Springs or Sways

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 03:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Springs or Sways

Which would provide better handling. Of course, installed together they would compliment each other.
I'll have an opportunity to drive my TL on a closed road circuit next month and I don't want to take it with the stock suspension. Which should I get?
Old 07-31-2002, 07:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think upgrading the sways would provide you with more stiffness, but if I were you, I'd go with both.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:56 AM
Retired MOD

Originally posted by johnnyb_s
I think upgrading the sways would provide you with more stiffness, but if I were you, I'd go with both.
Sways do not provide stiffness. The reason automakers like to put sway bars on their cars, is because it provides better handling without sacrificing comfort, so figure that. In other words sways don't have any use unless you take a corner, which is when they come to play, other than that they don't do anything else.

they will both reduce body roll, but springs will also add more stuff like better braking, acceleration, lower to ground, better looks. A combination of both is the best, but I would go with springs first.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

If you can do both, that is best. If it is one or the other, I pick springs.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:56 AM
Pro

Springs with shocks wil be better for braking. You will not get that nose dive!
Old 07-31-2002, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

springs first
Old 07-31-2002, 12:26 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Originally posted by WiLz
springs first
Both at the same time!!
Old 08-01-2002, 01:41 PM
Moo
Pro

Springs!
Old 08-01-2002, 04:22 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Springs first.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:04 PM
Suzuka Master

I would do springs first...but if u can..definitely do both! i LOVE THEM!
Old 08-01-2002, 05:07 PM
STi
Racer

of course the best combination is coil over + sways
but talking about one single mod that makes the most difference in handling, that would be sway bars
getting new springs will reduce squat/dive, but not much in the corners, while having coilovers really take the whole handling scale up one level

good luck
Old 08-01-2002, 05:39 PM
Advanced

actually, sways with stock springs is the best. unless you go coilovers.

if you use stock shocks, aftermarket springs and sways, its pretty good. but you are gonna get a much better ride if you upgrade to adjustable shocks.

my .02
Old 08-01-2002, 08:15 PM
Intermediate

Lawaia...I totally disagree with Bitium. Sways should go first...I'll say why. First, a car is nothing more than a nicely shaped body attached to a metal frame and suspension. You feel body roll because the body of the car is not rigidly attached to this frame, nor is the frame rigidly attached to the suspension (aka wheels, springs, shocks). One of the key components that holds the body to the frame and suspension is your sway, or anti-roll bars. If anyone has installed them him or herself, as I have, it's easy to see this with how they are made and where they are placed. When you upgrade your sway bars, you more rigidly attach your body to the frame and suspension. So when you take turns, instead of your body rolling outward because of centripetal "force", it follows your frame and suspension. If you're looking for a looks thing, obviously springs win, because you can see the drop. Springs also drop the center of gravity by lowering the car body more towards the frame. And springs give you a higher spring rate so when pulling off from a stop or on hard braking, your car doesn't dip or pull as much. But for sheer slalom handling sways more than wins out over springs. A lot of people will put on springs then sways and say "springs improved, but sways finished it off" and be more inclined to suggest springs first. I've ridden in cars with only springs, only sways, and then mine which has both. The difference most noticeable in terms of the car handling is from the sways. Springs has a longer list of things it changes, but sways has more impact. Sways cost about $280, and springs cost $140, but if you do it yourself...which is extremely easy, you can do sways in 20 minutes or less. Springs take about 6 hours with two people (no power tools) or you can have them installed for $140 or so...bringing the cost of the two even.

I would suggest if you get sways you get the beefy Neuspeed ones. There has been a lot of discussion on the "other" site about them...and they seem to win out every time.

TLRunner
Old 08-02-2002, 01:25 AM
Instructor

I agree with TLRunner....Sways!
Old 08-02-2002, 01:46 PM
Retired MOD

So in which way do you disagree with me?? I install both springs and sways myself. I actually had comptechs, now I have neuspeed, no difference, unless you get the racing bar for the rear. Another thing you should look at besides springs and sways is urathane bushings. They will improve every aspect of road feel. This include changing the front swaybars rubber bushings. Other things to add are Tie bars lower/upper, to increase FRAME RIGIDLY. not sways.

Originally posted by TLRunner
Lawaia...I totally disagree with Bitium. Sways should go first...I'll say why. First, a car is nothing more than a nicely shaped body attached to a metal frame and suspension. You feel body roll because the body of the car is not rigidly attached to this frame, nor is the frame rigidly attached to the suspension (aka wheels, springs, shocks). One of the key components that holds the body to the frame and suspension is your sway, or anti-roll bars. If anyone has installed them him or herself, as I have, it's easy to see this with how they are made and where they are placed. When you upgrade your sway bars, you more rigidly attach your body to the frame and suspension. So when you take turns, instead of your body rolling outward because of centripetal "force", it follows your frame and suspension. If you're looking for a looks thing, obviously springs win, because you can see the drop. Springs also drop the center of gravity by lowering the car body more towards the frame. And springs give you a higher spring rate so when pulling off from a stop or on hard braking, your car doesn't dip or pull as much. But for sheer slalom handling sways more than wins out over springs. A lot of people will put on springs then sways and say "springs improved, but sways finished it off" and be more inclined to suggest springs first. I've ridden in cars with only springs, only sways, and then mine which has both. The difference most noticeable in terms of the car handling is from the sways. Springs has a longer list of things it changes, but sways has more impact. Sways cost about $280, and springs cost $140, but if you do it yourself...which is extremely easy, you can do sways in 20 minutes or less. Springs take about 6 hours with two people (no power tools) or you can have them installed for $140 or so...bringing the cost of the two even.

I would suggest if you get sways you get the beefy Neuspeed ones. There has been a lot of discussion on the "other" site about them...and they seem to win out every time.

TLRunner
Old 08-02-2002, 03:11 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
In general, aftermarket springs are shorter with a higher compression rate. The installed car will sit lower and corner better with a lower center of gravity. In addition, since the spring rate is higher, the car will have less movement going through the same corner. In other words, the car will sway less, similar to the effect of sway bars, only to a lesser degree.

Since different brands of springs and sway bars have different spring rates, heights, thickness, stiffness, and construction, it is fruitless to compare springs and sway bars, unless you have narrow down to a particular brand and model.
Old 08-03-2002, 04:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Thanks for all the replies!
So after all the discussion I've come to this conclusion.

Spings will provide better handling while giving the car a more agressive look. But may sacrafice on ride quality.

Sways on the other hand will provide much better handling than springs and won't degrade ride quality or change ride height.

It sure looks like sways is the way to go if all you're looking for is better handling. Is this a true conclusion or am I way off?

HELP!!
Old 08-03-2002, 05:54 PM
Retired MOD

Originally posted by Lawaia
Thanks for all the replies!
So after all the discussion I've come to this conclusion.

Spings will provide better handling while giving the car a more agressive look. But may sacrafice on ride quality.

Sways on the other hand will provide much better handling than springs and won't degrade ride quality or change ride height.

It sure looks like sways is the way to go if all you're looking for is better handling. Is this a true conclusion or am I way off?

HELP!!
Pretty close except that sways will only provide better handling when cornering and not when accelerating/braking and high-speed driving. I would recomend you only upgrade the rear sway and sway bushings in the front. The sway that neuspeed/comptech sell for the front is not worth it. Our OEM is big enough, just replaced the bushings with polyurethane bushings.