Stock Stereo replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Stereo replacement

Well after several years of owning the TL-S ive decided to do the system. One problem is i have no idea wat size the speakers and sub are? and also can i replace the door speakers if i have nav? and also the stock sub?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:57 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

the sub is like 8 or 9 inches i never remember... all the door speakers are 6.5".

you can replace all the speakers even though you have navi or whatever... but aftermarket speakers will sound much better using an aftermarket headunit that also bypasses the oem equalizer.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
You wont be replacing the stock sub in its location, Forget about wasting your time on that. If you want better and more bass you will want to go with a sub box and a aftermarket amp
Old 01-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just recently replaced all four door speakers with Polk db6500 (front) and db650 (rear). They fit almost perfectly with the original baskets. With the supplied foam gasket on back of the speaker, it was a perfect fit. I did grind off part of the circular rim around the stock speaker grille (covered by a foam strip on the door panel) to make sure the increased height (~1/8") wouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Advanced

the sub is like 8 or 9 inches i never remember... all the door speakers are 6.5".

you can replace all the speakers even though you have navi or whatever... but aftermarket speakers will sound much better using an aftermarket headunit that also bypasses the oem equalizer.

dont want to replace factory headunit because i like the in-dash 6 cd changer.

You wont be replacing the stock sub in its location, Forget about wasting your time on that. If you want better and more bass you will want to go with a sub box and a aftermarket amp

so your saying there's no way to install an aftermarket sub in the stock location? i dont want a huge box and amp because i want trunk space. i mean even after replacing the stock speakers and sub and i stilll feel that i have no *boom* in my sound i could add a small amp to give it extra.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Burning Brakes

i dont want a huge box and amp because i want trunk space. i mean even after replacing the stock speakers and sub and i stilll feel that i have no *boom* in my sound i could add a small amp to give it extra.[/QUOTE]

You can install an aftermarket sub and amp AND still have a lot of trunk space In this case you can have your cake and eat it too See pic below...I have three amps, sub, two caps, tons of wiring with plenty of trunk space left over.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TLP_TLS
so your saying there's no way to install an aftermarket sub in the stock location? i dont want a huge box and amp because i want trunk space. i mean even after replacing the stock speakers and sub and i stilll feel that i have no *boom* in my sound i could add a small amp to give it extra.
The problem lies in that teh stock sub is a shallow mount free air sub. The rear tray isnt designed to handle the weight of a aftermarket sub, AND there is only about 2" of mounting depth before you run into the torsion bars. If you did find a sub to fit in the location it wouldnt be much different than what you already have. (many have tried in the past)

Your best bet is to find a good aftermarket sub thats requires very little cubic volume and a good amp and have a custom box made so that it doesnt take up any area.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:30 PM
WILL PLAY POOL FOR CASH

How is the sound? Was it worth it and did you change anything else: bypass eq?

Originally Posted by SpencerD
I just recently replaced all four door speakers with Polk db6500 (front) and db650 (rear). They fit almost perfectly with the original baskets. With the supplied foam gasket on back of the speaker, it was a perfect fit. I did grind off part of the circular rim around the stock speaker grille (covered by a foam strip on the door panel) to make sure the increased height (~1/8") wouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black-Balled
How is the sound? Was it worth it and did you change anything else: bypass eq?
i actually got the same speakers... db650's all around. aftermarket HU w/stock sub... sounds great. i got the polks on ebay. 2 pairs for $120 shipped.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:53 AM
WILL PLAY POOL FOR CASH

Originally Posted by stRodda
i actually got the same speakers... db650's all around. aftermarket HU w/stock sub... sounds great. i got the polks on ebay. 2 pairs for $120 shipped.
And the EQ- did you bypass it or not? If so, how is the power level vs. stock?
Thanks! Anyone else? TYIAs...
Old 01-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
I am also wondering how much of an improvement it is over the stock speakers. I know that the stocks are very thin, but how much of a difference is it? Strodda, did you have to do any modification to fit the speakers in the doors? Would I need any other equipment to swap the db650s with the stocks?
Old 04-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I noticed that you installed db6500s in the front and I'm wondering if that's a fit issue. Would there be any problem with installing the db650 in both the front and rear door speaker locations?

And did you notice an improvement in sound quailty over the factory speakers?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 04-13-2007, 01:17 AM
Prick of the month

Sorry to change the subject but...Are the Polks a good bang for the buck? How are they compared to other speakers? I don't have any experience with them. I would love to change out the crap factory speakers, especially for $120. Are there comparable or better speakers for around the same price up to $200?
Old 04-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bob_F
I noticed that you installed db6500s in the front and I'm wondering if that's a fit issue. Would there be any problem with installing the db650 in both the front and rear door speaker locations?

And did you notice an improvement in sound quailty over the factory speakers?

Thanks,

Bob
The db6500 has the same dimensions as the db650 without the tweeter. So yes the 650 will fit either front or rear. However, personally I prefer the 6500 in the front as the components provide much better clarity than the coaxials. My new setup is a huge improvment over the stock speakers in sound clarify, although not sure about the result with 650s all around.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 02TLSfan
Sorry to change the subject but...Are the Polks a good bang for the buck? How are they compared to other speakers? I don't have any experience with them. I would love to change out the crap factory speakers, especially for $120. Are there comparable or better speakers for around the same price up to $200?
Last night I read a number of very positive reviews of the Polk DB650s with an occasional complaint about harsh highs at high volumes.

Bob
Old 04-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Drifting

The db6500 has the same dimensions as the db650 without the tweeter. So yes the 650 will fit either front or rear. However, personally I prefer the 6500 in the front as the components provide much better clarity than the coaxials. My new setup is a huge improvment over the stock speakers in sound clarify, although not sure about the result with 650s all around.
Thanks for the very helpful information.

Are you still using the OEM Bose head unit?

I read somewhere in the Off-Topic "Audio & Video" forum that there could be a problem using aftermarket speakers with the OEM Bose Head Unit. If I recall correctly it was something about the 4 Ohm resistance of the stock speakers and the "pre-set" equalization settings of the Bose head unit.

Do you (or does anyone else) have any thoughts about that?

Bob
Old 04-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Bob_F
Thanks for the very helpful information.

Are you still using the OEM Bose head unit?

I read somewhere in the Off-Topic "Audio & Video" forum that there could be a problem using aftermarket speakers with the OEM Bose Head Unit. If I recall correctly it was something about the 4 Ohm resistance of the stock speakers and the "pre-set" equalization settings of the Bose head unit.

Do you (or does anyone else) have any thoughts about that?

Bob
you wont have a problem with the ohm on the TL. If you run a set of component speakers it will probably be to brite with out bypassing the EQ though
Old 04-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
you wont have a problem with the ohm on the TL. If you run a set of component speakers it will probably be to brite with out bypassing the EQ though
Thanks Kris,

I was thinking of replacing all four door speakers with 6 1/2" Polk db650 coaxial speakers.

And here's a comment I found about the built-in equalization:

BTW, for anyone thinking of replacing the stock speakers with high quality components, bypassing the BOSE EQ is necessary to avoid extremely exaggerated high end. The EQ is in a line-level "loop" with the headunit, making a pronounced frequency adjustment (mostly in the upper frequency range) in an attempt to make the existing BOSE one-way paper cones sound decent. Of course this means that you get to hear this EQ curve in all of its ugly glory once you put some decent drivers in the doors.

That was from this discussion back in 2001:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/how-many-you-changed-speakers-kept-headunit-186095/

Bypassing the equalizer sounds like a hassle so I'll probably just stick with the factory speakers.

Bob