Springs, Coilovers, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 06:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Springs, Coilovers, etc...

Hey guys,

As you probably know I am new to this car stuff so please bare with me and my childish questions. First of all, I am looking to drop my car, but don't know a lick about dropping a car and what is needed. Why do people always talk about springs and coilovers? What is the difference? Do I need both of them in order to drop my car? Should I stick to one company when it comes to springs and coilovers or go with separate companies? I see there is a lot of companies in regards to springs like Comptech, H & R, etc...! Also, with coilovers I see there is Koni and other companies, but just can't remember. Do I need to replace my shocks also when I drop the car? Basically, I need one of you guys to explain the whole dropping issue and what is needed (coilovers, shocks, springs, etc...). Can anyone please explain the whole situation to me and what to get. I need the best parts for my car. Please recommend what I need in regards to coilovers, springs, shocks and whatever else is needed. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot guys!!!
Old 03-19-2002, 12:51 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Springs, Coilovers, etc...

Next time try a search.

Originally posted by Jiggaman
Hey guys,

As you probably know I am new to this car stuff so please bare with me and my childish questions.
I'm baring.

First of all, I am looking to drop my car, but don't know a lick about dropping a car and what is needed. Why do people always talk about springs and coilovers? What is the difference? Do I need both of them in order to drop my car?
You need either or. Springs and coilovers are both springs. Coilover just have sleeve that allow you to adjust the height. Depending on the brand, it could be from 1" to 4". One con about coilovers is that you can't change the spring rate. So adjusting it is only for looks and lowering the center of gravity. Usually the shoter(lower) the spring is the higher the spring rate(stiffer).

Should I stick to one company when it comes to springs and coilovers or go with separate companies? I see there is a lot of companies in regards to springs like Comptech, H & R, etc...! Also, with coilovers I see there is Koni and other companies, but just can't remember.
Since now you know they are the basically the same, this question is no longer valid. BTW Koni makes shocks.

IMO I would get H&R.

Do I need to replace my shocks also when I drop the car? Basically, I need one of you guys to explain the whole dropping issue and what is needed (coilovers, shocks, springs, etc...). Can anyone please explain the whole situation to me and what to get. I need the best parts for my car. Please recommend what I need in regards to coilovers, springs, shocks and whatever else is needed. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot guys!!!
No you don't need new shocks, unless you want to make your car sitffer. The OEM shocks are very good and can stand a drop of less than "2 very well.

My recomendation is to get H&R sport and keep your OEM shocks for a while. If you have the money, then get the Zeal or Tein complete system.

Check out this page, which will help you visually some of this stuff.

http://www.acura-tl.com/search/resul...eid=suspension