Steering wheel leather changing color

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 10:34 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel leather changing color

I have a beige interior 2000 TL. I have only owned it for less then six months. Since I have started driving it, parts of the steering wheel are turning redish. Has anyone else had this problem ? Is there are a way to treat it chemically ? Or is there a polish ? Is the only option a steering wheel cover ? If so, what covers have you gotten that look good in the TL ?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2004, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is all of the leather on the wheel turning red'ish, or just certain spots. It could be oil from your hands that's reacting to something in the leather. I would suggest a through cleaning with a good leather clearer and conditioner. I personally use Griot's for leather, but people also use Lexol and Meguiars products and have good results. Hopefully, the red'ish color is just on the surface and will come off. If you can't get it out or it's deep into the leather, you may want to go to a leather repair shop and see what they say.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Burning Brakes

I agree with the post above. Especially with the steering wheel which gets oils from the hands. I've been using Pinnacle's Leather Cleaner & Conditioner. The other's mentioned are good choices too.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:12 PM
4th Gear

cleaners

I've tried using armorals all in one cleaner. Hasnt done much good at all. Has anyone used any KarKraft products ? I've been told eagle one cleaner and conditioner is wonderful but cant find it being sold anywhere in my area. Where do you guys get your cleaners ? Autozone and Walmart only seem to carry a few. Is there a website you order from ?

I think the discoloration is only on the surface.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-05-2004, 12:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wysmon
I have a beige interior 2000 TL. I have only owned it for less then six months. Since I have started driving it, parts of the steering wheel are turning redish. Has anyone else had this problem ? Is there are a way to treat it chemically ? Or is there a polish ? Is the only option a steering wheel cover ? If so, what covers have you gotten that look good in the TL ?

Thanks!
Some may disagree with me but I have a simple solution to the leather wheel dilemma that I have proven to work over the years. I use Wet-Ones baby wipes. I think the lanolin on the wipes keep the leather supple and also removes skin oil, lotion and other stuff that may accumulate on the wheel. I have used it on my older Acura and the wheel looked like it was new when I traded it in. It won't turn it shiny and it won't dry it out too.

Just a suggestion.