupid question here

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid question here

I just saw on autogeek.net...

Is it legal to use it instead of the state sanctioned plates?
Old 10-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
depends what state.... i kno in NY nothing slides.. duno about WA
Old 10-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Banned

um, thats just for show... you cant have that as your every day plate.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:22 PM
1 B3AKOHE

You can have that on the front of your car in any state that only requires rear plates.. So like if they only tell u that rear plates must be on , u can put anything you like in the front.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I wonder if you'd get away with it anyway...?

I've noticed a few cars driving around with European plates (not sure exactly which country, just that they were European). Of course, I'm sure they had legitimate reasons for using them, so if you ever did get pulled over, you'd be screwed. But maybe cops would just assume you were allowed to use them, and therefore not bother you...(yeah, right)
Old 10-03-2004, 02:26 PM
1 B3AKOHE

Originally Posted by cparris
I wonder if you'd get away with it anyway...?

I've noticed a few cars driving around with European plates (not sure exactly which country, just that they were European). Of course, I'm sure they had legitimate reasons for using them, so if you ever did get pulled over, you'd be screwed. But maybe cops would just assume you were allowed to use them, and therefore not bother you...(yeah, right)

Uh thats not true, I had Euro plates on my car.. It doesnt matter to cops as long as your rear plate is legit and the state only requires rear plates. Having a euro plate or any plate in the front means nothing to anyone but the driver . thx
Old 10-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by Beeza
Uh thats not true, I had Euro plates on my car.. It doesnt matter to cops as long as your rear plate is legit and the state only requires rear plates. Having a euro plate or any plate in the front means nothing to anyone but the driver . thx
Sorry, I guess I should have reworded my first post.

I meant that I've seen some cars driving around with rear Euro plates. No U.S. plates in sight.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:43 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
u can put 2 plates in the front~ 1 is the Jap plate, another is the real one.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by cparris
Sorry, I guess I should have reworded my first post.

I meant that I've seen some cars driving around with rear Euro plates. No U.S. plates in sight.
Diplomatic vehicles. But they are still required to carry paperwork, making the vehicle street-legal in the U.S. for the duration of the time it's here.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:49 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hehe, once i was cleanin the gunk behind my rear plate and polishing my chrome plate frame, and had to move the car, so while i was on my street i decided go for a little spin having forgotten the rear plate in the garage (and i don't have a front plate on to begin with...), i got through almost 3 towns before getting pulled over by 3 cops.........so make sure at least your REAR plate is legal.....(and attached..) later. -shawn
Old 10-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not sure how accurate this is to date, but here is a historical list:

States that require front/back license plates:

Alaska, American Samoa, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming, British Columbia, Manitoba (newly issue plates), New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Saskatchewan
States that require only a rear license plate :

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virgin Islands, West Virginia, Alberta, Quebec, Manitoba (New plates are front/back in 1997), Northwest Territories, Prince Edward Island, Yukon Territory
Old 10-03-2004, 06:56 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The rules for Ohio anyway - taken from the local police web page:

"License plates are also often the topic of discussion. Ohio law requires that two plates be displayed, unimpaired, on the front and rear of the vehicle and that they must be firmly attached. Although tinted covers are sold at most local stores, they are not "street legal". Neither are the frames that go around the license plate if they obstruct any of the stickers, including the county sticker. At no time may the plate be anywhere but the front of the vehicle and rear bumper, except for a temporary tag. These tags must be attached firmly to the vehicle. Also remember that a white light, making the plate visible, must light up the rear tag. The neon license plate frames cause difficulties with the plates at distances and are not permitted."
Old 10-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Now watch this drive

I heard that in a few years it will be federal law to have both front and rear plates. Can anyone confirm this....

/di
Old 10-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by Revanche
I heard that in a few years it will be federal law to have both front and rear plates. Can anyone confirm this....

/di
I haven't heard anything about this either way, but I highly doubt this to be true. License plates, driving laws/regulations, etc. are all state-controlled. I may be wrong, but I think for the federal government to step in would be considered a violation of states' rights. I imagine state governments would most likely take the federal government to court if something like this were passed, as it could eventually take away from the money that states receive for license plates, etc.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:43 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

I got a parking ticket once for not having my front plate. But what if I used the numbers of the real plate on the front?
Old 10-04-2004, 02:21 AM
2Poor 2Furious

Yeah I got a front plate ticket too while parked. But that was because they just installed those new red-light-runner traffic cameras. They gave me a ticket to make sure they can give me another ticket later on. Grrrr!

Besides, didn't we already have a discussion on this board about how much cleaner the TL looks without the front plates?
Old 10-04-2004, 03:04 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by t0ast
Besides, didn't we already have a discussion on this board about how much cleaner the TL looks without the front plates?
I prefer not getting a ticket.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

/di
yes. :whocares:
Old 10-04-2004, 09:01 PM
Instructor

/di
I think al gore lost the election.,.,.,.anyways in georgia you can just use a sharpie and make your own plates, so those should work just fine,.,.,.,
Old 10-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by aclura
...in georgia you can just use a sharpie and make your own plates...

so true...