Strange smell, give me some ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005 | 10:04 PM
Race Director

Question Strange smell, give me some ideas.

Hey guys,

Lately, when I accelerate moderate to hard, I get the smell of exhaust or something burnt, I cant really tell what smell it is. What should I check? All my oils are fresh, and I take an excellent care of the car, but this smell is annoying me badly.

Did anyone encountered this strange smell?

Thanx for reading.
Old 04-09-2005 | 12:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

If its a sulfur smell, you are probably using Mobil gas. For some reason that brand causes odor when the car comes off of a moderate engine load. Its not just the TL, 'cause it did the same thing with my last car. Try another brand of gas. Also, it could be something as simple as a sheet of plastic got kicked up from the road and melted onto your exhaust. It once happed to me and it was melted on so I couldnt get it back off. I just let it burn itself away in a few days. Those are my thoughts for you...

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
Hey guys,

Lately, when I accelerate moderate to hard, I get the smell of exhaust or something burnt, I cant really tell what smell it is. What should I check? All my oils are fresh, and I take an excellent care of the car, but this smell is annoying me badly.

Did anyone encountered this strange smell?

Thanx for reading.
Old 04-09-2005 | 03:16 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Does it smell like rotten eggs? If so there is an excessive build up of sulfur in the catalytic converter. Run it hard to heat up the cats and burn off the excessive sulfur and the smell should go away. Any CEL?
BTW - sulfur build-up is usually caused by running cheap low-grade gas.
Old 09-09-2005 | 11:22 PM
Advanced

i'm experiencing a wierd smell when i accelarate hard too. i'm pretty sure it's not the brakes. i know what they smell like after a hard braking. this smell is totally different. idk what to do. my gas mileage is fine, and all hoses and fluids are fine. i'm assuming it's the gas. i'll change brands next time i fill up and see if i notice the smell. my car runs and performes fine, but this smell is annoying the hell out of me.