SRS issues...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 10:51 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRS issues...

I took my 02 TL in to the dealer last week for the 60,000 mile thing. $800 later, I got it back in good shape with a replaced engine mount that was the cause of some erratic shifting (according to them, although I can't really tell if it's any better than before). Two or three days later my SRS light comes on and when I called up the service department I was told that it's gonna cost me $190 just for the diagnostic, and if it's the passenger seat module it's an additional $600! Geez! So, is there any way for me to figure out what part of the SRS is fouled up. He mentioned the passenger module and the seat belt tensioners, but is there anything else that could be a possibility? And could they have done something to cause this in their tune-up or is it just bad luck? I noticed that the light that the "passenger side airbag off" light hasn't been coming on anymore when my wife leans against the door. Does that mean that the passenger seat module is the problem? Any help on this would be appreciated. If I can just take it in and tell them what it is without paying the diagnostic fee I would rather do that. Thanks a lot.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:02 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Here are the instrustions for resetting the SRS light.

1. two wires green in a yellow block (small)
2. under dash left of steering wheel as the driver sits.
3. smaller yellow block is the right one and is located one inch above another bigger yellow wire block which has a spring loaded connector.

Jump it with the paper clip, turn the car on, wait for the SRS light to go off, yank the paperclip out. It'll light up again, shove the paperclip back in...then it'll turn off. Yank it out. It'll then blink twice to tell you it's reset.

Don't worry about the timings...just do it as soon as you see the light change (and do it quick).

I cut a thin paperclip to about 2cm long, then bent it with needle nosed pliars so it looked like a staple. Then I just used the needle nosed pliars to push it in and out of the plug. Just be careful to shove it into the right side of the plug...the one side of the hole doesn't contact the metal.

(instructions copied from DareIL)
Old 11-23-2004, 02:11 AM
10th Gear

Hmm. I actually got this prob too, but its because i was doing experiments with the wires in my car.
I tried the method above and it didnt seem to work.

Which yellow plug is it to unplug? is it the one with 2 green wires attached to it? or the other one? i tried on the two green ones because that's the one i saw under the driver's seat ( the one which i was messing around with ).

any idea?
Old 11-23-2004, 11:45 AM
Race Director

you DONT unpug anything. Take off the trim below the steering wheel....now stick you body and head right below the steering wheel, now look to your left, you will see a huge yellow block with wires, and about 6 inches away or so you will see a small yellow block with two wires in them, this is the one you are jumping....in other words, when those two wires make a contact, a reset is triggered, in order to make that contact you are using a staple looking (little bended piece) of paper clip that you can sort of plug in the yellow block, which makes a bridge between the two wires.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:34 PM
2nd Gear

I know that I can turn the light off, but my question is about what the possible causes could be. While some people have the SRS light come on because they're messing around with the fuses and electrical system, mine just came on by itself. And I still don't know if the absence of the "passenger airbag off" light means that the passenger seat module is the source of my problem. Does this light/warning not function when the "SRS" light is illuminated to indicate a problem with the system?
Old 11-23-2004, 08:44 PM
Race Director

my SRS light first time went on when i was messing with electrical, neons. Then it started going on when the passenger leaned on the seat, and the yellow warning went on saying that, and if that passanger continue to do that, the SRS will go on. Its weird shiet, but too expensive to diagnose and fix. thus resetting is just fine for me.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by MVTLs
I know that I can turn the light off, but my question is about what the possible causes could be. While some people have the SRS light come on because they're messing around with the fuses and electrical system, mine just came on by itself. And I still don't know if the absence of the "passenger airbag off" light means that the passenger seat module is the source of my problem. Does this light/warning not function when the "SRS" light is illuminated to indicate a problem with the system?
if you have a problem which you probably do resetting the light wont fix the problem. having the light go off after your appt is just dumb luck. i had the passenger side module go bad on mine. 190 for diagnosis is a rip off. mine was 90. when the srs light is on NONE OF YOUR AIRBAGS WORK. its not something to mess around with if you like airbags.i would say bught the bullet and bring the car in.you may get lucky and it wil be the seatbelt part that is the recall. you just dont want to turn the light off. something is wrong
Old 11-24-2004, 12:32 AM
Acura Dealer Technician

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it to the dealer if the srs light is on.
If it's buckles it's free(covered for life)if not get the price of fix.
You don't have to pay for diag if you don't want to fix it.
Usually it's code 15-1 or 15-3 with is for opds unit or seat sensor, which is not covered and is pricey.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:13 AM
1st Gear

Could it be the battery?

I took mine in last Friday since the SRS stayed lit. Later I called back, the tech told me my battery is weak and the passenger pad sensor and control module were bad. The diag was $100, and he quoted the parts and labor to replace the sensor was $870. I decided to take my TL back and check with an independent shop.
On the way home, the battery went out. I replaced the battery, and the SRS light does not lit anymore. It has been since last Saturday, and it still OK. The SRS light would go on shortly when the car is started and goes out afterward.

Could it be the low voltage cause a glitch in the ECU?
Old 11-24-2004, 10:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Dumb question....Do you have an extended warrenty? I took my CL in when the SRS light came on and they told me it was one of the sensors and they warrentied it. No charge. I'm not sure I would F with the airbags.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Just agree and go away...

SRS Light on

What up everyone,

I too had my SRS light on, I brought into the dealer (still under warranty) and they swaped out the Occupant Position Detection system unit. They did this for free. I am not sure if your car is still under warranty, but they shouldn't be charging you if it is. But the SRS light could mean anything to do with the airbag system, just so happens that mine was the occupant position detection system unit...

Just my 2 cents...
Old 05-31-2005, 10:40 AM
Pro

So I just had my SRS light pop on and took the car in to Acura. after a $95 diagnostic test, the SRS control module (under passenger seat) was detected as faulty. They wanted $460 to replace it. After speaking with the service manager, I was re-assured that the driver's airbag still works, AND the passenger airbag will work, as long as the yellow airbag light doesn't pop on. I decided to hold off on the control unit and eat the diagnostic workup. I too have an extended warranty, but it doesn't cover the control module...
Old 05-31-2005, 11:00 PM
Race Director

thats my problem too, faulty passenger side sensor.

so he told u that even if SRS light goes on, the driver's airbags will pop? i doubt that...

thanx for the info.

By the way, disconnecting the damn passenger sensor, and clearing SRS light, SRS light will comeback right?